Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky Volleyball -- AVCA Preseason Coaches Poll # 5

Basically picking up where we left off last year.

Comments 3 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      IIRC correctly they lost 3 important players, but they will be replaced by seasoned players with really good skills.
      dan_bgblue -
      Dusek, Franklin, and Mack all graduate right?
      Darrell KSR -
      It will be fun to watch.

Cats lost MB Kaz Brown, L/DS Ashley Dusek, MB Emily Franklin and OH Darian Mack. Also lost Hempel and Dailey, but those weren't major losses.

Cats return Leah Edmond, who led the team in kills with 539, and Avery Skinner, who was 2nd on the team in kills with 362. Kaz Brown had 289, Emily Franklin 243 and Darian Mack 146. Brown and Franklin had the highest hitting percentages.

I really think we'll be fine offensively. Madison Lilley had 1,445 assists (Dusek had 82 for 2nd, and Gabby Currey 37 for 3rd), and she knows how to put the ball where it can be effective. Edmond and Skinner will feast this year with Lilley sets again.

Dusek had 405 digs, but Curry was very serviceable as a libero in her absence, notching 275 digs. Edmond had 239, Lilley 237, and Watson 208, so I think we'll be good to go there as well, with Curry possibly moving over to the full-time libero slot.

Things to watch for to see if UK will really be top 5 again this year? If we're right in thinking Lilley will make players effective hitters or not. We know Edmonds and Skinner are two of the best. But how about Alli Sumler, a 6'1 OH, freshman # 38 from PrepVolleyball?

Or will soph Kendyl Paris, a 6-3 MB come into her own (another top 100 PrepVolleyball player?)

Will it be time for 6'2 senior Anna Nyberg, who has not played much since her freshman year, to rejuvenate? She was...yeup, another top 100 Prep Volleyball player (# 68). Any player whose hometown is "Tomahawk, Wisconsin" ought to get some street cred.

Probably will be 6'5 MB senior Brooke Morgan who steps up. She was an all-SEC Freshman, lot of experience, and was the # 12 player in the country out of high school.

(I don't really think it will be hometown Merideth Jewell from Louisville, known more for defense than offense, but at 5'11, big enough. Another top 100 player. Craig Skinner gets them almost as much as John Calipari gets them.)

Arguably, it could be Kentucky's best year ever. I'm a little more worried about the year after next when we lose even more seniors, and then when Edmonds and Skinner roll off, we better have reloaded. Plus it wouldn't hurt to get a super-stud, possibly the best setter in the country replacement for Madison Lilley, either.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post