Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky women's soccer to open tonight

I am very anxious to see what happens here. I saw the SEC coaches had Kentucky preseason ranked at the very bottom of the SEC, maybe 12th out of 14 teams. That's too low, IMHO, and I think they'll end up being in the top half with the three recent international additions, which I think will change the dynamics of the team. I could be way wrong; I've never seen this guy coach as head coach since he hasn't done it, and we were poor last season.

It may be too early to see good results since the late additions just joined the team, but soccer is kind of a weird sport where you can add a playmaker and things "work." In club ball, it is not uncommon to see guest players inserted to a team for a tournament, and the team thrives with it. So we'll see.

UK Media Release to follow.

Calendar
    Wildcats face Wisconsin, Marquette on the road to open the 2017 season

LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky women’s soccer team will open the 2017 UK Athletics calendar year on Friday night, as the Wildcats will play the Wisconsin Badgers in Madison with kick-off slated for 8 p.m. ET on BTN2Go. The opening weekend of action will conclude on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. ET as UK plays in Milwaukee against Marquette.

Friday will mark the beginning of a new era for UK, as Ian Carry takes over as head coach after a four-year stint as an assistant coach within the program. Carry has led the Wildcats through an immensely successful spring season and preseason training – and will take the field Friday for the first time as an NCAA head coach.

The Wildcats return eight starters from a year ago, including both of its All-Southeastern Conference performers from a season ago. Freshman goalkeeper Evangeline Soucie returns in the net as one of the best pure shot-stoppers in the nation. In addition, UK brings back its leading two goal scorers from 2016, including senior Mexican International player, Tanya Samarzich.

It will be a tough test for the Wildcats this weekend, facing two teams that went to the NCAA Tournament a season ago. The Badgers advanced past Marquette in the first round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament - before suffering a second-round loss in double overtime at Florida. The Golden Eagles were the Co-Champs of the Big East in 2016, advancing into the field of 64 with an at-large selection by the selection committee.

Under the direction of Paula Wilkins, who will be entering her 11th year at the helm of the Badgers - the Wisconsin Badgers enter the 2017 season coming off of a NCAA Tournament berth. The Badgers advanced past Marquette in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament before dropping a 3-2 double-overtime match to Florida in Gainesville in the second round. For the first time since 2013, the Badgers will be without the midfield service of Rose Lavelle - who was the first overall pick in the 2017 NWSL Draft to the Boston Breakers. Wisconsin has three seniors and no juniors on their roster - making them one of the youngest teams in the nation this season.

Marquette enters the 2017 season off of another NCAA Tournament berth a season ago. The Golden Eagles advanced to the first round, where they lost 1-0 to Wisconsin on the road in Madison. This season, MU has four seniors on the roster, and also return their leading goal scorer from a year ago, Carrie Madden. Madden led the Golden Eagles with 17 points last season including six goals and five assists. The Golden Eagles lost 4-1 in a preseason friendly to Wisconsin last week.

Match Center
    Friday, Aug. 18 – Kentucky at Wisconsin; 8 p.m. ET; Madison, Wisc.
    Live stats: UKathletics.com
    Live video: BTN2Go ($)

Sunday, Aug. 20 – Kentucky at Marquette; 3:30 p.m. ET; Milwaukee, Wisc.
    Live stats: UKathletics.com
    Live video: Big East Digital Network
  • KSR Twitter Feed