Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Blast from the Past: Eric Bledsoe, pre-Kentucky

Thought you might enjoy this feature Larry Vaught did with three guys who saw Eric Bledsoe before he headed to Kentucky. I had to smile at a couple of comments. You choose your own.

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kevin Scarbinsky covers Southeastern Conference basketball for the Birmingham News. Dave Telep and Evan Daniels are national recruiting analysts for Scout.com. However, all three know plenty about Birmingham point guard Eric Bledsoe and offer their insights into his decision to play for the Wildcats.

Question: How good a player is Bledsoe?

Scarbinsky: “True point. Great off the dribble. Seems able to get in the lane at will. Perfect for John Calipari's dribble-drive motion offense. Very unselfish. Best high school point in this state since Ronald Steele. Much quicker than Steele, but needs much work on his jumper. Definite SEC player but not a one-and-done guy like a Derrick Rose.”

Daniels: “The thing that we liked the most about Bledsoe was his ability to win. He finds the winner circle and that’s a characteristic that can’t be taught. We think he’s the 6th best point guard and overall a strong Top 40 prospect. If the Cats don’t get John Wall, then Bledsoe will start from day on at UK.”

Telep: “Eric is a consummate point guard. He’s a guy who wins. What I liked best about him last year was his competitive drive and presence on the court. Never rattled, always in the mix. Needs to become a better shooter but he’s got intangibles at the position that are not quantifiable. Look at his track record: his teams find the winner’s circle.”

Question: What will Kentucky fans like best about him?

Scarbinsky: “The thing UK fans will like best about Eric Bledsoe? Two things. His motor and his smile. Seems like, on the court, he never turns either of them off.”

Daniels: “Bledsoe brings a sense of toughness to the table and that’s something that every fan base enjoys. He’s a tough kid that will fit right in the system.”

Telep: “Kentucky fans will appreciate the quiet competitive fire that burns in Eric Bledsoe. He’s never been told he’s good, never needed to hear it. He just plays.”

Question: Does it surprise you that he signed with Kentucky?

Scarbinsky: “Yes and no. Yes, because I thought he would wait for John Wall's decision and go to the school Wall didn't choose, which Parker High coach Maurice Ford told me had been the plan. No, because it's hard to say no to Kentucky, and it's hard to say no to Cal, and put them together, and it's really hard to say no to Cal at Kentucky.

Daniels: “It wasn’t a surprise that Bledsoe picked Kentucky. Initially I thought it may be tough for the new Kentucky staff to get back involved with him, but it was clear that Bledsoe was open and just looking for the overall best fit. Coach Calipari moved quickly on him and were able to secure one of the only quality lead guards still on the board.”

Telep: “Not at all. He was the best player on the board not named John Wall. UK needs someone it can hand the basketball to and feel good about it. Getting John Wall would be a home run. However, if you miss and don’t have a guy that can be a maestro for the offense you’d be at a competitive disadvantage. Offering and recruiting Bledsoe was right for the program.”

Question: Since Bledsoe seemed to fill the one big void Calipari still had at Kentucky, what do you think this UK recruiting class could mean for SEC basketball?

Scarbinsky: “If this class is as good as advertised, and Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson come back (instead of going to the NBA), it means trouble for the rest of the SEC. It means Kentucky will be back in a big way in a hurry. For a parallel, see Nick Saban at Alabama. A proven coach at a proven program is as close to a guarantee as it gets.”

Daniels: “I think it means more for the program, than their conference. Calipari and Kentucky are a dangerous combination and he’s proving that earlier than anyone expected. He went from what was going to be the top recruiting class at Memphis to what is shaping up to be the best recruiting class in 2009 at Kentucky.”

Telep: “SEC basketball took a beating the past two seasons. It simply wasn’t the same league we’ve all come to know and expect. Now there are some real sluggers on the sidelines that are mixing with an outstanding group of young coaches. The profile of the league went way up in the offseason. It’s a big deal.”
    Comments 5 Comments
      anderwt -
      I'll be honest, I try not to bring his name up much..we got lucky with that situation according to my buddy on here..
      Darrell KSR -
      Oh, Larry's not too bad. He won't get us in much trouble .
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      I'll be honest, I try not to bring his name up much..we got lucky with that situation according to my buddy on here..
      Some people were definitely sharpening their knives for us.

Have you guys seen the movie Necessary Roughness? There's a scene where the team gets in a fight with a rival Texas team that is #1 in the country. The dean, who is trying to shutdown football, hears about it on a police scanner and rushes over.

He gets there and everyone is making nice and the Sheriff and the coaches are chatting. He asks what's up and the football coach explains that if his team got in trouble then the #1 team would get in trouble too, and you don't get re-elected sheriff by getting the #1 team in trouble.

As Darrell and the rest of the Bham mafia said at the time, UK basketball got covered by Bama football. You sure don't get elected to the school board or made principal by exposing grade issues that may lead to a football player or Heaven forbid to Bama.

"definitely not a one and done guy like Rose"

Well sorta true, he didn't go #1, but the rest was way off. He didn't consider who would be coaching him.
      UKHistory -
      That was a scary situation for me. And thing is it was not like the Eddie Sutton mess or the Herald Leader story.

This would have been UK getting hit because of issues beyond our control.

Thank goodness it worked out. I think Birmingham Public Schools didn't understand the situation when they hired that outside firm.
      Darrell KSR -
      Bham City Schools got doublecrossed, but since they had the ultimate authority no matter what, they limited their exposure. Eric was a byline in a bigger picture.
  • KSR Twitter Feed