Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• J-Lo spat akin to Dicky Lyons’ Jolt?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Jared Lorenzen, former QB at UK

Is there anything that can spur the UK defense to greater heights? Perhaps so in the same vein as the Dicky Lyons 2006 prediction prior to the impending Mississippi State visit.

The Wildcats had just taken a 49-0 shellacking at the hands of the LSU Tigers and subsequently had an open date. During the off week wide receiver Dicky Lyons had spouted off that UK was going to MSU and hand them a sound whipping. Needless to say Rich Brooks did not cotton to such a statement.

Former UK quarterback Jared Lorenzen has voiced his displeasure with his experience with the then offensive coordinator Brent Peace. And there’s been a twitter war between the two. Consequently Pease has vowed to put up 50-points on UK. Is there enough fight in this team to look at that as a challenge?

Dicky Lyons had the full support of the players when they went to Starkville and memory serves, Lyons backed up his assertion with a great touchdown catch that for a minute wasn’t. Yours truly was in the press box and witnessed the catch on the back line of the end zone. It was called no good by reason of the fact he was out of the end zone. Andre Woodson temporarily was removed from the game in favor of Curtis Pulley. There was an immediate time out because of some sort of mix up in the called play and a sideline meeting was called to get everybody on the same page. In the interim the play was reviewed from up in the replay booth and discovered Lyons had made a spectacular one-handed grab with his heel just inside the backline. That turned out to be the difference in a 34-31 UK victory.

That night after the game, again yours truly was visiting one of the historic downtown hotel’s restaurants in which I had the best onion rings I’ve ever had in my mouth. Their was an adjoining six-table pool room in the hotel and after an eight-ball in the corner pocket and ensuing conversation about the game took place with one of the Starkville natives. Needless to say they were shocked at the outcome but the prime question was if Lyons played that way all the time and who is that #29 (Alfonso Smith)? Rafael Little was dinged-up at the time and Smith ran for about 100-yards in the game.

To exhibit Rich Brooks’ displeasure in trash talking, he made Lyons do some extra running the following week. In support of their teammate who could have been the sole reason for their inspired play, as many as ten players ran with Lyons.

The moral of this writing is that all things are possible on a football and even though current coach Joker Phillips said with a smile, “Tell Jared to shut the hell up” could this be the jolt the defense needs to slow down the strong running attack of Florida?
    Comments 4 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Lonny, terrific memory, and good memories there.

I wish one of the current UK players would assume the role of a Dicky Lyons, rather than a former player talking smack. I don't think this will rise to the level you (and I) hope it will, but like Mick is fond of saying, Joker has a way of surprising one or two games a year. If Joker does nothing else this year, I would love to see Kentucky beat Florida. That's the next monkey we have to get off our collective backs.
      Padukacat -
      i think the short answer is....NO. they will run through us like a hot knife through butter!
      MickintheHam -
      This may be the second worst UF team in the last 20 years and I haven't had this little hope for a victory since That stiff Bill Curry patrolled the sidelines. You could regularly count on Wild Bill for a 60 point drubbing. We could get close to that number on Saturday morning.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      It's funny, but our lack of aggression in filling gaps and instead catching blocks has killed us so far against the run. But if there's any to not get overly agressive against it's UF. They're finding ways to get defenses to overcommit and are ripping off long gains left and right. So, we're ...screwed.
  • KSR Twitter Feed