Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Minter embarrassed by goal line defense, Phillips wants better tackling

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Rick Minter

Knowing Florida is not throwing the football as much this season would have seemed to benefit Kentucky considering the Wildcats went into the season believing the defensive front would be the team’s biggest strength.

However, going into Saturday afternoon’s game at Florida, UK has allowed 188 yards per game rushing — 13th in the Southeastern Conference — and now must face the league’s top rusher in Mike Gillislee. He has run for 346 yards and four touchdowns in three games, including victories at Texas A&M and Tennessee.

“This team is a lot more explosive in terms of speed and power. I watched No. 8 (Trey Burton), who is their wildcat guy and really doesn’t touch the ball a lot. He touched it three times against Tennessee and outran their whole defense for 80 yards on one of the wildcat plays, then about 20-something yards on another play. They got a lot of speed and size,” said Kentucky coach Joker Phillips.

“Then on the outside, they’ve got big-time speed. The tailback (Gillislee) has speed. The receivers have speed. They’ve got a lot of speed at every position.”

Phillips admitted his defensive front has not played the way he anticipated. He was counting on tackles Donte Rumph and Mister Cobble along with end Collins Ukwu to anchor a run-stopping defense that has not been able to contain the run. Phillips said he was optimistic based on the way UK stopped Georgia’s running game last season after the Bulldogs shredded Auburn and then played physical to stop Tennessee — UK’s final two games of 2011.

“Not just me, but most people thought it (the defensive front) would be our strength,” Phillips said. “It has not been. It’s hard to say what has been our strength defensively. The thing I do see is improvement since game one and we have to continue to improve.”

Twice last week Western Kentucky scored on 1-yard runs without having the runner touched by a UK defender.

“Very poor defense. Very poor defense,” UK defensive coordinator Rick Minter said as he explained he put the team in the wrong alignment once. “But I was embarrassed by our defense on the goal line. I thought there were some improvements over the course of the game. I don’t look at total yards, even though it wasn’t pretty.

“There were too many three, four, five-yard ugly runs up inside. We’re not getting off blocks and striking, knocking guys back. Then it’s second-and-nine rather than second-and-five. That’s what we have to get better at. Part of it is physical, part of it is our youth on the inside. We have to shake our guys up on the inside sometime.”

Phillips said poor tackling has been a consistent problem.

“We’re not a good tackling team right now. We’re not. A lot of it has to do with youth, but even some of our older guys are not real good tackling guys,” the UK coach said. “So we’ve got to continue to stress it. A lot of it is staying up off the ground. Running your feet and all those things, but take the fundamentals of tackling: wrapping up, running your feet.”
    Comments 10 Comments
      Catonahottinroof -
      The fans are embarrassed too. :/
      Darrell KSR -
      Yes, we are. I am worried we will be even moreso after this weekend.
      Catonahottinroof -
      24 point dog, over/under is 52.

I think Florida hits the over even if they shut us out.
      millsforthree -
      We'll make Driskell look like the second coming of Tebow I'm sure.
      dan_bgblue -
      Gonna be a tough game to compete in. Based on prior performance UK is out manned at every position except maybe the return game and punting.
      CitizenBBN -
      By the time the SEC is done with us he'll look back on that series with fondness and longing.
      `
      If UK fans had a nickel for every time there has been a call for better tackling from a UK football team we'd be holding charity auctions for those poor people in Dubai with gold plated bathroom fixtures.
      millsforthree -
      I think it's becoming painfully obvious why you dont hire the linebacker coach from Indiana State to run an sec defense
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by millsforthree View Post
      I think it's becoming painfully obvious why you dont hire the linebacker coach from Indiana State to run an sec defense
      Especially when he wants to be the position coach for all positions.
      Padukacat -
      Embarrassment has just begun...for all of us, but mainly you mr minter
      jazyd -
      Dan, that is the problem. People that are cheerleaders for Joker and Minter...and they are very silent right now....keep talking about him being at cincy..big deal..and ND. But my point is he kept going down from there, not up.
      imo, w/o talking or knowing players, I think they are revolting somewhat to his method of not letting their position coach's coach them.
      And Joker is no different on his side of the ball. A friend has talked to former players who have told him that Joker will tell the players one thing in practice all week and then do just the opposite on Sat.

And too many here bought into our good our DL was going to be based on what Joker told them this summer. I would have thought that everyone would have learned not to listen to any coach about how good everyone is in the summer or how our offense says our defense is so great and the defense says how great our offense is.

I am not embarrassed any longer, I expect to lose by a bunch Sat so there will be no surprise. I expect to win only one SEC game this year and I feel hte Samford game is a tossup.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Especially when he wants to be the position coach for all positions.
  • KSR Twitter Feed