Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: P.J. Washington - Kentucky's Most Scrutinized Player

By LARRY VAUGHT

After Kentucky beat Texas A&M 85-74 on Tuesday night in Rupp Arena, I got this question on Twitter from a Kentucky fan.

"Am I wrong to think PJ Washington just plays when he want to play?He could be great but doesn’t have the motor."

The sophomore is probably Kentucky's most scrutinized player this season. Part of that is because he's a returning player who opted to return to UK rather than keep his name in the NBA Draft. Part of that is because he has taken over games at times with his physical play. Part is because coach John Calipari has called him a "beast" and assistant coach Kenny Payne says when anything goes wrong with the team, he looks at Washington.

== MORE ==
    Comments 9 Comments
      anderwt -
      PJ isn’t lazy, fans just wanna see him be that guy cause we know it’s in there..demand the ball on offense, shoot those little 10 foot jumpers that are wide open, instead of getting a stupid charge..
      Catfan73 -
      P.J. has abdicated his birthright as THE man on this team and we’re in the process of figuring out who that guy is going to be. Right now it’s starting to look like this is going to be Hagans’ team unless KJ or Tyler or Reid suddenly get more consistent.
      anderwt -
      I want k-state PJ and with the free Throw % he has this year.. it’s there..
      KeithKSR -
      PJ looks a lot better when Reid is playing well.
      anderwt -
      Reid has reverted to PAC 12 Reid.. he has to be quicker on the rebound and post move
      dtalbersjr -
      The perception of PJ by our fans and some media has always baffled me. PJ averages 2 more rpg than Travis in slightly fewer minutes, but the perception is that Travis always plays hard and PJ disappears at times. I don't understand it.

I actually quit following Kyle Tucker on twitter because of this. He sent a tweet out talking about PJ disappearing again. At the time of the tweet with about five minutes left in the first half, PJ had 11 points and 4 rebounds and was the only player on the team who had shown up to that point.

I'm not saying he doesn't have lapses or have stretches where he should have more of an impact. He clearly does. But PJ does seem to be judged by a higher standard for some reason.
      anderwt -
      He is judged differently cause he has a higher ceiling. PJ has game man, he is way more agile, better passer, has a good low post game. He needs to be the guy, that when our team needs a bucket, we go to PJ and needs to demand the ball.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      He is judged differently cause he has a higher ceiling. PJ has game man, he is way more agile, better passer, has a good low post game. He needs to be the guy, that when our team needs a bucket, we go to PJ and needs to demand the ball.
      Yup. To use a Sabanism, we judge him to a standard, not by comparison. His standard of play is Kansas State/NCAA (and many other games, and may other parts of games). Playing to that standard is the test, not judging him compared to other players. We compare him to the best version of himself.
      dan_bgblue -
      Have you noticed he is also the peacemaker, getting in between players and making sure the opponent understands that his intent could turn ugly in a heartbeat? Cost him a foul against A&M but he made sure Hagans was protected against the behemoth.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post