Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Quarterbacks: What do the Coaches Know and when do They Know it

The UK offensive brain trust seems of the best quarterback coach's in the business.
    To that end far be it for me to tell them how to coach their team and specifically the quarterback position.

Philosophically is very much understandable the way they choose to use their quarterbacks. They want to get the back up quarterback some game reps. They want to know what physically Drew Barker can withstand? And Drew barker wants to know that with live bullets can he get the rust off?

All of the pre-season official interviews and off the record comments coming from in and around the team said Stephen Johnson is the leader of this Kentucky Wildcat team. In the games that Johnson has started the team is 9-4. The best percentage seen at UK since Andre Wood son.

Having said all the aforementioned the question is what do the coaches know and when do they know it? Shades of 'Watergate.' Hinshaw is a perfectionist as well as Eddie Gran and they are doing what coaches are paid to do and that's to get from Johnson all they can get. All indication is that they are doing that. But no quarterback is perfect and the coach are also paid to know each of their limitation.

After the third and fourth series unsuccessful excursion with Barker taking the snaps Stoops conceded the players respond to Johnson better – with a caveat. “For sure, I think (the other players) respond to him,” the coach said as he bumped into one of the mirrors. “But it comes down to everybody (else) doing their jobs, too. We have to be more discipline and more consistent. We’ve got to get somethings cleaned up. I was to say the same thing with Drew (Barker) when he went in there. (I’m) very happy that we inserted him in the game in that situation.” Stoops said under some pressure you have to get those quality reps. We have to defend him just like we defend Stephen the coach said – “There are some things around him. You got a holding penalty on the first one; then on next series we’re first and fifteen and had third down. There are not many quarterback that are good on third and long when the protection isn’t good.”

Can they find their way out of the mirror house? We think yes but the question is how large of sample size do they need to finally declare that this is Stephen Johnson's team. Their handsomely paying jobs are secure so why the perceived trepidation making that call. Their job is to win football games and it's Mitch Barnhart's job to manage putting fannies in the seats.

Aside of winning games, what Johnson's teammates respect most in is his poise and the calm he brings to the team (offense). He's done it several times in cases where the entire offense were wondering around in the house of mirrors. And he came in and settled the team down, came from behind and posted the win. Saturday was magnificent when he found Blake Bone and dusted him off. We hadn't seen a Bone sighting since his freshman year. Johnson shows what a good pair of legs can do for a team like the Wildcats.

In Power Five college football if you don't have a dominating team, you had better have a dual threat quarterback.

So for all concerned – the team – the BBN – the media – and for philosophical sake when does Mark
    Stoops make the call. In all the years the ambiguity has been commonplace during fall practice but they have always verbally expressed who the starting quarterback prior to the opening game.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post