Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Does being accountable mean reinstating players so quick after marijuana citation

By: LARRY VAUGHT

About 48 hours before Kentucky lost to Western Kentucky, three UK players were cited for marijuana possession. One was starting junior running Raymond Sanders. Another was redshirt freshman receiver Bookie Cobbins, who missed part of spring practice for academic reasons. The third was sophomore cornerback Marcus Caffey, who was slated to be a starter before being declared academically ineligible for the season.

WLEX-TV confirmed that the three were not arrested, but were cited to appear in court Oct. 9.
    Both Sanders and Cobbins were suspended for the Western game by coach Joker Phillips. After the game he noted that “kids sometimes don't do little things that they're supposed to do, and we hold our kids accountable.”

How accountable is he holding the three? Well, all three were back with the team Monday and if senior Coshik Williams is hobbled by an injury, Sanders will be No. 2 on the depth chart behind Jonathan George, who scored three touchdowns against Western.

"Kids don’t do always do all the things right," Phillips said agains Monday. "The thing we do is hold kids accountable. We discipline right away. We don’t wait. We try to get as many facts as we possibly can. We got them on Friday and we disciplined right away.”

Still, putting them back on the team so quickly, especially after a stunning loss to Western Kentucky, is not a great public relations move for the struggling UK football program.

Senior defensive end Collins Ukwu, one of the team captains, said the incident so close to game time last week did not impact the outcome.

“The thing is, you just have to keep playing. I am sure every team in the nation has the same type of issues or what not,” Collins said. “It doesn’t bother us. We could definitely have needed them, but that’s something you don’t look at. Things are going to happen throughout a team and it was just a case of playing on.”

Starting offensive tackle Kevin Mitchell took the company line, too.

“It always hurts our team (when players are suspended). I am not sure what happened. We didn’t really know anything about it until after the game,” Mitchell said. “We just have to move on. We could use the players, but you have to move on and play.”

True, but fans are going to have a hard time moving on. First, Phillips said after the game that UK “matched” Western, not exactly what one expects from a Southeastern Conference coach playing a Sun Belt team. Second, Phillips has players cited for marijuana possession but has quickly reinstated them. Third, Ukwu said every team has “issues” as a way to look past what happened.

Phillips was asked if perhaps two chances for Caffey were not enough and if he would get another one.

“We are in the business of making sure the kids have an opportunity to succeed, definitely. We're not a rehab center, a center that we're going to continue to give guys chances,” Phillips said. “We love Marcus. This is all we got, okay? This is all we got. We'll go with him until we feel like we can't take it anymore. We've done it with other kids. But this is all he has, and we'll continue to stick by him and help him get through all these things.”

Admirable. Probably even the right thing to do. But he’s not playing all year.

Cobbins will also now be on his third chance after his spring academic woes, but he’s played little and likely will play even less now with freshmen Demarcus Sweat and A.J. Legree emerging more daily.

Sanders, who has never been in any type of trouble at UK, will play Saturday at Florida. Count on that. He’s too good to stand and watch if he’s available. And we don’t know what the outcome of his case will be Oct. 9.

I asked Phillips if this was standard punishment and how he determined where Sanders would go back on the depth chart. He either misunderstood the standard punishment part or chose just to answer the depth chart question.

“We don't have a standard. The thing we have to look at is how well a guy (George) performed that came in and replaced him, how well did the guy perform, take care of business, does what he's supposed to do, never hear his name on any lists, goes to class. Jonathan George performed well enough to be the starter,” Phillips said.

George did as he ran for 51 yards and two scores and caught six passes for 54 yards and one touchdown. But the negativity of the Western loss only increases with the explanation about the players’ suspension.

“We have to tell ourselves to keep fighting. We have to practice hard because the better you practice, the better the games will be. We have to tell ourselves to stay positive, especially the older guys,” junior linebacker Avery Williamson said. “Some of the younger guys are kind of down, but we have to hold them up. The juniors, seniors and even sophomores have to help the freshmen out.”

