Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Patrick Towles' Dad explains situation

BY: LARRY VAUGHT

Rumors are swirling that quarterback Patrick Towles is ready to ask for his release from the University of Kentucky so that he can contemplate a transfer to another school where he’ll have a chance to play.

Towles, Kentucky’s Mr. Football in 2011 when he led Fort Thomas Highlands to another perfect season and state championship, is currently No. 4 on UK’s quarterback depth chart behind sophomore Maxwell Smith, senior Morgan Newton and freshman Jalen Whitlow. Kentucky coach Joker Phillips recently said that Towles likely would be redshirted, something that Towles was told during his recruitment that would not happen.

So what is going on with Towles?

“He still thinks he can help right now,” said Terry Towles, the UK freshman’s father. “He just has not gotten an opportunity. He has not been part of a competition. He’s had a few reps in practice and that’s it. I think his spirit is kind of broken, but he is trying to stay positive. He’s a religious, positive kid. He prays a lot and stays ready. He just wants to compete and still believes he can help this team now. To say this is frustrating is putting it mildly.”

It has to be frustrating for someone with Towles’ ability.

Former Cincinnati Bengals receiver Cris Collinsworth had two sons play at Highlands and helped coach Towles. He said Towles was “as good of a high school player that I have ever been around” and indicated he thought a lot of schools would be “just sick they did not get on Patrick Towles sooner” when he committed to Kentucky.

Towles was the bellcow for UK’s 2012 recruiting class. He never wavered in his commitment to UK when the Cats went through a losing season and other schools tried to get him to renege on his verbal pledge to Kentucky.

The talented quarterback said he was not promised playing time at Kentucky and would be okay if he was redshirted if that was best for him and the program. However, he also said he expected the chance to compete for immediate playing time.

Yet several things seem to have happened. Smith took charge of the team in the summer and the offense was designed for his quick, accurate throws. Whitlow, who was recruited as an athlete and projected by most to be a receiver, turned heads at quarterback.

Phillips said he went with Whitlow, who has played in two games, at No. 3 behind Smith and Newton because of his ability to make plays with his feet. Don’t forget, though, that Towles has been timed in the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds — just a tad slower than Whitlow — and is bigger than Whitlow.
    “He’s not frustrated by the fact he’s redshirting. He’s frustrated because he feels he’s never really had a chance to compete,” Terry Towles said.

There’s also the perception that Towles was perhaps overrated in high school since he’s No. 4 on UK’s quarterback depth chart. That has to bother him — as it would any highly touted player — as fans may believe he’s not as good as he was touted as being.

Terry Towles says no decision on transferring, or even asking for a release from UK, has been made despite rumors that the UK freshman wants to leave. But with UK sitting 1-3 and coming off a loss where Smith was hurt and Newton three threw interceptions in a very ineffective three quarters of a 38-0 loss at Florida, one has to know Towles will be weighing his future options.

Patrick Towles would have to sit out a season if he transferred to a Division I program, meaning he would go two year without playing.

“If you are good enough to play in the NFL, you don’t need four years of playing in college. The scouts can see ability if you have it,” Terry Towles said. “But he hopes everything works out here. He wants to play at UK, and he wants to help now. I hope for all concerned that he’s convinced the program is moving the right direction and he has a long career because UK is where he wants to play.”
    Comments 51 Comments
      kybobcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      On vacation for a few days, but Towles' dad called me today and just had time to get away from grandkids and post it. He's always been great with me during Patrick's recruiting/playing career. Shared a lot of things with me that I won't share at this time. He also doesn't want to say or do anything that will cause problems for son, but he didn't want to avoid some frustrations today

Rumors are swirling that quarterback Patrick Towles is ready to ask for his release from the University of Kentucky so that he can contemplate a transfer to another school where he’ll have a chance to play.

Towles, Kentucky’s Mr. Football in 2011 when he led Fort Thomas Highlands to another perfect season and state championship, is currently No. 4 on UK’s quarterback depth chart behind sophomore Maxwell Smith, senior Morgan Newton and freshman Jalen Whitlow. Kentucky coach Joker Phillips recently said that Towles likely would be redshirted, something that Towles was told during his recruitment that would not happen.

So what is going on with Towles?

“He still thinks he can help right now,” said Terry Towles, the UK freshman’s father. “He just has not gotten an opportunity. He has not been part of a competition. He’s had a few reps in practice and that’s it. I think his spirit is kind of broken, but he is trying to stay positive. He’s a religious, positive kid. He prays a lot and stays ready. He just wants to compete and still believes he can help this team now. To say this is frustrating is putting it mildly.”

It has to be frustrating for someone with Towles’ ability.

