Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Raymond Sanders' father explains what happened with marijuana citation

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Raymond Sanders
    Sanders' father went to the trouble to call me to discuss what happened with his son. A loving, caring parent. He even posted on my blog this morning. Enjoy what he had to say — and note that he said he was basing everything on what his son told him and that he believed him. And I think I would, too, knowing what I do of Raymond Sanders.

Kentucky junior running back Raymond Sanders did not have marijuana in his possession when he was cited on that charge Thursday based on what the player told his father.

Sanders was charged with possession of marijuana along with teammates Bookie Cobbins and Marcus Caffey and cited to appear in court Oct. 9. Sanders and Cobbins were suspended for UK’s overtime loss to Western Kentucky Saturday and have been reinstated to the team this week. Caffey is academically ineligible this season.

Raymond Sanders Jr. said Wednesday that his son does not live at the Cooperstown Apartments with Cobbins and Caffey where the citations were issued.

“Based on what my son told me, he stopped by their after getting a haircut. I told him if he smelled marijuana, he should not have gone inside because he had too much to lose but he said he didn’t smell anything,” Sanders Jr. said. “Now obviously I was not with him, but I believe him. He told (UK coach) Joker (Phillips) that he had one or two puffs (of marijuana) and was waiting on a ride home to his place and when he went outside the police were there and ordered him back inside.

“He can’t wait to go to court. Joker gave him a drug test. He’s never failed a drug test at Kentucky. It hurt my heart to even hear this, but I want people to know my son is not a pot-head. Anybody can get caught in the wrong spot, wrong situation. If you do get caught, you suffer the consequences like he has. But he’s not a bad kid.”

Sanders was a member of Beta Club and Students Against Drunk Driving at Stephenson High School in Stone Mountain, Ga. He was also a three-sport standout.

At Kentucky, he’s played in 20 games and has 562 yards rushing and 137 yards receiving. He’s scored five touchdowns and had a career-high 115 yards rushing, including a 67-yard scoring run, against Kent State in UK’s second game. He played in only four games last season because of injuries, but was one of UK’s leaders during off-season workouts.

“He has done well this week. He has been quiet and humbled,” Phillips said Wednesday when asked about Sanders. “I think he will be fine. He is a guy that is embarrassed. He has lot of pride. He carries himself like that. His pride has been damaged and his reputation has been damaged, and rightfully so. Those things he has control of and are things he has to live with. But he has been great.”

Sanders’ father admits it has been frustrating to read and hear that his son has possession of marijuana when he says that is not true.

“How can the police charge him with possession (of marijuana) when none of it was his?” Sanders Jr. said. “We didn’t bring our son up that way. He is not one that will be walking around with marijuana in his pocket. He’s never failed a drug test. If he was a pot-head, he would.

“I just want everyone to know the facts or wait and get the facts when they go to court before they judge my son. I’ve seen where people says he’s a bad kid and should be kicked off the team. But he’s not a bad kid. If he had possession of marijuana, he should be thrown off the team. But he didn’t based on what he told me.”
    Comments 28 Comments
      jazyd -
      Actually you are condoning it by saying it is no big deal, and that because it has gone on for years it is basically ok. so what the heck, whynot let them get stoned every night and drunk every day, since all college kids do it according to so many here. It is no big deal, hey let them flunk every drug test but keep them on the team because they all do it.
      Bet you think it is okay for illegals to come into the country across the border also. Imean they all do it and have done it for years, no big deal

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      While I don't condone it, I believe you would find the same action from members of previous basketball and football teams for many years. This is nothing new.