What about the coaches? Do the players feel they need to help Phillips and his staff keep their jobs after a 1-2 start and consecutive losing seasons?

“We really try not to talk about it much. We just try to push that to the side and just go out and play. You can’t really worry about situations with coaches. That is not our issue to really worry about,” Williamson said. “That’s not in our hands. Well, it is in our hands. We have to win. That’s not our situation really to talk about. We have to do it for ourselves, for our teammates and play for each other.”

That last line is accurate, too, because after losing to Western and learning why players were suspended, the UK bandwagon is practically empty except for players and coaches that have to convince themselves they can overcome this horrendous weekend.
    Comments 8 Comments
      Doc -
      As somebody who did what I believe the majority of college students have done (smoked dope), I can say I have no idea what the punishments doled out by Joker were. I understand there was a game suspension but not sure what else. For me, part of the maturation process was making mistakes and suffering the consequences of my decisions. Part of that was also having the punishment fit the crime. Personally I have no issues thus far with anything done or the return to practice and the field.
      CitizenBBN -
      WLEX-TV: Because the Herald doesn't have video.

For first offense for Sanders I'm OK with a one game suspension in football where there are only 12 games. In a 35 game basketball schedule that's equivalent to 3 games.

For a 2nd offense MAYBE if he's otherwise had a stellar record. for a 2nd with related issues or a 3rd it's not enough.

Pretty dang simple to me. Want to have a scholarship? Don't smoke pot. Everyone who smokes it will swear to you it's not addictive, which means this is just a simple choice with no excuses. As a staff you have to have clear lines and demand a level of commitment to doing things right, and that's part of it IMO.

Now, having said that, a lot of top programs ignore pot smoking with impunity. It's come out that players at some schools have failed many drug tests, and now that the NCAA has some modicum of standards the schools just stopped testing. So by the standards of many schools this is pretty strong punishment. Lots of places would have "team punishment" and not miss a game.

So give Joker SOME credit, but no I think we need to demand better. I think Cal does and I think that's why we see fewer issues than under Tubby.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      What is the right amount? I give Joker a pass on this.
      bigsky -
      College students smoke pot?
      Jeeepcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      WLEX-TV: Because the Herald doesn't have video.

For first offense for Sanders I'm OK with a one game suspension in football where there are only 12 games. In a 35 game basketball schedule that's equivalent to 3 games.

For a 2nd offense MAYBE if he's otherwise had a stellar record. for a 2nd with related issues or a 3rd it's not enough.

Pretty dang simple to me. Want to have a scholarship? Don't smoke pot. Everyone who smokes it will swear to you it's not addictive, which means this is just a simple choice with no excuses. As a staff you have to have clear lines and demand a level of commitment to doing things right, and that's part of it IMO.

Now, having said that, a lot of top programs ignore pot smoking with impunity. It's come out that players at some schools have failed many drug tests, and now that the NCAA has some modicum of standards the schools just stopped testing. So by the standards of many schools this is pretty strong punishment. Lots of places would have "team punishment" and not miss a game.

So give Joker SOME credit, but no I think we need to demand better. I think Cal does and I think that's why we see fewer issues than under Tubby.
      I have to agree.

Further - why do I feel like we will never see Bookie play football?
      millsforthree -
      Hey it worked for the KU basketball team...they were just hoping for similar results.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeeepcat View Post
      I have to agree.

Further - why do I feel like we will never see Bookie play football?
      He was a Tee recruit, not one of the current offensive staff members recruits now.
      jazyd -
      It does not matter what other college students do or don't do. These kids are on scholarship, they represent the school, the program, the state. it is illegal, period. And it appears that for two that academics also means little.
      It would be easier to see a less punishment if this were an isolated incident in Jokers tenure, but each year he has kids suspended for various games, for me it shows a lack of respect for the staff, Joker and the program. It is looking more and more like houston Nutt or Jackie Sherrill run program.
      Would they have been arrested if they were not UK football players?
  • KSR Twitter Feed