Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with Blue Ribbon's Chris Dortch

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Chris Dortch with then-UK coach Billy Gillispie

1. Does Blue Ribbon have Kentucky picked to win the SEC again?
    Yes we do. This team can’t possibly be as good as last year’s but I’ve heard it favorably compared with Cal’s second team at UK, which of course made it to the Final Four.

2. Where does Blue Ribbon see Kentucky fitting in the national championship race this year?
    I believe a third straight Final Four appearance is possible as long as the Cats buy into defense and rebounding. This team may not be able to score as well as last year’s, but if Julius Mays and Kyle Wiltjer, both 40 percent 3-point shooters, can shoot that well again, who knows?

3. Who is the most intriguing player on the Kentucky roster this year?
    Willie Cauley-Stein. Can you imagine that dude, at 7 feet, coming at your if you’re a 5-9 cornerback? He played wide receiver for his high school, so you know he’s a great athlete. I’ve been told he’s ahead of Nerlens Noel (who of course missed 16 days of summer practice), and that he’s more advanced offensively than the coaches thought. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Cauley-Stein and Noel together on the floor.

4. Who is perhaps the underrated player who could determine UK's final success in a much bigger way than most expect?
    See above. I think Cauley-Stein may be significantly better than people thought and can help Noel lock down the inside while also getting his share of points around the basket.

5. What would be your biggest concern about UK going into the season?
    Lack of experience. People tend to forget that last year’s team had Darius Miller, without whom Kentucky wouldn’t have won the national championship, and Terrance Jones and Doron Lamb, two future first-round draft choices who had Final Four experience.

6. What makes you feel the best about UK going into the season?
    Once again, the sheer talent of their top six players. It’s as good as anybody’s.

7. Finally, can Calipari continue to exceed expectations on and off the court at UK?
    After you’ve won the national title, you can’t exceed any other ceiling in the college game. Can he win it every year? No. But let’s put it this way. If he continues to recruit the way he has, Kentucky will have a chance to win it every year, and really, the only other programs you can say that about are Duke and North Carolina. Not to disparage other programs, but even Kansas and Michigan State, great as they are, aren’t in that category.

8. Give me a promo on how and when to get Blue Ribbon for fans

If people want the book:

IPad version of the book goes on sale Oct 4.

Printed version should ship out by Oct. 12.

You can get it here:

www.blueribbonyearbookonline.com

We’re in our 32nd printing and now, with Street and Smith’s having gone by the wayside, are the oldest preview guide and the “bible” of college hoops.
    Comments 3 Comments
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      1. Does Blue Ribbon have Kentucky picked to win the SEC again?
      Yes we do. This team can’t possibly be as good as last year’s but I’ve heard it favorably compared with Cal’s second team at UK, which of course made it to the Final Four.

2. Where does Blue Ribbon see Kentucky fitting in the national championship race this year?
      I believe a third straight Final Four appearance is possible as long as the Cats buy into defense and rebounding. This team may not be able to score as well as last year’s, but if Julius Mays and Kyle Wiltjer, both 40 percent 3-point shooters, can shoot that well again, who knows?

3. Who is the most intriguing player on the Kentucky roster this year?
      Willie Cauley-Stein. Can you imagine that dude, at 7 feet, coming at your if you’re a 5-9 cornerback? He played wide receiver for his high school, so you know he’s a great athlete. I’ve been told he’s ahead of Nerlens Noel (who of course missed 16 days of summer practice), and that he’s more advanced offensively than the coaches thought. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Cauley-Stein and Noel together on the floor.

4. Who is perhaps the underrated player who could determine UK's final success in a much bigger way than most expect?
      See above. I think Cauley-Stein may be significantly better than people thought and can help Noel lock down the inside while also getting his share of points around the basket.

5. What would be your biggest concern about UK going into the season?
      Lack of experience. People tend to forget that last year’s team had Darius Miller, without whom Kentucky wouldn’t have won the national championship, and Terrance Jones and Doron Lamb, two future first-round draft choices who had Final Four experience.

6. What makes you feel the best about UK going into the season?
      Once again, the sheer talent of their top six players. It’s as good as anybody’s.

7. Finally, can Calipari continue to exceed expectations on and off the court at UK?
      After you’ve won the national title, you can’t exceed any other ceiling in the college game. Can he win it every year? No. But let’s put it this way. If he continues to recruit the way he has, Kentucky will have a chance to win it every year, and really, the only other programs you can say that about are Duke and North Carolina. Not to disparage other programs, but even Kansas and Michigan State, great as they are, aren’t in that category.

8. Give me a promo on how and when to get Blue Ribbon for fans

If people want the book:

IPad version of the book goes on sale Oct 4.

Printed version should ship out by Oct. 12.

You can get it here:

www.blueribbonyearbookonline.com

We’re in our 32nd printing and now, with Street and Smith’s having gone by the wayside, are the oldest preview guide and the “bible” of college hoops.

Correction.....much better than anybodys.
      Darrell KSR -
      Love Chris Dortch. Thanks, Larry.
      Doc -
      Only criticism is Lamb was a second round pick. I 100% agree about will Cauley being under rates. Still though I'm holding onto my prediction that Alex is the man who most carries the team.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post