Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Bohanna playing his best football now

By LARRY VAUGHT

Photo: Vicky Graff

Freshman defensive line Quinton Bohanna had his best game against Tennessee last week and even coach Mark Stoops had to admit Monday that he did well in "all phases" of his play.

"He executed his assignment on blitzes and certain techniques that we needed to be better than we were a year ago. He executes some things and had some awareness. He was physical. He played with great effort. He did some good things, very good. Made tackles," Stoops said.

"There’s been more production out of that position than we’ve had in awhile. He’s done some good things. He’s actually our player of the week defensively within our own team. He’s our defensive player of the week.”

He's moved ahead of senior nose guard Matt Elam and provided solid play along with starter Naquez Pringle.

“I think he has probably exceeded my expectations for his first year. I knew he was going to be a very good football player. He’s played well as a freshman. That’s a tough position, as you know. Playing nose in this league, you’re getting banged around pretty good," Stoops said.

The coach said good defenses have to be "firm up the middle" and that Bohanna's quickness helps him execute certain techniques better than other UK nose guards.

"For a big body to be quick in his movements is important, but he’s also very stout and disruptive. it’s very easy to get doubled and bounced out of there. So basically up the middle, you’ve gotta be strong at the point of attack. He’s not getting bounced around," Stoops said.

Even better, he will have three more years to play for Kentucky and maybe give Stoops an anchor in the defensive front he's not had during his time at UK.

"Very grateful that he’s here. I love his attitude. Our players like him. He’s got a great demeanor about him. He’s very focused. He’s on a mission and I just like the way he handles business. If he continues to progress, he has a chance to be a really good player," Stoops said.
    Comments 7 Comments
      Catfan73 -
      Wasn't it Bohanna that caught UT's center flinching and bowled him over, resulting in a false start penalty? Very heads up play on his part.
      CatQuick -
      This position has been a missing link for us during the Stoops era. You have to figure Bohanna will be get better each game for the rest of this year and then with another year to get stronger, he has stud written all over him.
      Kacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
      Wasn't it Bohanna that caught UT's center flinching and bowled him over, resulting in a false start penalty? Very heads up play on his part.
      Yup
      KMSBball -
      Glad that he’s stepping up. Must be hard for Elam to have been passed by a freshman. Happy for the kid but sad for Matt.
      MickintheHam -
      I believe this guy is the difference between winning and losing against UT
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      I believe this guy is the difference between winning and losing against UT
      Him and SJ!
      Terry Blue -
      There,s a guy named Benny Snell who was most important, 190 yds and 3 tds
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post