Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky v Vanderbilt Game 3

Cats sit at 13 and 16 in the SEC. A win leaves them two games under 500 in conference play, a loss leaves them four games under 500. At this point, I think all hopes of hosting a regional are gone, but seeding in the SEC tournament is at issue, and potentially seeding in the NCAA tournament as well.
    Comments 28 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Mason Hazelwood will take over for Zach Thompson, who did a very good job today and I'm pleased to see him leave at that pitch count. He was obviously effective at the end, but that's a nice outing for him, and next one he should be good to go 100, I'd think.

Hazelwood was hit with a foul line drive yesterday in the dugout, but he was ok. Scary moment.
      Darrell KSR -
      Hazelwood takes the mound. He looks in. He throws. He plunks the batter with the first pitch. Not a great start.

Tying run now in the on-deck circle, don't need to be giving away baserunners. How about throwing us a double play, Mason?

Behind the next batter, 2-1. Now 2-2. Wild pitch, and runner moves to 2nd, and count goes full. Man, he is not looking good. Do we have anyone else warming?

THERE'S a strikeout. Whew. Good, one out.

Strike on the next batter, and maybe he's settling in. There's another strike, and that's a good sign, three straight strikes. Now a ball, and another, 2-2. Fly ball to CF, and that's out # 2.

# 8 hitter up for Vanderbilt, but he's 1-2 today. 2-0 on the hitter, now 2-1. Grounder to Heyer ends the inning.

T7 | UK 6, Vandy 3
      Darrell KSR -
      Cats will bat 9-1-2 this inning. Trey Dawson to lead it off, and there's a base hit down the LF line, and he'll take two. Leadoff double to start the 7th.

Tristan Pompey at the plate, and he's been red hot this month, but really want to see him move Dawson to 3rd any way he can. He's ahead on the count, 3-1. Full count, and he walks.

Cottam up, and he's 2-3 with a bomb today, but you wonder if they'll have him bunt the two runners over? They so, the SAC bunt works, and Dawson moves to 3rd, Pompey to 2nd, with 1 out.

Luke Becker at the plate in a position to add to the Wildcat lead. But he will be facing a new pitcher, Jackson Gillis coming in for Schaller.
      Darrell KSR -
      Gillis is a 6'3 sophomore southpaw.
      Darrell KSR -
      2-0 on Becker, now 2-1.

Fly ball to left field can't score a run. Crap, that could be huge. Two down. I'm not second-guessing the Cottam SAC bunt--he's the # 2 hole hitter, that's what he's supposed to do. Still could pan out with a Luke Heyer base hit.

It does not, as Heyer grounds out. Opportunity lost.

B7 | UK 6, Vandy 3
      Darrell KSR -
      Hazelwood will face 8-9-1 this inning. Keep those batters off base, Mason.
      Darrell KSR -
      I was mistaken, he'll face the 9-1-2 batters this inning. My bad.

Walks Gonzalez, the # 9 hitter, on 4 pitches to start the inning. Playing with fire. Not textbook. Only the 10th walk that batter has all season, too.

Martin up, the leadoff hitter who has scored two of the three Vandy runs. He'll be followed by Demarco, who has both of the RBIs Vandy has earned today.

There's a double, Gonzalez races around and stops at 3rd, and Vandy is threatening. Hazelwood has not looked good from the git-go today. This could be a disaster.

Tying run at the plate, no outs, and two runners in scoring position. Fly ball to CF will likely get the run in, it does, one out, runner on 2nd moves to 3rd with 1 down, a good SAC fly.
      6-4.

Full count on Bleday, and he walks. Now the tying run is on base. Two walks in the inning with a three-run lead. Not that it matters that much, but just for academic purposes, Hazelwood has thrown 34 pitches in 1.1 innings.

Connor Kaiser at the plate, and this guy has killed us.

Now Hazelwood tries to pick off the runner off 1st, and throws wildly, and the error allows the runner on 3rd to score, and it's 6-5. I know we are pitching-starved, but really, we have to be prepared and have somebody else ready. We have not gone through a ton of pitchers this weekend.

There's a double, and the tying run goes to 3rd, go-ahead run in scoring position. Still only 1 out.

NOW we bring in a pitcher, Brad Schaenzer. Sorry, that was just awful. You could tell Mason didn't have it today when he took the mound.
      Darrell KSR -
      Hazelwood threw 35 pitches, only 17 strikes, in 1.1 innings. So far he has allowed 2 hits, 2 walks, and 2 earned runs, with both runners his responsibility.

Base hit and two runs score, and Vanderbilt takes the lead, 7-6.
      Darrell KSR -
      Hazelwood's day is done:

1.1 innings, 2 hits, 2 walks, 4 earned runs.
      Darrell KSR -
      Home run, and it's 9-6, and if it's ok with you guys, I'm going to end my posting on the game here.
      Darrell KSR -
      Crosby Bringhurst came in and got out of the inning.

T8 | Vandy 9, UK 6
      Darrell KSR -
      B8 | Vandy 9, UK 6
      Darrell KSR -
      T9 | Vandy 9, UK 6

Johnson, Dawson and Pompey scheduled to bat.
      Darrell KSR -
      No Haake, no Lewis and no Machamer was devastating this weekend.
      Darrell KSR -
      Johnson singles.
      Dawson singles.

Hmm.
      Darrell KSR -
      Sorry, it was pinch hitter Ryan Shinn, not the other Ryan (Johnson) that had the first hit.
      Darrell KSR -
      Both runners advanced on a wild pitch, and Pompey then popped up to SS on a 2-0 count.

Why not take a pitch when you are the tying run and there are no outs?

Oh, well.

Cottam walks and bases are loaded for Becker.
      Darrell KSR -
      FINAL: Vandy 9, UK 6

Becker lines into a double play right at the SS, who beats runner back to 2B bag.
      Darrell KSR -
      Very disappointing sweep. Cats drop to 34-21 (13-17). Likely will drop out of the rankings and I would not be surprised to see a # 3 seed for them.
      Darrell KSR -
      Kentucky finishes the regular season 34-21 and 13-17 in SEC play. Will be the No. 10 seed in Hoover at SEC Tournament, opening play Tuesday at 2 pm ET. Will face the No. 7 seed, either Auburn, LSU or Mississippi State.