Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Richards, bigs to train like guards

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky coach John Calipari has confidence that center Nick Richards is going to have a more productive sophomore season.

"He’s gotten way more comfortable, way more confident, way more physical," Calipari said Thursday on the SEC summer coaches teleconference. "But he’s going to have to demonstrate performance in games so that he builds his own confidence.

"It’s not what I’m going to do or what I say. He’s gotta go do it. We’re working with him every day."

But Calipari has bigger plans for him -- along with P.J. Washington, E.J. Montgomery and Reid Travis.

"I want him to train as though he’s a guard. I want him to have those kinds of skills at the end of the day. Just like Reid. Just like PJ and just like EJ," Calipari said.

None have shown they can be 3-point threats in college. However, with the positionless style of play in the NBA, Calipari knows his four "bigs" need to show they can do more than score inside.

"They all are being trained as though they’re guards, but I want them to finish like they’re bigs," Calipari said. "I said to PJ and Reid, ‘You two are bulls. You two are so physical. You don’t want to get away from that, but undersized bullies don’t make it in that next level. You’ve got to have great movement. You’ve gotta be able to fly up and down the court. You better be able to space the court out. You don’t have to make them all out there. You just can’t miss them all out there.’

"Those are the things we’re working on with all of these guys.”
    Comments 5 Comments
      Padukacat -
      Nick Richards=Moises globally
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Actually I think this is kinda new for Cal to do with bigs. Cuz, AD, KAT really never got to work on perimeter games much at UK IMO. They were pretty much low post guys only.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKERCATFAN View Post
      Actually I think this is kinda new for Cal to do with bigs. Cuz, AD, KAT really never got to work on perimeter games much at UK IMO. They were pretty much low post guys only.
      When a big wants to stand at the 3 point line he makes them learn to play in the post. When they only know how to play in the post he's pushing them to a face up game.

In a way it makes perfect sense, making them more well rounded and giving them better pro prospects. But it's still funny.
      Philly Cat -
      "You know that we post our guards a lot?"
      John Calipari to Marcus Camby
      Harlow -
      I don't like it!! Reid Pj and Richards stay in post we have guys who can shoot
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post