Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Joker explains why he feels he deserves more time

By: LARRY VAUGHT

He’s won only 12 games and lost 16 in a little over two seasons at Kentucky, but it’s not hard for coach Joker Phillips to explain why he thinks he deserves more time to get the football program back on track.

“Well, I mean, we got 72 freshmen and sophomores in this program. We just played a program (Western Kentucky) that has 50 juniors and seniors in their program,” said Phillips Monday. “We got to be better than that. But we got a lot of good, young players playing ball for us.”

Not only are they playing, but Phillips noted how many are playing “significant roles” this season.
    He tried to deflect attention to Saturday’s game at No. 14 Florida by saying the “first order of business is focusing on Florida” and not worrying about his job status or what impact that would have own his players.

“We got to get them prepared, get them prepared for all the things that are involved when you're down a little bit. We got to get them prepared for this hostile environment we're about to go in,” Phillips said. “We have to continue to talk to our kids. This is a time they need us the most as coaches. We'll be there for them.”

Phillips played on an 0-10-1 team at Kentucky under coach Jerry Claiborne

‘I was on a team two years later that had a lot of young kids, I was one of those young kids, and two years later we were 9‑3. One of the last teams to win games,” Phillips said. “Staff here, same way. I was on a staff here that we had some ups and downs. We had a young team when we left (in 1996). But we had seven years. I got that. It's seven years. But at the time we had a young team that we left behind, two years later they were winning seven games.

“Again, we've put together a young team. We did it the right way. There will not be any investigations and those types of things here. We've done it the right way and we'll continue to do it the right way. Again, good, solid young team that we've got to get better every day. It starts by preparing for Florida.”

Phillips was UK’s offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator before becoming head coach. So why is UK so overloaded with freshmen and sophomores and short on juniors and seniors?
    “For some reason or another, it just didn't work out,” Phillips said.

He said it was not bad timing or bad recruiting as some are suggesting.

“We got some really good kids in our upperclassmen. (All-SEC guard) Larry Warford, do you think that's bad recruiting? (Center) Matt Smith, started three years here. We just don't have a lot of the numbers in the senior and junior classes. We don't have 50. Some reason or another, that's the way it is.”

Phillips insisted his past experiences as a player and coach have him “built” for facing adversity like this.

“I've been around some head coaches that I've got a chance to watch go through this. We're fine. I'm fine,” he said. “I haven't got time to worry. My worry is making sure we get prepared for Florida.”
    Phillips’ teams at UK that went 6-6 and then 9-3 after the 0-10-1 year had strong leadership. Same for Rich Brooks’ team that came back from the brink of disaster to make the Music City Bowl in 1996.

“I see a talented freshman quarterback, talented young receivers, some talented backs. We got some guys that will be real good leaders. We have some good leaders in this senior class,” Phillips said. “(Junior) Avery Williamson, he asked me, ‘How you doing, coach?’ I'm fine, how you doing, Avery? He said, ‘Coach, we'll be fine. We just got to hang in there He said this. We got some really good leaders on this football team.”
    Comments 32 Comments
      KeithKSR -
      The Cats are young due to having too many unbalanced classes going back to when we came off probation and the Brooks staff loaded up on bodies to fill the rides that opened up. The Cobb class was way too small, but we were strapped.

With that said the Cats should be playing better than they have been, should be making more plays on the field, and should be playing with more fire and passion. This team is more talented than they are displaying on the field, and you have to lay the performance of the squad at Joker's feet.

If you aren't moving forward then you are falling behind.
      UKHistory -
      Whether this would be Joker's first year or third, the coach in waiting fad was not all that successful a way of doing things.

It seems that when you look at Joker compared to Petrino or Strong who were first year head coaches that Joker comes up unfavorably in the comparison.

I am not all that convinced UK was really good under Brooks because of the anemic non-conference schedule and the bowl game expansion we have experienced.

But that sand foundation would have allowed UK to be a more attractive job and had the chance to recruit a better prepared coordinator OR a proven coach from a lower level who was ready to make a name for himself.

I don't feel that the coaches Joker brought in were able to get the most out of the talent. Two things--not counting getting beat by Western--when it is 3rd down inside the UT 40 and you are in the 4th quarter, go for it. And don't lose to a Pitt team that is coachless.
      jazyd -
      bud, I left Washington out on purpose because so far he only has 3 games under his belt. Part of their success started last year, not because of TMartin but because they had a qb that could put the ball where it could be caught.
      With that said, I liked the Washington hire from the get go, I saw what he did at USM with rb's, and felt he would do a good job at UK. And I was really surprised he couldn't find a better job when the coach left USM for UNC. I hope whoever the new coach is next year will retain two coach's, Chuck and WAshington. Over the years the LB's have done very well, and improved over their ranking. But most of Jokers hires have been busts.

