Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Nerlens Noel trek a family affair

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Family affair
    Noel says he developed his basketball skills playing against his father, Yonel, and older brothers Jim and Rodman during backyard pickup games or by watching Boston Celtics games on television with them.

“It started with them in the backyard playing two-on-two. It just really grew on us. Our love for the game grew. My brothers always pushed me. They were hard on me. I mean, look what it has done for me now. Put me in a great position and given me a chance to play at the University of Kentucky. That’s real special. I credit my family for that,” Noel said.

Jim Noel is now a 6-4, 200-pound senior defensive back at Boston College. Rodman Noel is a 6-3, 210-pound sophomore linebacker at North Carolina State. Nerlens Noel also played football.

“I played my whole life growing up, he said. “I played a lot of positions — quarterback, running back, safety, receiver, corner, defensive end. I threw that ball real good. I gave up football after my sophomore year in high school when I played quarterback and receiver.”

Does he ever think of maybe playing college football even now?

“They could throw me in. I don’t mind. I could line up at receiver and go grab a few balls for Kentucky,” he said.
    Comments 4 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      BOOM. # 6 of 13 new Kentucky basketball articles.
      Krank -
      I'll take a 50 clones of Nerlens Noel and 50 clones of Willie Cauley-Stein for our football team. Hold the mayo.

One "serious" question for Larry or whoever might know... did Mr. and Mrs. Noel select the first name of their first born due to liking the basketball of Dennis Rodman?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
      I'll take a 50 clones of Nerlens Noel and 50 clones of Willie Cauley-Stein for our football team. Hold the mayo.

One "serious" question for Larry or whoever might know... did Mr. and Mrs. Noel select the first name of their first born due to liking the basketball of Dennis Rodman?
      Interesting...does the time frame work? I'm too lazy to look it up, and too forgetful to remember.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Interesting...does the time frame work? I'm too lazy to look it up, and too forgetful to remember.
      My quick math said that, yes, it did, guessing that DR was part of the "Bad Boys" Pistons at the time their first born felt the doctor's fanny slap.
  • KSR Twitter Feed