Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Lonnie Johnson to replace Chris Westry in starting lineup

By LARRY VAUGHT

Junior cornerback Chris Westry is a player who started making an impact at Kentucky as soon as he arrived on campus and has started every game in his three years at UK. However, that's going to change Saturday when UK hosts Mississippi.

Kentucky's new depth chart has junior college transfer Lonnie Johnson listed No. 1 at cornerback ahead of Westry.

“Lonnie played well (against Tennessee). He’s doing some good things. He really is. We don’t just say that when we talk about competition and earning your way. That’s not lip service. And that’s nothing against Chris; we need to get Chris playing well and playing better. It’s not that he’s played poorly; it’s just that Lonnie played well," Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said.

In eight games, Westry has 22 tackles, one pass break up and one forced fumble. But he's been beaten often for big plays and has not been the dominant defender many thought he would be.

Stoops said Monday he didn't remember specifically saying he thought Westry was a future superstar. He remembered saying there were "superstars" in the secondary.

"Like I always tell you guys (in the media): I’ll just keep it real bland and then there won’t be anything you can use against me in the future. You love to use something against me," he laughed and said. "But I still think there’s some superstars in that group. I do. But we’ve got to do a better job and they’ve got to do their job and together there’s still a lot of potential in that group.”

Johnson came to UK with big expectations but had to gain experience.

"With experience comes confidence, too. You get your confidence from your preparation. He’s really worked hard at it, he’s gotten experience and he’s playing more confident," Stoops said. "Lonnie has a toughness about him that I really like. He brings an edge and an attitude, and it’s a difficult spot.

"We’ll be challenged this week, that’s for sure, with these wideouts and the way Ole Miss plays offensively. It’s going to be a real challenge. But I just like what he brings and he’s getting better.”
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Lonnie Johnson to replace Chris Westry in starting lineup started by Darrell KSR View original post
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post