Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mississippi State's Mullen sees a stiff test ahead in Kentucky

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky takes a 5-1 mark into Saturday afternoon's game at Mississippi State coming off its bye week. Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen's team beat BYU last week and he warns that the Bulldogs have a stiff test facing them.

"This year we ended up playing the two top teams in the SEC East. That rotates, so that just happens sometimes with scheduling. Obviously, it is a huge challenge against an excellent football team. They are a play away really from being undefeated and a Top 25 team easily nationally coming in here. It will be a great challenge for us," Mullen said.

"They have a lot of talent. On the field, Mark (Stoops) does a good job of having them believe they can win football games. They do a good job mixing it up, run, and pass. It's a very physical defense, so the guys understand their scheme and what they are supposed to do. They attack you from a lot of different directions and give you a lot of defensive looks.

"Offensively, they spread the ball around and have some very good running backs, so it will be a big challenge for us. Obviously, it was a tough game for us last year, up there, it went right down to the wire. We seem to have very tough battles with them, year in and year out. Hopefully for us, the benefit will be being at home for the second week in a row.

"Hopefully we will have a huge crowd with our fans giving us that home field advantage that we need to make it hard on the opposing team."

Mullen said Kentucky's multiple defensive fronts can confuse an offense.

"They will pressure you, move different directions, blitz a lot of different guys, and show a lot of different coverage looks. We have a lot of length on the outside with the corner positions, so they pose some unique challenges with how multiple they are," Mullen said.

The Mississippi State coach believes the added experience UK quarterback Stephen Johnson has added since last year makes him much better.

"He's understanding his offense, and understanding his reads. He is a great athlete and can make plays with his feet, but also has the maturity of knowing when not to," Mullen said. "Younger guys sometimes make plays with their feet first and then they learn how to throw second. He seems to have that balance and understanding of what they are trying to accomplish."
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post