Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Can Bad Luck Turn Into Fortune for Cats Football?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

The UK football team suffered some bad fortune in the football field yesterday when Chris Westry and Justin Rigg collided. Rigg had to be taken to the hospital suffering stomach pains and Westry is most likely out until after spring break. Tests revealed Rigg has a lacerated spleen and was too hospitalized overnight. The injury was scary but turned out to be non-operable though it will be a six-week recovery. This is the second laceration of an internal organ (a kidney in 2016). With C. J. Conrad being out of spring practice recovering from an injured foot that makes the Cats very thin a the tight end spot and is depending on walk-on’s.

Shuffling of the Parts

The interesting thing now is with the missing parts what will the depth chart like when look when the smoke clears? Will bad fortune turn into good fortune? “We’re a little banged up we are making the best of it,” Vince Marrow said. Marrow talked about a young man in camp from Lexington Catholic named Will Roden. “I tell you Will Roden has been a surprised. He really surprised us.” Roden was a defensive tackle at Lex Cath and H-back. He led the state in tackles from that position. “He impressed all the coaches making five catches and his toughness.” Marrow said they will go from the thinnest group and when everybody is healthy, Ben Bates and Keaton Upshaw arrive in June we will be the strongest group on the team in the fall.”

The other part of the shuffling group is the projected left tackle starter is getting, what the spring is for and that’s to see who can play and where do they fit. Jaylin Bannerman who had moved to tight end to bolster the group has moved back to defense where Marrow said he is looking good. In the process Landon Young is being used at the tight end spot in the Jumbo package. “We use him some at the tight end spot last year, people just didn’t know that,” Marrow explained. “If you looked at some of our games you would see that he was used about thirty-percent of the time at tight end.” Marrow said Young’s potential as an offensive lineman is real good. “He’s more-twitchier and stronger. He was thrown in there as a true freshman and there’s been a steady growth. Landon’s (Young) looking good right. We moved him to tight end so that ought to tell you something.”
    The next part of that puzzle is that Young’s move will allow transfer from Southern Cal E. J. Price to get reps at the left tackle along with redshirt freshman Nassir Watkins. Both look the part, both in the 6-foot-6, 315-pound range.

The intensity level as Mark Stoops said is very high. Marrow said I agree – “It should be now going into our sixth year. There’s competition at every position except tight end. So you’d better get on board or you not going to be on it. I’m enjoying the quarterback competition – Lynn Bowden is making some competitive catch’s out there - I’m looking at the running back competition with Benny Snell and Sihiem King - It’s time for A. J. (Rose) to step up.” He said as opposed to when they first got here, they are now three deep.

A sidebar – Early report from an obtrusive observer is that quarterback Terry Wilson can really run.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post