Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kole Cottam selected by Boston Red Sox in 4th Round of MLB Draft

UK Media Relations

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kole Cottam became the third Kentucky player selected in the 2018 Major League Baseball Draft when the Boston Red Sox picked him in the fourth round on Tuesday. The Knoxville, Tennessee native was the 130th overall pick.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pounder junior was selected by the storied Red Sox franchise as a catcher, his primary position for much of his three-year collegiate career. He had the larger share at first base of a first base/catcher platoon with senior Troy Squires this season, earning First-Team All-Southeastern Conference honors from the coaches as a first baseman, as well as Second-Team All-America by Collegiate Baseball.

The first-time draftee had a sensational 2018 season, flashing his plus power stroke on a consistent basis all year. He finished with 19 home runs, the ninth-most for a single-season in UK history, on his way to a 1.105 OPS. Cottam led the team with a .352 average, 54 runs and 77 hits. He added 12 doubles, 31 walks, four steals and 51 RBI.

Cottam’s raw numbers weren’t empty either. He homered in eight of the Cats’ 10 series against SEC opponents and 12 of 14 weekends overall. He led the conference with 10 home runs in league play and finished the season ranked in the top five in the SEC in home runs (1st), doubles (4th), RBI (1st), total bases (2nd), slugging (3rd).

He twice had game-winning hits in the eighth inning to win a series, including a bases loaded infield hit to make UK the only team to take a series from Georgia in Athens and a grand slam to erase a three-run deficit and knock off Missouri, a hit that earned him SEC Player of the Week. Cottam also was named a CoSida All-District Academic Team member.

For his career, Cottam hit .326 in 151 games (129 start) with 99 runs, 162 hits, 30 doubles, one triple, 27 home runs and 11 RBI. He ranks 26th on the school’s career hit list and owns a hefty .952 career OPS.

KOLE COTTAM BIO

• 2018 First-Team All-SEC (1B)

• 2018 Second-Team All-America (Collegiate Baseball)

• 2018 Second-Team All-America (College Sports Madness)

• 2018 CoSida Academic All-District Team

• SEC Academic Honor Roll (2017)

• SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll (2016)
    Comments 2 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Whatever he chooses to do, I wish him the best he has overcome so much to reach this moment
      Darrell KSR -
      Truly an inspiring story.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post