Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• It's All About the Head Coach

By: LONNY DEMAREE

We've always said that winning at a high level is about the right head coach. It's been proven many times down through the years that the right coach can win at most schools.

Mark Stoops comes from a linage of coaches of which Bob Stoops has been the most successful. He was 190-48, 9-9 in bowls, 12 Big Twelve championships, and one national championship in sixteen years as a head coach. He has had an abundance of talent and conventional wisdom says perhaps he should have won more national championships.

Change in the theme of the day. I've said that for a novice head coach especially at Kentucky it is difficult putting a effective staff together. Now that his job stability is established he has been able to hire good coaches. What may prove to be a coup is the hiring of Eddie Gran and Darin Hinshaw. Gran has been doing what he does for a long time however the great coaches change at times.

Example: LSU has had comparable talent to Alabama a long time but the Nick Saban's of the world know what they are going to do before they do it. Saban is a technician but the people he hires to run his offenses are head-scratcher's that work their magic. LSU for the most part has done the same thing every year.

I say that Eddie Gran as successful as he's been needs not to get stuck in the same mode where opposing coaches know how to stop what you do.

One of the most amazing and unconventional offensive plays I've ever seen is what Willie Taggert did against UK when he was at Western Kentucky University. On Kentucky's two-yard line Taggert ran a quarterback-throw-back to win the game in then Commonwealth Stadium. I've always said it's moves such as that that spring-boarded his career.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post