Former Cincinnati Bengals receiver Cris Collinsworth had two sons play at Highlands and helped coach Towles. He said Towles was “as good of a high school player that I have ever been around” and indicated he thought a lot of schools would be “just sick they did not get on Patrick Towles sooner” when he committed to Kentucky.

Towles was the bellcow for UK’s 2012 recruiting class. He never wavered in his commitment to UK when the Cats went through a losing season and other schools tried to get him to renege on his verbal pledge to Kentucky.

The talented quarterback said he was not promised playing time at Kentucky and would be okay if he was redshirted if that was best for him and the program. However, he also said he expected the chance to compete for immediate playing time.

Yet several things seem to have happened. Smith took charge of the team in the summer and the offense was designed for his quick, accurate throws. Whitlow, who was recruited as an athlete and projected by most to be a receiver, turned heads at quarterback.

Phillips said he went with Whitlow, who has played in two games, at No. 3 behind Smith and Newton because of his ability to make plays with his feet. Don’t forget, though, that Towles has been timed in the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds — just a tad slower than Whitlow — and is bigger than Whitlow.

“He’s not frustrated by the fact he’s redshirting. He’s frustrated because he feels he’s never really had a chance to compete,” Terry Towles said.

There’s also the perception that Towles was perhaps overrated in high school since he’s No. 4 on UK’s quarterback depth chart. That has to bother him — as it would any highly touted player — as fans may believe he’s not as good as he was touted as being.

Terry Towles says no decision on transferring, or even asking for a release from UK, has been made despite rumors that the UK freshman wants to leave. But with UK sitting 1-3 and coming off a loss where Smith was hurt and Newton three threw interceptions in a very ineffective three quarters of a 38-0 loss at Florida, one has to know Towles will be weighing his future options.

Patrick Towles would have to sit out a season if he transferred to a Division I program, meaning he would go two year without playing.

“If you are good enough to play in the NFL, you don’t need four years of playing in college. The scouts can see ability if you have it,” Terry Towles said. “But he hopes everything works out here. He wants to play at UK, and he wants to help now. I hope for all concerned that he’s convinced the program is moving the right direction and he has a long career because UK is where he wants to play.”
      Thanks for the update, Larry.
      Terry Blue -
      FWIW, reportedly Pat just tweeted that he doesn't want to play anywhere but UK. It has to be frustrating when you've been told for a good part of your life that you're the best things since sliced bread. Jim Bunning, his Granddad, acted like he would be starting as a freshman. From what I've been told Pat played in a very simple offensive system at Highlands and they played pretty weak competition comparitively. Tim Tebow redshirted, not very many freshmen come in and are world beaters. Woodsen and Hartline weren't SEC qbs till mid year rs juniors! Max is at the top of the league or was, so it will be hard to unseat him right now
      UKHistory -
      Max threw interceptions against Western. WESTERN. I am not sure any team in the SEC would trade their qb for Max.

Towles may not be ready. I don't know. Morgan Newton is not the answer at QB and I don't know enough about Whitlow. Never had the chance to compete? I have heard that before.

Towles may be better off sitting out this year. But if his dad and him believe he won't be here 4 years anyway, we might want to play him now.

Looking forward to the end of the season when maybe Larry could share what else the elder Towles said.
      TonyRay -
      Terry, Tebow didn't redshirt but he never started either. He was behind #12, Chris Leak, as they won a national championship. He did come in in certain situations and was being groomed for future.
      CitizenBBN -
      Towles has never said he should be playing. He is saying he should have had a chance to compete for the spot. Sounds as if he felt he'd have a chance to do that. It sounds like he didn't even get the reps to prove it one way or the other. Maybe that's not the case, it was obvious with few reps, but sounds like the staff didn't convince him that was the case.
      Terry Blue -
      I'm not there at practice so don't know about a legitimate chance to compete or not. I just think it's pretty unrealistic to think that as a true freshman you can come in and beat out Max right now. Joker and Randy Sanders have been around the college game for a long time and doubt very seriously that they'd conspire to run off a homegrown qb with loads of talent by not playing him out of spite. Do any of you really think that's the case? As far as Max throwing 4 ints against WKU, yes that was NOT good, but he showed alot of guts in leading us from behind. And I wouldn't be dissing Western too much, they destroyed So.Miss last night and they've been historically a pretty sound program
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      I'm not there at practice so don't know about a legitimate chance to compete or not. I just think it's pretty unrealistic to think that as a true freshman you can come in and beat out Max right now. Joker and Randy Sanders have been around the college game for a long time and doubt very seriously that they'd conspire to run off a homegrown qb with loads of talent by not playing him out of spite. Do any of you really think that's the case? As far as Max throwing 4 ints against WKU, yes that was NOT good, but he showed alot of guts in leading us from behind. And I wouldn't be dissing Western too much, they destroyed So.Miss last night and they've been historically a pretty sound program
      It's not too difficult to beat out someone who can not answer the opening bell.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Sanders' offense is far too complicated for a true freshman to learn well enough to play it well. It's taken every QB UK has had during his time here three or four years to get good at it except Smith, and Smith is a 1500 SAT guy who came in in the spring of his first year so he's had two spring practices and two fall camps of it. Towles would be clueless out there.
      Terry Blue -
      Not sure what Pat was expecting or what he was told. Maybe he thought he was supposed to be given the same number of reps in pre season practice as Max was. I think that's pretty unrealistic. I would imagine Joker and Randy did give Pat a chance to compete and they thought for him and the team a rs was the best choice. I know that doesn't fit the conspiracy model, but imagine that's the truth
      CitizenBBN -
      FWIW I doubt he's ready either, but what I take from this isn't whether he's ready or not but whether the coaches have done a good job making sure he understands the reasons for things and him buying into those reasons.