It took 7 failed tests, I am told, for Honey Badger to be released at LSU. That's excessive, but IMHO, it isn't a big deal for an athlete, and it hasn't been a big deal for many years.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Wow. I and my sons could never live up to the high standards of some. Feel sorry for Mr. Sanders and understand.
      When my son was a senior in HS he stopped at a party and drank a beer. This was at a party before practice had even started for baseball season. With 2 games to go in the baseball season, his coach found out and suspended him and 3 other players. The story was blasted all over the local paper and he was branded "a drunk and bad person" by the judgers among us. He was humiliated as was his mother. One beer, universal condemnation from the pius. he almost lost his college scholarship over it. One beer. Great kid. I'll put him up against any kid anyone on here has and he will come out looking great. Sports writing too often has turned into tabloid journalism. Prefer Larry V's style anyday.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Actually you are condoning it by saying it is no big deal, and that because it has gone on for years it is basically ok. so what the heck, whynot let them get stoned every night and drunk every day, since all college kids do it according to so many here. It is no big deal, hey let them flunk every drug test but keep them on the team because they all do it.
      Bet you think it is okay for illegals to come into the country across the border also. Imean they all do it and have done it for years, no big deal
      Not sure where the immigration/political smack talk comes in, Jazy. Your argument is illogical and not tied to the comment.

To condone something is to approve it. I do not approve it. I have never had the first illegal drug, nor will I. It is not something I believe in. I am, however, a realist. If I told you members of John Calipari's national championship basketball team did the same thing, would you be surprised?

Saying it is "no big deal," is recognizing the obvious, and not sticking my head in the sand. There are many possible issues, digressions from social norms, and crimes that a college student can commit. This one is on the lesser end, which it is why it is not a big deal. It's an opinion, you don't have to share it, but I think it is well-grounded.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      Wow. I and my sons could never live up to the high standards of some. Feel sorry for Mr. Sanders and understand.
      When my son was a senior in HS he stopped at a party and drank a beer. This was at a party before practice had even started for baseball season. With 2 games to go in the baseball season, his coach found out and suspended him and 3 other players. The story was blasted all over the local paper and he was branded "a drunk and bad person" by the judgers among us. He was humiliated as was his mother. One beer, universal condemnation from the pius. he almost lost his college scholarship over it. One beer. Great kid. I'll put him up against any kid anyone on here has and he will come out looking great. Sports writing too often has turned into tabloid journalism. Prefer Larry V's style anyday.
      ETWN, I know many fine people who made a poor choice before they were 21, many of whom are the best people you know today. If people read Larry's article--together with his comments thereafter--they'll know that Raymond Sanders is exactly one of those people. Not only do I appreciate Larry V's style of writing, as you do, but I also appreciate him giving us his thoughts on interacting with the people involved. Sometimes we like it, because it's good (like now, where he knows Sanders as a person and vouches for him), and sometimes we don't like it, because it's bad (like the early days of Billy G.). But it's fair, honest and good information.

In this case, as I have stated before, it is not a big deal. The kid was disciplined for a poor choice, and should have been. He doesn't need to wear a scarlet "A" the rest of his life for it. JMO.
      badrose -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Know some disagree with us, Doc, but I'm with you.
      Count me in as well.
      UKHistory -
      I am actually in favor of legalizing pot but I don't smoke anything or drink. Never have. Most likely won't. That is me.

Mr. Sanders stood up for his son and said my son is not a bad guy. I agree with him. Atleast to the extent that even a little weed doesn't make his son a bad person. It is a situation that puts him in varying degrees of danger.

I get that Mr. Sanders wants people to know his son is a good fellow. It is a little Clintonian to say he had a puff or two but it was not his. Maybe accurate 100% but comes off as poor, BS spin.

One thing we have seen in society over all is that we throw people away from drug use, we lose a whole person for maybe the rest of their lives. We have prisons full of folks who did drugs and got put away.

I think we have to gauge how to balance some of this. But coming on the heels of a loss to Western well every example of a lack of discipline is magnified.
      bigronhahn1011 -
      Let Sanders carry 25 times, have 150 yards rushing for 3 touchdowns in a win against Florida on Saturday and the majority here could care less what he smokes before, or after, the game.
      MickintheHam -
      I'm sorry, but this is all a non-story. I'm sorry I read this thread.

The only question I have about this story is why is Joker administering a drug test. That should be an independent labratory.
  • KSR Twitter Feed