Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Has Kentucky identified its "go-to" player?

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky needs a go-to player. Hopefully it figured out who that player is Saturday in its overtime loss to Seton Hall.

Sophomore PJ Washington had 29 points, 12 rebounds (he originally was credited with 13 but the statistics were revised Sunday), four blocks and three assists. He was 8-for-14 from the field and 12-for-13 from the foul line — a tribute to how hard he’s worked since the end of last season on his foul shooting.

What’s even more impressive about Washington is that he got 16 of his points in the final six minutes of regulation and five minutes of overtime. What’s even more perplexing is how Kentucky failed to get him the ball on the final possession when it was down by just one point.

Calipari said after the game that the end of the game Washington is “who he should be the whole game” because he can be that good. Remember a little over a week ago when Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne said he thought Washington was the player who made the Cats go?

Calipari even wondered why Washington wasn’t get 35 points and 20 rebounds per game. Never mind that no player in the country is averaging that many points or rebounds per game — much less one player doing both.

“If that’s who you are, and you’re making free throws and you’re doing the things that you’re doing, you’re as good as any player in the country,” Calipari said after the game. “Be that guy every night. Hard though. It’s really hard to be that guy every night. I mean you got to bring it. That’s lunch pail.”

He’s right. It is hard but count me as one who still believes Washington not only can be UK’s go-to guy, but one of the best players period.

Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard is a believer, too, after what he saw Saturday at Madison Square Garden.

“I tell you what, that kid, he’s going to make a lot of money. Watching him on film, I was really impressed. But when you see him in person, and you see his size and athleticism. He’s the real deal. He really is,” Willard said.* “I love the way he plays. He plays hard. He doesn’t just float to the outside. He got inside and posted up.”

Again, makes one wonder why UK didn’t get the ball to him on the final possession to give him a chance to score, get fouled or both.

Washington made no excuses for UK’s loss and credited Seton Hall star Myles Powell for making “tough” shots the second half to help his team win.

“We played great defense on him, but he’s making tough, contested shots over us. He played his butt off and they’re a good team and we need to watch film and learn from it,” Washington said.

And while the Cats are watching that film, some of Washington’s teammates could also learn by watching him and figuring out how to make sure he gets the ball in the right spots even more than he did Saturday.

Washington averaged 10.8 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game last year while shooting 51.9 percent from the field and 60.6 percent at the foul line. This year he’s averaging 14 points, 8.9 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game despite playing three less minutes per game. He’s shooting 51.9 percent per game but is taking two more shots per game. He’s making 70.8 percent of his foul shots. He’s also 8-for-15 from 3-point range after making just five of 21 last year.

So not only does Washington look like he’s playing well, the numbers support it because they are all better than last year and could well just keep getting better and better.
    Comments 6 Comments
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      Not yet. He needs to play well a few games in a row without taking one off
      Absolutely.

He took plenty of time off vs Seton Hall, most of it on the defensive end, but there were times he seemed pretty disinterested on the offensive end. Of course, the same could be said about most of UK's players as I don't think I remember a Cal team at UK that seems so lost on offense.

As to PJ, to be fair he has become very, very good when he is engaged and when he is attacking the basket. He just needs to play that way on both ends for every second he is in the game.

But his playing like he did vs SH will only reinforce Cal's worst tendencies as a coach since every time down we will try to post him meaning our guards become nothing more than guys who are on the court to play defense.
      kybobcat -
      A big man can't be the "go-to" player with the game on the line. They're too easy to cover. (See: Wisconsin, 2015)

A perimeter player capable of

• creating something with the ball or
      • being en fuego from the outside (See: Seton Hall, 2018)

is the answer for end of game situations.
      KeithKSR -
      Keldon has the best potential as go to guy.
      catmanjack -
      Does he create well enough off the dribble?
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      Keldon has the best potential as go to guy.
      I agree. He absolutely wants the ball at the end.
      kingcat -
      I like Quade in that situation
  • KSR Twitter Feed