I can't conclude a lack of evaluation skill or even development skill from this, but I can conclude the staff may be doing a questionable job managing player expectations, esp. if he doesn't feel like he got a fair shot to compete for the job. he needed to be given a shot and use that to learn why he may not be ready.

If Cal coaches here 1,000 years we may never hear one of his kids say he wasn't given a shot to compete.

Oh, and Cal also adapts his system to his players and simplifies to get the most talented guys out there playing, as opposed to the approach of dismissing frosh b/c they can't get the system the staff wants to use. I know football is way different from basketball in many ways when it comes to changing systems, but I've seen a lot of square peg/round hole coaching from this staff for a while.
      CitizenBBN -
      Not sure what Pat was expecting or what he was told. Maybe he thought he was supposed to be given the same number of reps in pre season practice as Max was. I think that's pretty unrealistic. I would imagine Joker and Randy did give Pat a chance to compete and they thought for him and the team a rs was the best choice. I know that doesn't fit the conspiracy model, but imagine that's the truth
      Then it's also the truth they failed massively to get Towles to understand and buy into their approach.
      ukblue -
      Another four star recruit of joker that has considered leaving or left. Sounds like business as usual for our program.
      kybobcat -
      Joker and Randy Sanders have been around the college game for a long time and doubt very seriously that they'd conspire to run off a homegrown qb with loads of talent by not playing him out of spite. Do any of you really think that's the case?
      I don't know.

I didn't think coaches that "have been around the college game for a long time" would start a qb that had barely taken snaps at the position the week before the game.

So there's that.
      UKHistory -
      Football and basketball are pretty different. However, I like Cal's approach that allows players to see who is playing and why.

Losing making everything worse but this is an awful situation.
      Terry Blue -
      Those that think Patrick should start before Max on Saturday night pls respond
      WoodstockCat -
      I just hate to see this. I think Joker is almost in bunker mentality right now.
      Catonahottinroof -
      Those that think Patrick should start before Max on Saturday night pls respond
      The question is not Patrick over Max, but Patick over Newton.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
      The question is not Patrick over Max, but Patick over Newton.
      And or Whitlow as the staff clearly thinks he is not close to ready.
      bluecat24 -
      Terry, nobody is saying he should start over Max. Everyone is saying that he should be given a chance
      to compete. But like our announcers said on the radio yesterday, the coaches have already called it
      a season so it does not matter.
      jazyd -
      Terry, your football knowledge took a huge hit on your post, everyone is destroying USM this year, they are winless and have no experienced qb, none that ever took a snap prior to this year and have a new staff, so beating USM is no big deal. Beating Uk is becoming no big deal either.
      And Max is not a top SEC qb, only in % and throwing for yards because he doesn't throw it further than 10 yards, mostly sideways, and has not played against SEC teams yet. he is in the bottom half of the league in talent and arm strength. Unless of course you would start him over Murray, Bray, Wilson, the kid at USC, Driskell, Mizzou's qb, Ala qb. There are 2 qb's for sure that he is better than, Vandy and AU. Short throws where the wr gets the yardage means nothing as far as being a top qb.

Larry, tell the young mans' father to hang on, he will get his chance next year with a new coach. Look who he is playing for this year, Joker starts Newton after Newton supposedly is getting no practice time at qb because he is playing another position, supposedly Whitlow...according to terry who drinks coffe and 'hears' things....doesn't know the plays. This is all on Joker and yes I think Joker would keep the better qb from playing if it meant getting Newton behind center, Joker has proved it more than once.

Larry, I hate it for the young man, he needs to wait until spring and see what happens with the new staff or at least wait unti a new staff comes in and he can see what they intend on doing. If he doesn't like what he sees he can leave after the semster. But if he stays, works hard for the new staff and earns that starting spot, keeps his nose clean while at UK, he is set for life in the state.

• KSR Twitter Feed