Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cottam, Heyer earn first-team All-SEC Honors

Kole Cottam and Luke Heyer of Kentucky earned first team All-SEC honors, as announced by the Southeastern Conference today. Cottam was selected as the first team 1st Baseman, and Luke Heyer was selected as DH/utility player. Florida's outstanding 3rd baseman, Jonathan India, was named player of the year and bumped Heyer from that spot.

Kentucky had no other players named to the second-team All-SEC squad, and did not land any players on the Freshman All-SEC team or the SEC All-Defensive Team.

Comments 1 Comment
      Darrell KSR -
      UK Media Relations

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky senior infielder/outfielder Luke Heyer and junior catcher/first baseman Kole Cottam have been named First-Team All-Southeastern Conference, the league announced Monday.

League coaches voted Heyer as the first-team designated hitter/utility position and Cottam was the first-team first baseman after the two tied for the league lead in home runs with 18.

Heyer, from Lithia, Fla., has burst onto the scene this season with his prodigious power at the plate. He has twice been named SEC Player of the Week and also earned National Player of the Week honors earlier this season. Playing three positions defensively has not hindered his bat, as he finished the regular season batting .343 with an OPS of 1.123. He led the league in home runs (18), RBI (57) and total bases (140), while ranking in the top five in doubles, runs scored and slugging percentage. He had 21 multi-hit games and 15 multi-RBI games.

Nationally, he ranks eighth in home runs, 14th in slugging percentage, 17th in total bases and 38th in RBI and has appeared amongst the leaders in those categories all season. He also has had clutch hits throughout the season, including a two-strike, two-run, game-tying homer in the ninth inning of a win over Auburn that helped the Cats defeat Tigers’ ace Casey Mize while taking the weekend series.

Cottam, from Knoxville, Tenn., had not played first base prior to this season but turned in a tremendous year at the plate and in the field. He batted a team-high .346 with an OPS of 1.085 this season. He has matched Heyer’s 18 home runs, had 49 RBI and left the yard in 12 of the Cats’ 14 weekend series this season, including eight of 10 in SEC play.

Cottam led the SEC with 10 home runs in league play and Finished the season ranked in the top five in the SEC in home runs (1st), doubles (4th), RBI (1st), total bases (2nd), slugging (3rd). He twice had game-winning hits in the eighth inning to win series, including a bases loaded infield hit to make UK the only team to take a series from Georgia in Athens and a grand slam to erase a three-run deficit and knock off Missouri, a hit that earned him SEC Player of the Week. Cottam also was named a CoSida All-District Academic Team member.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post