Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mark Stoops Preparing his Troops for the Mississippi State Bulldogs

By: LONNY DEMAREE

The University of Kentucky has the reaped the benefits of an open date to get some things cleaned up on both side of the ball. Most importantly the open date came at a time when they needed a break the most after starting the season 5-1. It allowed to them the get some injuries healed. Admittedly Stoops said that if they had to play Saturday a couple of starters wouldn't have played. And with the return of Jordan Jones in the lineup they can shore up his position in the depth department. “Overall we were beat down a little,” he said about his players “Having that half day off that we haven't had since the middle of July was good,” he said. Just the mental stress was a relief for the whole staff.

“Eli (Brown) realizes that whereby he did a good job in Jones' absence, he needs to continue to get bigger and stronger to play a complete schedule in this league. “He's done a good job of that,” Stoops clarified. The coach talked about the stress Nick Fitzgerald on a defense. And in particular the back end. He's just so big and strong and you have to prepare not just for the designed run when he is flushed out of the pocket.

The Bulldogs move their offensive line wide to the right or left and then they cutback Courtney Love said. Stoops said he comes from a tough background and it's good to see him doing as well as he is. “He's a leader,” Stoops said. Love is a perfect example of what a year in the system from a junior college player can do for that type of player.

Stoops on his offensive line: “We are starting to find a good mix with Drake (Jackson) playing at center and Bunchy (Stallings) playing more at guard. Drake give us depth and consistency.” He addressed the challenge Jackson will have playing center in this league. He has always been fundamentally sound.” There's no replacing game reps.

Where is this team at the Halfway Point?

“Bottom line is we are 5-1 which is very good,” Stoops said. “We are doing very good in turnover margin and the team has found ways to win when maybe the other side is not playing it's best. We are finding ways to win football game and put ourselves in position to win football games. The coach said there are things that have to be fixed and they are easy fix's. “Easy in theory and mentally teaching but not so easy in application.
    He wasn't able to elaborate on the improvement in the punting and kicking game.
    The addition of Coach Dean Hood as his special team coach who Stoops said he formed a relationship with when they had the trouble over at Eastern Kentucky University.
    The drastic improvement of Stephen Johnson at the quarterback position.
    How the players have responded to Johnson.
    Time of possession.
    The surprising play of the front seven on defense
    Defense against third down 33.7 percent as opposed to the 45 percent last season
    Red Zone offense - and red defense improvement.

Josh Allen is the SEC leader in sacks. If those and the aforementioned defensive stats hold there's no reason to expect the Cat can win three of the remaining six games.

Things That are Annoying

When radio or television talking heads espouse the the team is improved but may not win as many games! That is a dead-fish attitude because if you are improved “Ivory soap pure (99.44 percent) you are going to win more games.

The other is my media cohorts declaring Mike Edwards and Courtney Love have a position at the next level but no so with Jordan Jones because of his size. Former beat writers Chip Cosby and Rusty Hampton said the same thing thing about Danny Trevathan who was very comparable in size to Jones at the same stage. The same thing was said about Wesley Woodyard. COME ON FOLKS, one thing that can't be measured is your heart.
    Comments 7 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Stoops sounds like Butch Jones more each day.
      dan_bgblue -
      Thank Lonny. Great to hear that the team is healing well, and that Jones will take the field on Sat.
      Catfan73 -
      Great write up Lonny.
      wes011 -
      +1, thanks for sharing.
      Terry Blue -
      I don,t know how Botch Jones got in the conversation
      Stoops is 5 and 1, Botch is Dead Man Walking
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Can’t wait to see the game. 6-1 is on its way
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Lonny. Lot of good stuff there.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post