Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Joker explains why he feels he deserves more time

By: LARRY VAUGHT

He’s won only 12 games and lost 16 in a little over two seasons at Kentucky, but it’s not hard for coach Joker Phillips to explain why he thinks he deserves more time to get the football program back on track.

“Well, I mean, we got 72 freshmen and sophomores in this program. We just played a program (Western Kentucky) that has 50 juniors and seniors in their program,” said Phillips Monday. “We got to be better than that. But we got a lot of good, young players playing ball for us.”

Not only are they playing, but Phillips noted how many are playing “significant roles” this season.
    He tried to deflect attention to Saturday’s game at No. 14 Florida by saying the “first order of business is focusing on Florida” and not worrying about his job status or what impact that would have own his players.

“We got to get them prepared, get them prepared for all the things that are involved when you're down a little bit. We got to get them prepared for this hostile environment we're about to go in,” Phillips said. “We have to continue to talk to our kids. This is a time they need us the most as coaches. We'll be there for them.”

Phillips played on an 0-10-1 team at Kentucky under coach Jerry Claiborne

‘I was on a team two years later that had a lot of young kids, I was one of those young kids, and two years later we were 9‑3. One of the last teams to win games,” Phillips said. “Staff here, same way. I was on a staff here that we had some ups and downs. We had a young team when we left (in 1996). But we had seven years. I got that. It's seven years. But at the time we had a young team that we left behind, two years later they were winning seven games.

“Again, we've put together a young team. We did it the right way. There will not be any investigations and those types of things here. We've done it the right way and we'll continue to do it the right way. Again, good, solid young team that we've got to get better every day. It starts by preparing for Florida.”

Phillips was UK’s offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator before becoming head coach. So why is UK so overloaded with freshmen and sophomores and short on juniors and seniors?
    “For some reason or another, it just didn't work out,” Phillips said.

He said it was not bad timing or bad recruiting as some are suggesting.

“We got some really good kids in our upperclassmen. (All-SEC guard) Larry Warford, do you think that's bad recruiting? (Center) Matt Smith, started three years here. We just don't have a lot of the numbers in the senior and junior classes. We don't have 50. Some reason or another, that's the way it is.”

Phillips insisted his past experiences as a player and coach have him “built” for facing adversity like this.

“I've been around some head coaches that I've got a chance to watch go through this. We're fine. I'm fine,” he said. “I haven't got time to worry. My worry is making sure we get prepared for Florida.”
    Phillips’ teams at UK that went 6-6 and then 9-3 after the 0-10-1 year had strong leadership. Same for Rich Brooks’ team that came back from the brink of disaster to make the Music City Bowl in 1996.

“I see a talented freshman quarterback, talented young receivers, some talented backs. We got some guys that will be real good leaders. We have some good leaders in this senior class,” Phillips said. “(Junior) Avery Williamson, he asked me, ‘How you doing, coach?’ I'm fine, how you doing, Avery? He said, ‘Coach, we'll be fine. We just got to hang in there He said this. We got some really good leaders on this football team.”
    Comments 32 Comments
      Jeeepcat -
      Joker aint Jerry Claiborne (RIP)

I know he has to say something here, but I don't see a skill or experience deficiency being an issue against WKU so much as a systematic failure.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Oh, is he finished? Well allow me to retort!

WKU - 32
      UK - 31
      MickintheHam -
      Larry, everyone has now written Joker off. His history is that he will beat one or two teams no one expects him to beat. That well may happen again this year. The problem with Joker is not whether he can win a big gme or not. Rather it is why are his teams consistently inconsistent. Why can't his teams start a half ready to play? Joker should thank you for the interview!
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      I desperately wanted Joker to succeed and I'll be a bitter SOB if the new hire is as uninspring as I believe they will be. But the two most basic things in football are the ability to run the ball with power and stop the other team from doing so. No team can consistently succeed without those two things being taken care of first IMO. Both have gone from not great to downright shameful the last three years. All the conspiracies about who was promised this or that or who was fooling around with who or whatever don't matter to me. I don't know about that stuff or care really. But not taking care of the most basic of musts does matter. It's not the way to build a real team. He's done.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Larry, everyone has now written Joker off. His history is that he will beat one or two teams no one expects him to beat. That well may happen again this year. The problem with Joker is not whether he can win a big gme or not. Rather it is why are his teams consistently inconsistent. Why can't his teams start a half ready to play? Poker should thank you for the interview!
      fully expect this to happen. He will knock somebody off. Hope it is Florida.

