Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats can learn from WKU's upward climb in college football

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

Several minutes after a stunning win over the University of Kentucky, pandemonium struck the visitor’s tunnel and locker room at Commonwealth Stadium.

An assistant coach for WKU is on the phone with someone - maybe a wife or a sister - shouting, “How ya like that, girl??” Players are sprinting down the tunnel, tearing their jerseys and helmets off. “That’s why we play the game!” is bellowed over and over again. Sometimes it’s not even words that are audible: just guttural screams echoing across the cement.

It’s the typical scene of a big upset in college football. But Saturday night, it was the scene of a lot more than just an upset.

Willie Taggart and WKU football have arrived. The Hilltoppers played Alabama closer than what was expected – they even sacked the Crimson Tide quarterback six times, which is no slight feat. Taggart has been on the list of up-and-coming head coaches for a while, but perhaps never more so than now.

Taggart instilled in his players the belief that they could win against an SEC opponent, and they bought in. The Toppers ran that two-point conversion in overtime because they knew they were going to make it. The game had already been won by WKU; it was just a matter of whether or not the score would hold in their favor.

Talk has been rampant about the future of Joker Phillips as head coach, how Kentucky can bounce back from this loss and what the Wildcats did wrong. But this loss isn’t just about the negatives of Kentucky – it’s about the positives of WKU, and maybe even how UK can learn from them.

WKU’s positives were clearest during Taggart’s post-game news conference. He gave the obvious quotes about how crucial this win was for the WKU football program, but he also kept saying “we play to win” in response to why he had his team go for two instead of the extra point. Imagine that: a Sun Belt team playing to win, rather than to keep up, with an SEC football team.

The same was true for the Western players: Kawaun Jakes, when asked if he had any doubt of if he would make it to the end zone after catching Antonio Andrews’ trick pass, simply said, “We play to win.” The reporter re-phrased his question, asking if Jakes was afraid the defenders would get to him before crossing the plane.

“I play to win,” he said, this time with a laugh.

It’s a basic quote, but one that conveys the message that the WKU football program is on the rise. Is that any excuse for what happened last night to UK? Absolutely not. But the Wildcats should remember that the Hilltoppers have proven you can make something out of nothing. And while the UK program may not be considered “nothing” right now, it’s certainly at a low point. The Cats can rise from this, just as WKU rose from non-Division-I school to beating an SEC football team.

That’s why you play the game, after all.
    Comments 13 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      WKU players have the benefit of adopting the attitude of their coach. To a large degree, I think the UK players have adopted the attitude of their coach, but it has not been a benefit to date.

btw. the folks in BG hope they can hold on to WT for a long time to come.
      Ashley Scoby -
      I'll be shocked if Taggart lasts much longer than another year in BG. He's a hot name right now, and that's only going to grow after the drama this weekend.
      dan_bgblue -
      Probably right Ashley, but they are hoping that since he is an Alum, it may sway him to stick around and build something special.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Probably right Ashley, but they are hoping that since he is an Alum, it may sway him to stick around and build something special.
      There's only so high a coach can go at a non BCS school.
      Darrell KSR -
      I hope WKU finishes the job. 2-1 with wins over a UK team that may finish 2-10 this season and a win over Austin Peay isn't an accomplishment, even though most believe that WKU is on their way (and they probably are--just be careful, Hilltopper fans, as we're still waiting on them to be tested beyond Alabama).
      catmanjack -
      I want UK to learn from the Alabama's and LSU's of the world not Western.

Sorry just my feeling.

Those teams can win a national championship the UL's and Western's can't and will not
      ever win or play for one no matter how good they think they are.
      UL can go 12-0 and not get crap this year because of the conference and their position in college football.

UK is in the best conference in america and needs to act like it.
      CitizenBBN -
      I think we need to learn to hire a coach who can get his kids to play above their expected level based on rankings. I think we may need to learn to hire their coach outright.

We sure need to learn to come out and play focused from start to finish.
      UKHistory -
      What UK has learned in the past quarter of a century is that over confidence with a willingness to accept mediocrity is a recipe for being everyone's punching bag.

I recall when South Carolina joined the SEC. UK licked its proverbial chops at the prosepct of introducing the Gamecocks to a real football league. Same with UofL. And now Western. There is a reason UK has lost so many consecutive games to Florida and Tennessee. Yes both were among the nation's best teams in the 1990s. But the truth is that we didn't understand what it takes to win big. Or just win.

Western has every right to celebrate. But they beat a UK team in overtime. That is not a great accomplishment. But UK should have been ready or more talented and certainly better coached.
      KSRBEvans -
      One of the things I like about WKU's approach under Taggert is they have a philosophy and they build around that philosophy. Even in year 1 when UK handled them fairly easily, they were committed to a power running style of football and executed it fairly well. Detractors said that was Bobby Rainey's unique talent. Well, Rainey's gone and they still ran the ball right at UK all night. Yes, measuring yourself against UK football doesn't require a very long measuring stick, but I still like the fact that they have an approach and they're committed to executing it, and the benefits of that are showing in the hard-nosed nature of their team.
      jazyd -
      Dan, think the folks in BG would consider a trade. We give them Joker, Minter and Sommers plus $2million straight up for Taggart, and throw in 2 straight home games for WKU.

They play to win, that showed when they had 4th and 1 inside their territory with the lead, they knew they could push UK off hte line and get that 1 yard and they did.
      LakeCat -
      Joker punting at UT two years ago contrast with Taggert going for two in OT, that sums it up in my book.
      UKHistory -
      That was a moment I think we all could have seen that Joker was not the guy. Honestly I saw that in his offensive approach during Brooks' tenure too. It take adaucity to win in sports. Conservative approaches, especially for the underdog, is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
      Joker punting at UT two years ago contrast with Taggert going for two in OT, that sums it up in my book.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      One of the things I like about WKU's approach under Taggert is they have a philosophy and they build around that philosophy. Even in year 1 when UK handled them fairly easily, they were committed to a power running style of football and executed it fairly well. Detractors said that was Bobby Rainey's unique talent. Well, Rainey's gone and they still ran the ball right at UK all night. Yes, measuring yourself against UK football doesn't require a very long measuring stick, but I still like the fact that they have an approach and they're committed to executing it, and the benefits of that are showing in the hard-nosed nature of their team.
      Couldn't agree more. An amazing stat mentioned in the UK - WKU game was that in the second half of that game Western had its very first three and out of the SEASON. And that was only after a 10 yard penalty on first down. And after playing Alabama. Running the ball up the pipe is as much about attitude as power.
  • KSR Twitter Feed