Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Calipari seeks dramatic change for Wildcat starts

By LARRY VAUGHT

After watching his team fall behind by 10 points again minutes into Saturday night's game against Vanderbilt, John Calipari says his team has to make a dramatic change.

"We have to be more desperate to start games. We have to be more desperate for 40 minutes," Calipari said even though his team won 56-47.* "We have to understand that every team that plays us is excited and in the beginning of the game, they are coming.

"Over the length of the game, like in the second half, we held these guys to 20-whatever, 24 percent in the second half from the floor. If you can understand the beginning of the games, they're playing Kentucky.

"They are in Rupp Arena. They are going to do things. They are going to play sharp. But as the game goes on, if you will stay desperate, you will have your chances."

Slow starts have become an alarming trend for a team that has struggled to live up to its preseason ranking and expectations.

"It's getting ridiculous. It's five halves in a row where we just start the game and we're getting smashed," Calipari said. "We lose a guy on a pin-down to open a game for a three. We have a simple interchange and our big guy, we're telling him: That guy drives. Do not let him shoot. Let him shoot and he makes another three.

"They had 14 points in the first half in transition and we weren't getting any. They were running back. They weren't really trying to offensive rebound. They shot it and ran back to make sure we didn't get baskets, and guess what, we didn't.

"They played zone for 40 minutes and it's really difficult, folks, when you have young guys that are still learning the feel, when to look to the post, when to -- we were thrown around the perimeter and I was trying everything to just get something to work."
    Comments 3 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
      "It's getting ridiculous. It's five halves in a row where we just start the game and we're getting smashed," Calipari said. "

I didn’t realize it was 5 straight games, but I know that has to drive Cal crazy. Don’t know that it would help, but I’d consider changing up the starting 5 and see if we can get some fresh energy on the floor from the tip.

Yep. Maybe some EJ and Nick? Might not be that, maybe something else, but change something.
      Doc -
      Somebody smarter than me once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result
      kingcat -
      Maybe a quick time out and tongue lashing would work. More so than yelling from the bench during play.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post