Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• The Cats Lair lll

By: LONNY DEMAREE

• Given the swift passing of time football talk is very prevalent because the 2018 class of football Players are now preparing to enroll for summer school and there will be no doubt a hand full of those will be early contributors.

• Generally those ready to contribute early are running backs and the Cats have two Kavosiey Smoke from Wetumpka, Alabama and Chris Rodriquez from McDonough, Ga.

• But for now we will concentrate on the present roster and highlight a few players that need to perform well for this team to reach the level the BBN would like to see.

• It would be ideal for the Cats to see more of and even better output from wide receiver Zy’Aire Hughes. The receiving corps needs his performance because of his needed depth and for his top-end speed. He showed a lot of potential at the position during spring practice.

* Also at that position it’s easy to overlook former walkon from Lexington Catholic David Bouvier because of his height. But during spring practice he continuously interjected himself as a big man in the offense – what are his assets? 1) Fourth year in the college game; 2) His attention to detail; 3) His precise route running; 4) His great hands; 5) and his surprising quickness. Wide receiver coach Michael Smith there will definitely be a place for him in this offense.

• Next in the area of putting points on the scoreboard – that receiver is Isaiah Epps who also has the speed necessary to get deep. This young man will be in his second year and no doubt will be stronger, more mature, and has had a taste of what it takes to be successful in the SEC. He come from one of the most traditional high school powers in all of Oklahoma and dare I say Midwest area of the country.

• Running back A. J. Rose who has been fighting some adversities since coming to Kentucky is starting to show publicly what the coaches have been talking about. Again, another speedy guy. He has to supply some experienced depth to that position. Rose is also the roommate of Benny Snell and having been redshirted could be the heir to that position when and if Snell turns pro.

• Given some of exits from the linebacking corps that have weaken the depth of Downhill Thumpers, freshman DeAndre Square will need to continue showing what the coaches were raving about and even some of his teammates throughout spring practice.

• Oh, by the way out of the football glossary a Downhill Thumper is a physical linebacker who attacks and plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

• Another needed performer is Defensive end 6-foot-9, 310-pounds Calvin Taylor. He came to the Wildcats a couple years back as a then 6-foot-9, 265-pound project. He now knows how to play the game and has quietly shown effective play-making ability. According to defensive line coach Derrick LeBlanc he will likely no longer be quiet.
    •

• For needed improvement in the secondary Lexington Henry Clay star Davonte Robinson 6-foot-2, 205-pounds needs to be what his coaches think he can be. Having been electronically timed in a 4.32 forty yard dash, again he has great top-end speed. This is the pick-to-click.

• Tight end Justin Rigg 6-foot-6, 260-pounds is another player needing to better the depth behind C. J. Conrad, that SEC pundits say is the best tight end in the league. Rigg has also experienced hard luck since arriving at UK.

• Having lost a couple of good in-state 2019 recruits Vince Marrow has stepped in and said enough is enough and is flexing his muscles in Kentucky to stop the bleeding. 2019 recruits in Kentucky is supposed to be one of the better years.

• From West Jessamine he got 6-foot-5, 310-pound Eli Cox and Louisville Doss linebacker Shawnkel Knight-Goff. There is also developing a hot and heavy battle for Ballard High School’s defensive end Jared Casey. Kentucky has to get back into Louisville again which a couple of decades ago was a UK stronghold.

• On the basketball side John Calipari is still flexing his recruiting muscle bringing in big man E. J. Montgomery and the number one point guard in the country Ashton Hagans who has decided to reclassify for the 2018 class. They are said to be working out together.

• PJ Washington still is the strongest threat hanging in limbo not to return to the Wildcats.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post