Quote Originally Posted by BudCat_upthecreek View Post
      Jazy I also would disagree on Washington coaching up our WR's, especially considering the very limited amount of time he's had, i.e. look at Aaron Boyd.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      bud, I left Washington out on purpose because so far he only has 3 games under his belt. Part of their success started last year, not because of TMartin but because they had a qb that could put the ball where it could be caught.
      With that said, I liked the Washington hire from the get go, I saw what he did at USM with rb's, and felt he would do a good job at UK. And I was really surprised he couldn't find a better job when the coach left USM for UNC. I hope whoever the new coach is next year will retain two coach's, Chuck and WAshington. Over the years the LB's have done very well, and improved over their ranking. But most of Jokers hires have been busts.
      Our receiving corp seems much improved under Washington, and our LBs have as pointed out out performed their rankings, especially compared to some other areas,

The SEC is not a very good league for a guy to learn to be a head coach.
      TheFabFueder -
      How about til the end of the year at most.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      The thing is, I would be willing to buy the "I need more time" excuse from Joker if his teams didn't come out flat, uninspired, and look generally unprepared for EVERY game! Guess what? Charlie Strong has a young team as well and you NEVER see that kind of start by his teams.

Another thing that has annoyed me to no end is Joker's defensive philosophy. Over and over again he has said that they want to "make them keep taking snaps". It worked for WKU and UL. They kept taking snaps all the way down the field for scores!

Shouldn't he be saying "we wanna make them snap it 3 times and get the ball back on the 4th snap"? Or at least attack and try to pressure the opposing team. Does this bother anyone else or am I the crazy one? Thoughts?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheFabFueder View Post
      How about til the end of the year at most.
      There's "time" this season for him to show what he can do. But not to throw away the season in the hopes of having more seasons that he believes he deserves.

He wants to win six or seven games the remainder of the season, and does it? Boy, he will have earned the "more time." He scoots through and wins two more games? His "more time" disappeared.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      There's "time" this season for him to show what he can do. But not to throw away the season in the hopes of having more seasons that he believes he deserves.

He wants to win six or seven games the remainder of the season, and does it? Boy, he will have earned the "more time." He scoots through and wins two more games? His "more time" disappeared.
      This is beginning to sound like the season we were having when Brooks did the sudden turnaround. People were clamoring for Brooks to be replaced during the bye week, and we end up with a bowl bid. I don't see it happening this time around.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      Our receiving corp seems much improved under Washington, and our LBs have as pointed out out performed their rankings, especially compared to some other areas,

The SEC is not a very good league for a guy to learn to be a head coach.

That was the problem I had with this hire originally. It's a hard fact for many to swallow.

I saw this same thing at alaBama back in the 90s. It was a program in trouble with the NCAA. The fans took over the fax machine in the AD's office clamoring for one of their own to take over. Dumbose turned out to be the worst coach at bama since "Ears" Whitworth. Dealing with building a program, schmoozing with the Alums and meeting the PR demands of an SEC job are not for the inexperienced. And then you have to figure out how to beat LSU, Auburn, Florida and Tennessee. It's like turning over the Ferrari keys to a kid with a learner's permit. There's a chance you could get by. There also the probability that if something bad happens, it gets real expensive, real quick.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Jazy I can't remember the name of our previous DL Coach, but of all our coaches he put more kids in the NFL than any other coach on our staff and he was coaching the hardest position to get recruits for in the SEC, DT's. Plus he turned out some awful fine DE's too. He may not have been a great recruiter, but he sure coached up what he had while he was here, got more out of his people than any other coach probably. In fact I believe we saw one or 2 NFL Coaches make reference to his kids the very first season they were in camp, even when they weren't drafted and were trying to play their way on the team.

OH yea Jazy, it's much easier to catch a spiral and even though Max's is a little loose, it's still much better than anything those guys have tried to catch in a few years. I believe we'll probably get to see Whitlow throw some tomorrow cause I'm not sure how long Max will be able to stand in there and take the Fla punishment. I say Whitlow gets his first taste of the SEC tomorrow and hopefully he'll be able to move around enough to not get killed. Hope Max doesn't get hurt tomorrow, but I expect he'll only be able to stand so much cause he's going to be awful sore.
      jazyd -
      I agree bud on the former coach, but he was Rich's guy so he had to go along with every one of them except Chuck who Joker can't fire because he is a Ky guy. Our DL has gone way down, our OL has gone down, all of it has gone down under Joker. He fired a good st's teams so he could hire his buddy who had never coached special teams, and did it weeks before the start of fall camp. How stupid is that?
      I dont' think Max can last the season,if WKU could put a beating on him like they did, he won't last thru the SEC season just like he couldn't last in the few games he played last year.

Quote Originally Posted by BudCat_upthecreek View Post
      Jazy I can't remember the name of our previous DL Coach, but of all our coaches he put more kids in the NFL than any other coach on our staff and he was coaching the hardest position to get recruits for in the SEC, DT's. Plus he turned out some awful fine DE's too. He may not have been a great recruiter, but he sure coached up what he had while he was here, got more out of his people than any other coach probably. In fact I believe we saw one or 2 NFL Coaches make reference to his kids the very first season they were in camp, even when they weren't drafted and were trying to play their way on the team.

OH yea Jazy, it's much easier to catch a spiral and even though Max's is a little loose, it's still much better than anything those guys have tried to catch in a few years. I believe we'll probably get to see Whitlow throw some tomorrow cause I'm not sure how long Max will be able to stand in there and take the Fla punishment. I say Whitlow gets his first taste of the SEC tomorrow and hopefully he'll be able to move around enough to not get killed. Hope Max doesn't get hurt tomorrow, but I expect he'll only be able to stand so much cause he's going to be awful sore.
      TheFabFueder -
      Times up
  • KSR Twitter Feed