Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• McKinnis to lose redshirt season because of Panton suspension

By LARRY VAUGHT

If sophomore punter Grant McKinnis is going to lose a redshirt year because of the one-game suspension of Matt Panton over an alcohol-related arrest, then seems to me McKinnis should be the punter the rest of the year — not just one game.

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said Monday that Panton, a graduate transfer from Columbia this season, would not play at Vanderbilt Saturday.

“He will not participate for failure to meet the expectations of this football team,” Stoops said.

Panton was charged with public intoxication about 1:30 a.m. Sunday — about five hours after UK’s 37-34 loss to Mississippi.

Panton beat McKinnis for the starting job this season after McKinnis averaged 39.2 yards per punt as a true freshman. He had 10 punts inside the 20-yard line and a career-best 61-yard punt at Alabama.

Panton is averaging 42.7 yards per punt this year and has had 17 of his 48 punts downed inside the 20-yard line, including three at the 1-yard line.

McKinnis, a four-star recruit out of Ohio, would have had three more years to play if he was redshirted this year. That could have solidified UK’s punting for three years if he improved off his freshman season the way everyone expected.

Stoops said it was “unfortunate” he had to use McKinnis and cost him his redshirt year but that the sophomore was willing to do so knowing the importance of the game.

But what was McKinnis going to say? And what college sophomore would not want to help his team?

Kentucky is a 3-point underdog at Vanderbilt in a game UK fans have been counting on as a certain win for months. In a close game, field position and hidden yards really matter. Kentucky needs McKinnis.

Panton made a mistake a lot of college students — and others — make. I know no details of his arrest. However, when it comes time to punt against Georgia, Louisville and in a bowl game, I think UK owes it to McKinnis to let him be the guy for the sacrifice Stoops said he’s willing making this week and not Panton who willing made a mistake to cost him a chance to play in a game.
    Comments 7 Comments
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      If you watched the Monday night NFL game, that is what Detroit did. Didn't have a single punt all game.
      With Benny and Stevie I’d support using four downs in most every situation
      Darrell KSR -
      So glad that Mark Stoops used common sense and didn't waste a year, particularly with the outcome. Thank goodness.
      Kacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      That's goofy.

There's no "rule" that says if you're arrested you aren't playing the next game. Nick Saban doesn't do that. John Calapri doesn't do that.

Use your brain and do the right thing--whatever it is. It might be kicking a kid off the team. Maybe it's no game suspension.

If it's the right thing to do, do it. But that's nonsense that it is "just how it is." Bull malarkey and a copout.
      If one of Cal’s guys got arrested they wouldn’t play. Look, Ky doesn’t play around with this crap. It’s just how Barnhart runs it and I’m fine with it.
      Kacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      So glad that Mark Stoops used common sense and didn't waste a year, particularly with the outcome. Thank goodness.
      He actually wasn’t going to play Mac but he wasn’t going to let Vandy know we were going into the game without a punter. Stoops is old school, he doesn’t give anything to other coaches to plan for prior to a game.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
      If one of Cal’s guys got arrested they wouldn’t play. Look, Ky doesn’t play around with this crap. It’s just how Barnhart runs it and I’m fine with it.
      Derrick Willis says hi, and recommends gensing.
      Darrell KSR -
      Sigh.

Derek Willis was arrested for the same offense last year. Didn't miss a game.

Edit to add that I said at the time Cal would consider everything, and would not likely suspend him a game unless the circumstances were different.

Barnhart didn't make this call either. Mark Stoops did.
      Darrell KSR -
      He actually wasn’t going to play Mac but he wasn’t going to let Vandy know we were going into the game without a punter. Stoops is old school, he doesn’t give anything to other coaches to plan for prior to a game.
      Are you seriously suggesting that your comments earlier defending him playing McKinnis were part of a grand master plan, too? Lol.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post