Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• J. Vanderbilt to draft without agent

https://twitter.com/kykernelsports/s...743099904?s=21

Comments 36 Comments
      KeithKSR -
      I think Vanderbilt will return, he’s not going
      To find many takers with his injury history until he can prove he can stay healthy.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      When the rules changed a couple of years ago, there was an expectation(and almost a guarantee from Cal) that pretty much everyone on the team would go through this process as long as they had the option to do so. We could find ourselves in a position where the entire team declared for the draft in some form or another. Even though that could result in not knowing the full roster composition until summer time, I think that most people thought the changes that were made sense.

So, now, when these guys are testing the waters, there's a lot of comments about how stupid, absurd and similar type language about these guys going this route. Unless those folks were against it from the get go, I can't understand the disconnect. WHY are Vanderbilt, Gabriel and Washington's decisions to date a bad thing?

To be honest, I'd almost think less of them if they DIDN'T go through this part of the process.
      wes011 -
      How is he going to work out??
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Who’s next? Brad?
      Padukacat -
      If the guys testing the water would just make this a bit less formal looking I don’t think ppl would make a big deal out of it but putting this on a professional looking announcement gives more of a vibe you are going vs staying. Jmo
      UKFlounder -
      I wonder if he is delaying any surgery in order to be able to work out for NBA teams.

If so, and if he is not healthy at the start of next college basketball season, that is not good at all.
      catmanjack -
      Which delaying the surgery will just push him back and hurt UK again, I see the same situation as last year he plays a few games maybe
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      I wonder if he is delaying any surgery in order to be able to work out for NBA teams.

If so, and if he is not healthy at the start of next college basketball season, that is not good at all.
      Ugh. I had not thought of that possibility. I hope that's not the case.
      KeithKSR -
      If a kid thinks they will be a pick in the following draft the smart thing to do is gain from the experience of going through the process.
      Philly Cat -
      Meh. This is no different, as a practical matter, than Brad Calipari declaring. I have a strong sense of what he'll hear... and his own statement seems to acknowledge that he knows it, too. Totally agree with Flounder, though, that if he's delaying surgery in order to work out for NBA teams and he's not ready for the summer trip/start of season -- that's annoying.

Maybe Cal had it right a few years ago when he had the whole team declare-- that way, the announcements didn't trickle out and cause new rounds of panic each time.
      HerbTarlek -
      If his performance is hampered owing to the injury, what’s the point of being evaluated? Who’s to know if the feedback he receives will be accurate, or be colored by the injury? If I were an NBA g.m., I’d tell him to get healthy and then comeback. Don’t even bother wasting my time watching you workout.
      dtalbersjr -
      Reading the statements, I think he's less likely to come back than PJ, but more likely than Wenyen. As I've said, my guess is that PJ and Jarred are back and Wenyen is not.

The only thing that worries me a little is that in this limited case, I'm not sure the value of declaring. Will there really be much "testing the waters" if he can't work out?

Maybe the opportunity to interview, get measured and get formal feedback is reason enough?

In the end, I think he'll be back, but in this specific case, given his injury, I wish he hadn't even declared.
      UKHistory -
      If he was able to play and saving himself for now, good luck God bless.

I saw two players on teams that beat us this year who gave everything they had and were clearly injured.

I don't want to use and waste anyone. But want guys that give a damn about Kentucky.
      dtalbersjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      If he was able to play and saving himself for now, good luck God bless.

I saw two players on teams that beat us this year who gave everything they had and were clearly injured.

I don't want to use and waste anyone. But want guys that give a damn about Kentucky.
      He was not able to play. That seems abundantly clear. It's doing him a disservice to suggest otherwise.
      UKHistory -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      He was not able to play. That seems abundantly clear. It's doing him a disservice to suggest otherwise.
      If he wasn't able to play but he is healthy enough now to go through an NBA tryout, I am really concerned about the what I see as total and complete one way street in this recruitment.

Get some guys actually want to play here. I hate Grayson Allen but you know what? That little **** stayed four years and did help them win a banner.

Vanderbilt, according to some, had to be pushed by Cal to even play this year. I don't know everything but based on appearance, that young man will have to do a lot for me to care about him.

He won't shed tears about my stance. I am speaking my mind. But this pitiful.
      catmanjack -
      I guess for most its hard to take or understand that these kids come to UK and other colleges to perfect their craft and train for their profession just as the normal college student takes science and math.
      They only come to UK instead of other colleges because the path to their profession is faster and smoother just like going to the ivy league will stand out on your resume.
      These kids to not owe UK anything nor will they ever.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      If the guys testing the water would just make this a bit less formal looking I don’t think ppl would make a big deal out of it but putting this on a professional looking announcement gives more of a vibe you are going vs staying. Jmo
      Exactly!
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      I guess for most its hard to take or understand that these kids come to UK and other colleges to perfect their craft and train for their profession just as the normal college student takes science and math.
      They only come to UK instead of other colleges because the path to their profession is faster and smoother just like going to the ivy league will stand out on your resume.
      These kids to not owe UK anything nor will they ever.
      The flipside to that is that UK fans feel they own nothing to the players either and that is a special bond that is being stretched very thin

Darryl
      Darrell KSR -
      I wish that Calipari would just do what he did that one year--announce that every player on the roster has put his name in the hat, and only the players hiring agents make an announcement.
      catmanjack -
      I totally get that but look at Wall, Cousins and others that come back and have really taken to UK and appreciate the UK tradition so it goes both ways.

I can honestly say that the 13 team and this years team really left me not placing any of those players on my favorite list but if you look at each and every other team there are players on each that I remember and think of them as a favorite.
      The problem with those two teams is that there were no superstars that stood out and really garnered your attention.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post