I like Joker. Really do. Wanted the homegrown guy to get it done. He would have to win all the rest to save his job. Would love it if there is a way to keep him around the program.
      blue2ksr -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      fully expect this to happen. He will knock somebody off. Hope it is Florida.

I like Joker. Really do. Wanted the homegrown guy to get it done. He would have to win all the rest to save his job. Would love it if there is a way to keep him around the program.

I'm with you. I really wanted to see him succeed with his "dream" job, but I'm afraid it is not to be.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by blue2ksr View Post
      I'm with you. I really wanted to see him succeed with his "dream" job, but I'm afraid it is not to be.
      Me too Blue, ET, but Joker was domed from the beginning IMHO due to his impatience in his prior position. Had Joker respected Rich's wishes he would have received the HC Training necessary for a realistic chance at success. But Joker/Mitch forced the retirement/removal of Rich 2 yrs sooner than the original agreement. Rich agreed to train Joker, but he also wanted to be the longest tenured FB HC at KY. Rich planned on Coaching thru last season, with that Joker would have gotten 3 yrs of HC training. But Rich realized that wasn't going to happen thus vetoing Joker's move down to the field with him his last season as was originally planned.

(If you'll remember it was announced Sanders was moving up to the Box & Joker was coming down to the sideline with Rich. Then all the sudden Rich announced that wasn't happening right before the start of the season) Thus Joker got no training from Rich and was left to figure things out for himself.

IMHO the HC'ing Job at KY is tough enough if you are an experienced HC coming in, but left to figure things out on his own with zero training or advice from Rich, no previous HC'ing experience, Joker was doomed from day one. Had Rich been allowed the courtesy of making the decision on completing the original agreement JOKER would have gotten basically the same training Mike Bellotti got at Oregon and at least had a fighting chance at success. But with ZERO TRAINING from Rich, Joker was doomed from day one IMHO.

And no I don't believe Joker deserves anymore time. I say that due to it being his and Mitch's fault he wasn't properly trained. Had they completed the original deal Joker could have continued the concept of Coach in Waiting, but it was Joker's impatience that created this situation. Why should our players, program and fans be forced to wait 5-6 years while Joker gets the on the job training? That was the whole deal to begin with......... a continuation of what Rich Brooks had started.
      CatQuick -
      So, if we're going to change the culture here, it starts with a fan base not accepting mediocrity and asking for results and not execuses.
      LakeCat -
      I think most would agree, UK should be equal to UL and superior to WKU in the trenches. Man on man so to speak . That battle is best reflected in rushing yards. UL/WKU 482 UK 134. To me that says all that needs to be said whether Joker deserves more time. His players aren't motivated and coached enough to compete with equal or inferior sized players in the crucible of the trenches. I can't say why but stats don't lie and we all know UL/WKU did not have some extra special running back to skew these stats.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by CatQuick View Post
      So, if we're going to change the culture here, it starts with a fan base not accepting mediocrity and asking for results and not execuses.
      That's exactly right and out of respect for Tony I'll try to phase this as best I can.

If Joker & Mitch had kept their deal with Rich this would be Joker's first year as our HC. Joker would have had 3 yrs training from a Proven Program changer/builder. Plus instead of starting all over with an untrained HC we would have actually been continuing Rich Brooks culture with a trained HC(the concept we were originally sold with the coach in waiting concept) thus not being expected to accept mediocrity because that's what you get from a 1st time HC with NO TRAINING.

Sorry this isn't meant as a smack to Joker, just stating the facts which pretty much explains our current dilemma. A dilemma that exists due to Mitch/Joker not fulfilling their agreement with Rich, thus Rich not even giving Joker 1 yr of training. IMO Mitch allowing this places much more blame on him than it does Joker. Joker was impatient, but Mitch was in control and could have stopped this before it ever started.
      UKHistory -
      There was a time 20 years ago, it would have been unthinkable to suggest UK would accept being the equal of UofL.

Joker does not deserve more time because the whole point of a coach in waiting would allow for a seamless transition ensuring the continued approach of a successful program to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
      I think most would agree, UK should be equal to UL and superior to WKU in the trenches. Man on man so to speak . That battle is best reflected in rushing yards. UL/WKU 482 UK 134. To me that says all that needs to be said whether Joker deserves more time. His players aren't motivated and coached enough to compete with equal or inferior sized players in the crucible of the trenches. I can't say why but stats don't lie and we all know UL/WKU did not have some extra special running back to skew these stats.
      MickintheHam -
      There was a time 30 years ago that it was unthinkable to stoop to a level where we would play UofL, much less WKSC.
      Darrell KSR -
      I am hoping that Joker gives us a going away present of beating Florida & Tennessee.

