Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Calipari not discouraged by Seton Hall loss

By LARRY VAUGHT

Seton Hall came into Saturday’s game with Kentucky in Madison Square Garden as the worst shooting 3-point team in the Big East.

It ended Saturday’s game with Kentucky thanks to a 3-point dagger in overtime that was one of 11 3’s it made it the game to upset Kentucky 84-83 on a trey by Myles Cale over the defense of PJ Washington and Nick Richards.

Earlier in regulation Myles Powell hit a jumper over Immanuel Quickley with 1.1 seconds left to give Seton Hall — 9-3 in its last 12 games in Madison Square Garden — an 70-67 lead with 1.5 seconds left to play. However, Kentucky got a miracle 3-pointer from Keldon Johnson at midcourt before the buzzer to force overtime.

Kentucky lost despite a career-high 29 points and 13 rebounds from Washington. The sophomore who had trouble making a free throw against Kansas State in last year’s NCAA Tournament loss was 12-for-13 at the foul line and 8-for-15 from the field in 35 minutes. He also had four assists and four blocked shots.

Kentucky coach John Calipari told Tom Leach on the UK Radio Network after the game that Washington, who had not scored in double digits the previous three games, needed to “be that guy every night.”

Reid Travis had 13 points, six rebounds, two steals and two assists in 34 minutes before fouling out. Tyler Herro had 10 points but missed nine of 13 shots, including all six 3-pointers. Johnson also had 10 points after not scoring in the first half along with five rebounds.

Kentucky was just 27 of 62 from the field, including 9-for-29 the first half. It missed 15 of 20 3-pointers but Quickley was 2-for-3 from long range.

After shutting down Seton Hall’s Myles Powell in the first half, he scored 25 of his 28 points in the second half and overtime. He was 6-for-11 from 3-point range, and all the makes came in the second half.

The bigger Cats won the rebounding battle only 39-35 and gave up 10 offensive boards. Kentucky also had five shots blocked.

Yet in a bit of a surprise, Calipari told Leach he was not discouraged even if Kentucky fans certainly are going to be.

“When you fight and defend like we did in the first half, we’re going to be fine,” Calipari said on the postgame radio show. “We made strides. We are a better team than we were two weeks ago. I hate losing but I’m not discouraged. You have a chance to win that game, win it.”

But Kentucky didn’t “win it” and most would think that might be discouraging even if Calipari says it is not.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post