Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari stressing consistency in shooting form with young players

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky coach John Calipari had a chance to coach freshmen Hamidou Diallo and P.J. Washington on Team USA during the summer and get a headstart on learning things about each player going into preseason drills. What he learned is how much they need to get consistent with their shooting form -- like other young players.

"Most of it’s just getting in great shape. Most of it’s every possession matters and you can’t act like stuff doesn’t matter. Things that I’m not worried about that I can get them to do. Consistency in different areas of their games," Calipari said.

"What happens to young guys, they don’t know how to truly practice, for example, shooting. So if you’re going to go in the gym and you tip-toe shoot and then you jump shoot and then you tip-toe shoot; and then you get in and you start playing, you shoot it different. Different is how you elevate.

"It’s okay if it’s a deep shot three to elevate or have a little different shot because it’s a deeper shot, but every other shot you shoot — off the bounce, off a catch, stepping in, two dribbles — you elevate the same way. These guys don’t know that, so now they get in the game and their elevation is different every time they shoot, which means they’re shooting a different shot.

"You watch a professional player, he shoots exactly the same way every time. It doesn’t always go in, but it is exactly the same every time, and they work on shooting exactly the same shot. So it’s more muscle memory than mental memory. If it’s mental memory, you will go mental. If it’s muscle memory, you have amnesia because you’re not thinking about it.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post