Of course, I hope against hope UK will finish 10-2, win the SEC championship game, and an outside chance at the national championship. OK, maybe that's too much.

But agree about Joker pulling a surprise. It's just that the surprises won't compensate for losing to Louisville and Western Kentucky, finishing with losing seasons, breaking bowl bid streaks, etc. We weren't any great shakes before he took over, but I'd kill for a Music City Bowl bid this year--wouldn't you?
      Catonahottinroof -
      I'd even settle for a trip to Shreveport....can't believe I'm saying that lol
      Darrell KSR -
      At the risk of running the wrath of those that say that we are setting our expectations too low, I just want to get to a bowl game (err, maybe except B'ham. We've suffered enough). Shreveport would be more fun than some believe, even though it's not Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, etc.
      ukblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by CatQuick View Post
      Agreed CQ! I have always thought that a fan should hold the coaches and administration responsible for the performance of their teams and not blindly support everything a coach does. It all starts with the right hires and facilities. A coach has to have that "it" factor going for him if he wants to compete in the big time. Even a program like Alabama struggled for years until they ponied up the money and got their guy in Saban. I would say it has paid off for them.
      jazyd -
      This is spades

Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
      Agreed CQ! I have always thought that a fan should hold the coaches and administration responsible for the performance of their teams and not blindly support everything a coach does. It all starts with the right hires and facilities. A coach has to have that "it" factor going for him if he wants to compete in the big time. Even a program like Alabama struggled for years until they ponied up the money and got their guy in Saban. I would say it has paid off for them.
      jazyd -
      The only disagreement I would say bud is that if this was Jokers first year he would not be carrying on the brooks culture because he would have replaced all the coach's as he has already done.
      he screwed the old man, tells us what kind of person Joker really is imo. The one guy who was willing to stick his neck out and say Joker was the man got stabbed royally in the back by someone he thought as a friend. And look what we ended up with as coach's. Has any unit gotten better with the new coach's, and I will leave the LB's out because I think Chuck has done a good job until Minter stepped in and wouldn't let him coach. db's, wr's, rb's, st, ol, dl, qb?

Quote Originally Posted by BudCat_upthecreek View Post
      That's exactly right and out of respect for Tony I'll try to phase this as best I can.

If Joker & Mitch had kept their deal with Rich this would be Joker's first year as our HC. Joker would have had 3 yrs training from a Proven Program changer/builder. Plus instead of starting all over with an untrained HC we would have actually been continuing Rich Brooks culture with a trained HC(the concept we were originally sold with the coach in waiting concept) thus not being expected to accept mediocrity because that's what you get from a 1st time HC with NO TRAINING.

Sorry this isn't meant as a smack to Joker, just stating the facts which pretty much explains our current dilemma. A dilemma that exists due to Mitch/Joker not fulfilling their agreement with Rich, thus Rich not even giving Joker 1 yr of training. IMO Mitch allowing this places much more blame on him than it does Joker. Joker was impatient, but Mitch was in control and could have stopped this before it ever started.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      The only disagreement I would say bud is that if this was Jokers first year he would not be carrying on the brooks culture because he would have replaced all the coach's as he has already done.
      he screwed the old man, tells us what kind of person Joker really is imo. The one guy who was willing to stick his neck out and say Joker was the man got stabbed royally in the back by someone he thought as a friend. And look what we ended up with as coach's. Has any unit gotten better with the new coach's, and I will leave the LB's out because I think Chuck has done a good job until Minter stepped in and wouldn't let him coach. db's, wr's, rb's, st, ol, dl, qb?
      Jazy I also would disagree on Washington coaching up our WR's, especially considering the very limited amount of time he's had, i.e. look at Aaron Boyd.
      Jimcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Larry, everyone has now written Joker off. His history is that he will beat one or two teams no one expects him to beat. That well may happen again this year. The problem with Joker is not whether he can win a big gme or not. Rather it is why are his teams consistently inconsistent. Why can't his teams start a half ready to play? Joker should thank you for the interview!
      Seems we have a degree of consistency this season--just not the kind we want.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post