Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Stoops believes "inexcusable" loss no time to change offensive philosophy

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops and UK fans agree on one thing — the Cats’ play in a 24-7 loss at Tennessee Saturday was “inexcusable” from start to finish.

Kentucky’s problem continues to be a lack of consistent offense, something Stoops hinted that might result in some changes this week. However, he didn’t sound that way Monday when asked if it was time to re-think UK’s offensive philosophy.

“No, that wouldn’t be a very good idea. We got two opportunities to get the most victories we’ve had in the regular season since when? Since 1977. I don’t think that’d be very wise,” Stoops said.

Why?

“We did a lot of good things to win seven games. We plan on trying to get the eighth and ninth. I appreciate all the good things that they did to put us in that position. That would be called panic-mode,” Stoops said.

Of course, said might argue that not making changes to an offense that has scored two or less touchdowns in five straight games — and didn’t have a touchdown the second half of the previous game — would be worse than “panic-mode” going into Saturday’s game against Middle Tennessee.

Beat Middle and then beat Louisville and UK will finish 9-3 and have its most regular-season wins since a 10-1 mark in 1977. But to win a team has to be able to score more than UK has been doing no matter how solid a defense it has — and the UK defense seems to be wearing down for obvious reasons.

“We weren’t ready to play at the level that we need to play at. Again, I think you could see Tennessee where maybe they played that way the week before and they got it straightened out and came out and played with a lot of passion and energy, and our team has done that throughout this year,” Stoops said Monday.

Key words: Has done that. Kentucky didn’t do that at Tennessee. Not anywhere close.

“To get our eighth victory, again, it’s very important. Doesn’t diminish all the good things our team has done this year and I appreciate their effort throughout the season,” Stoops said looking back to last week. “Again, as I mentioned Saturday, I didn’t do a good enough job of getting them motivated and getting them prepared to play last week and that’s what we have to do. We’ll get back at it here this week.
    Comments 13 Comments
      anderwt -
      It’s why stoops does well in sept and October but craps the bed in November..no adjustments
      Dokker -
      This is right up there with the Jerry Claiborne comment of "I'd do the same thing again if I had another chance."
      catmanjack -
      Sometimes being stubborn leads to blindness.
      kingcat -
      Yeah I have defended him this year but he seems to be reverting to his childlike self. Saban would get a chuckle from such an adolescent attitude

And He’ll lose another with that attitude
      Terry Blue -
      The way the question was asked, it sounded like he was being asked if changing the "offensive philosophy" with 2 games to go in the regular season might not be a good idea. Of course, it takes weeks if not months to incorporate a new offense. In that context, that question was dumb. One reason the 2nd half record hasn't been as good as the first is the upgrade in competition. We usually play 2 if not 3 of our non conference opponents then
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      Yeah I have defended him this year but he seems to be reverting to his childlike self. Saban would get a chuckle from such an adolescent attitude

And He’ll lose another with that attitude
      Funny you mention Saban. I was reading this and thinking about how he has evolved and is willing to loosen the reigns on his OCs the last few years. IMO it has led to the best stretch of his amazing coaching career. Maybe Stoops should take a look at that.
      anderwt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      The way the question was asked, it sounded like he was being asked if changing the "offensive philosophy" with 2 games to go in the regular season might not be a good idea. Of course, it takes weeks if not months to incorporate a new offense. In that context, that question was dumb. One reason the 2nd half record hasn't been as good as the first is the upgrade in competition. We usually play 2 if not 3 of our non conference opponents then

Stoops wants fans to forget the past when he wins in sept and October, but then remind us how bad we sucked when we lose games in November...
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKERCATFAN View Post
      Funny you mention Saban. I was reading this and thinking about how he has evolved and is willing to loosen the reigns on his OCs the last few years. IMO it has led to the best stretch of his amazing coaching career. Maybe Stoops should take a look at that.
      But to Terry's point above, you can change your offensive "philosophy" from season to season, but not with two games to go in a season. Should we move to a zone read triple option to play MTSU and U6?
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
      But to Terry's point above, you can change your offensive "philosophy" from season to season, but not with two games to go in a season. Should we move to a zone read triple option to play MTSU and U6?
      No the philosophy shouldn’t change. However, loosening the reigns on an ultra conservative approach isn’t too much to ask for.
      catmanjack -
      You don't really believe that UK football fans think you can change a philosophy with two games left in the season? Stoops should be a good enough head coach to know that the ship is taking on water and I need to look at the game file and develop a game plan that will allow my team to be successful and score more then 7 points.
      It's the in game adjustments or game to game adjustments that never happen hence the later half of the season losses.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
      kingcat -
      There is no real comparison to post halftime of the SC game to our offense previous to that. Other than the players of course..

So it is not a season to season offensive "philosophy" we are talking about, but a return to a superior and stunningly successful "philosophy" from the current and obviously inferior one, imho.

The whole football world knows the UK offense disappeared at that point. And so by our staff ignoring it, it is hard to see them as anything but clueless, uncaring, or throwing games.

But I still believe it is Gran
      CitizenBBN -
      "Wow, we really stank."

"so, what are you going to do about it?"

"Nothing. Don't want to make it worse."

Does that about sum it up?
      Dokker -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      "Wow, we really stank."

"so, what are you going to do about it?"

"Nothing. Don't want to make it worse."

Does that about sum it up?
      Pretty much. The fact that after a 2 week break UK could only muster 14 (thanks to a last drive) against Vandy illustrates how the staff was refusing to make any kind of adjustments or alterations.

Points against Vandy by the SEC this year, which one of these is not like the others: 37, 41, 37, 14, 31, 33

So we have 2 weeks(!) to prepare for a home game against Vandy, and score 17 points less against them than anyone else in the SEC? Pretty pathetic.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post