Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

  • Cats pick up the pieces, return to work

    By LARRY VAUGHT

    Whether Mark Stoops blamed himself for Kentucky's 28-27 loss to Florida or did not, UK players still have to pick up the pieces and get ready for Eastern Michigan Saturday.

    It doesn't matter why UK left two Florida receivers uncovered on two plays that went for touchdowns. Players cannot dwell on that. Let Stoops and the staff figure that out.

    Stoops said Monday that "quite a few" players have shown big-time leadership since Saturday's loss.

    "It was good to see growth in so many ways. I tried to offset that last Monday about the atmosphere and focusing and seeing what we need to see, and not looking at the big picture. There’s many things we can learn from that environment where we need to execute better. The next time we are in that situation we need to play better in certain situations, all of us," Stoops said.

    "We are constantly striving to improve in that area but I also saw great leadership because I saw frustration and guys wanted it so bad that there is frustration in there. Then I saw the guys regroup and become player-led. The leadership comes from the players. That is great to see. That is growth.

    "None of us are perfect. You know the guys you would normally think. Courtney (Love) is a guy that automatically stands out. I think all of the guys, Nick (Haynes) is always a great leader, Stephen (Johnson). But, you know the nice thing is you are seeing more and more of them. It’s their team, but we constantly have to teach them to be player led.”

    Stoops hasn't denied that the way UK lost because of its own mistakes was "heartbreaking" for coaches, players and fans. Yet he does not want anyone thinking he is not proud of his team. UK had a 27-14 lead and dominated for over three quarters.

    "They’re very resilient. They’re very tough. And we’re really playing the game the right way and it starts with our preparation and our mindset and I’m proud of the team in that way. It’s been like that all year and all offseason. It takes an awful lot of work by those players to put themselves into position to play the way they do," Stoops said.

    “There are things we can all do better, starting with myself, that hurt that we have to accept responsibility for and we have to do better. That starts with me. If our team continues to play with that kind of edge and attitude and work and prepare the way they do and continue to get better then good things are in store for us as we move through the season.

    “We’ll be excited to get back on the field, put that game behind us and begin our preparations because we really don’t have time to sit and dwell on it. It was a long 24 hours for myself, that’s for sure, very difficult for sure. But today is a new day, a new week and a new opportunity so it’s exciting to get back to work.”
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Cats pick up the pieces, return to work started by Darrell KSR View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
    1. suncat05's Avatar
      suncat05 -
      This team has to be resilient with Pumpkinhead at the helm, because he is definitely NOT a good leader himself.
    1. Terry Blue's Avatar
      Terry Blue -
      Unless you,re with him everyday you don,t know what type leader he is and calling the coach of your team names reflects poorly on you and not him. Great leaders make mistakes because they,re human too
    1. suncat05's Avatar
      suncat05 -
      You have your opinion, and I have mine.
      And the last time I checked, it wasn't against the law or any rules to call someone a name. It fits him very well, although if I was a self-respecting pumpkin I would be angry at having this knothead mentioned in association with good pumpkins everywhere.
      I was on the fence with him, and had been for awhile. But after he caused us to lose that game last Saturday, I am done with him. He can't be gone soon enough. He deserves every ounce of derision that he gets from the fanbase.
      Now understand this........I wish him no ill will nor any harm. None of that. But I'm done with the guy after last Saturday.
    1. jazyd's Avatar
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Unless you,re with him everyday you don,t know what type leader he is and calling the coach of your team names reflects poorly on you and not him. Great leaders make mistakes because they,re human too
      great leaders don't make the same mistake over and over again in multiple years. I really think you are 'pumpkinhead' are in the same boat
    1. TRUCKERCATFAN's Avatar
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
      You have your opinion, and I have mine.
      And the last time I checked, it wasn't against the law or any rules to call someone a name. It fits him very well, although if I was a self-respecting pumpkin I would be angry at having this knothead mentioned in association with good pumpkins everywhere.
      I was on the fence with him, and had been for awhile. But after he caused us to lose that game last Saturday, I am done with him. He can't be gone soon enough. He deserves every ounce of derision that he gets from the fanbase.
      Now understand this........I wish him no ill will nor any harm. None of that. But I'm done with the guy after last Saturday.
      I'm pissed at Stoops as well. No excuses for his mistakes that cost us that game. However, I'd like to ask you a very hypothetical question. Please don't take this as me acting like Terry as I love reading your perspective and have the utmost respect for you.

      My wife posed this question to me and now I'll ask you. What if this team rebounds from this loss to go 10-2 and play in a big time bowl? Would Stoops still need to go in you opinion?

      My answer was I'd forgive but still wouldn't forget. What say you.
    1. suncat05's Avatar
      suncat05 -
      There's no forgiveness coming from me. And yes, I'd love it if this team finished 10-2, but if they were to achieve that it would be in spite of their head coach. And given past circumstances and the most recent blunder ( which is as nice as I can be about what he did to his team and us last Saturday ), yes, I'd still like to see him go. Why? Because he's going to do it again, and again.
      Yeah, I like the way he recruits, it's the best we've seen in eons. But he still hasn't figured out what he is supposed to do during in-game situations, and it is my belief he is incapable of doing so.
      You asked, and that is my answer. Hope you understand my perspective.
    1. TRUCKERCATFAN's Avatar
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
      There's no forgiveness coming from me. And yes, I'd love it if this team finished 10-2, but if they were to achieve that it would be in spite of their head coach. And given past circumstances and the most recent blunder ( which is as nice as I can be about what he did to his team and us last Saturday ), yes, I'd still like to see him go. Why? Because he's going to do it again, and again.
      Yeah, I like the way he recruits, it's the best we've seen in eons. But he still hasn't figured out what he is supposed to do during in-game situations, and it is my belief he is incapable of doing so.
      You asked, and that is my answer. Hope you understand my perspective.
      Totally understand and respect your opinion.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

  • Recent Forum Posts

    CitizenBBN

    Re: OT: T-5 days for Georgia Dome implosion

    I'm always fascinated by the American penchant for blowing up and starting over when it comes to real estate. Spend huge money, build something, 20-30

    CitizenBBN Today, 11:40 PM Go to last post
    Terry Blue

    Re: Cats Open +9, +9.5 vs U6

    I don,t think the line or rankings will mean much when the teams hit the field on Saturday. It,s just going to be the team that wants it the most, executes

    Terry Blue Today, 11:34 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

    Governor's Cup Matchup Big for Kentucky and Bowl Opportunities

    Yeah but vs Louisville. Surely those games the attendance won't be down.

    Surely.

    A wise old man once told me, "Son, people

    Darrell KSR Today, 11:32 PM Go to last post
    MickintheHam

    Re: Cats Open +9, +9.5 vs U6

    I won’t speak to the odds but most computer rating services have UofL ranked 20 to 30 places higher than UK. Frequently Louisville is ranked in

    MickintheHam Today, 11:31 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

    Julius Randle off to a hot start

    @LakersReporter: Julius Randle has 17 points in his 13 minutes.

    Darrell KSR Today, 11:31 PM Go to last post