Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Opinions on 2017 UK Football Season run Rampant

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Having freshly returned From the Louisville Alumni chapter kickoff Luncheon at the Gault House hotel, there is a level of enthusiasm not seen in recent times. Some are outwardly optimistic and some are cautiously optimistic.

Having recently been in Hoover, Alabama the opinions were a mixed bag. Among the print media that in 2016 appeared to look at UK somewhat differently on the more positive side. However the ambivalence on their part has seeped back into their opinion of the Cats. Perhaps they are not running blind to the warts the Cats have and their ability the defeat the same teams they defeated last season - most of which are on the road. Most of all they see the other teams in the SEC east stronger than last season.

The SEC Network Analyst’s Anthony “Booger” McFarland, Marcus Spears, and networks lead anchor Dari Nowkhah who for the most part extinguish their partiality, unlike the writers who are there covering their home state universities. They have a much different view of University of Kentucky football, for the second year running. Most of those guys on the network have played the game and understanding what they are witnessing.

Around the Bluegrass and Louisville there is some enthusiasm ramping up for the fortunes of the Cats. We asked longtime season ticket holder (1973) Grover Sales what he is feeling right now. He said – “I feel that the media at the SEC media days disrespected us by picking us fifth in the Eastern Division. It gives our players a chance to prove they were picked to low. UK has always been the odd man out. Now we have the players, the coaches, the facilities, and there’s no reason we can’t be at the top rung of the SEC where UK football was years ago and can be again. Nothing would give me greater joy than to see our players be successful at Kroger Field.” Sales pointed to Jordan Jones and Benny Snell but he said it all starts up front with John Schlarman’s guys. “I think we are committed to winning football with the coaches we brought in, the facilities, and most of all the kind of young men we are bringing into the program,” Sales spoke about the commitment that’s been made.

Now what does Hall of Famer Wilbur Hackett a former player, and SEC referee think of where the program presently is? “I think they believe they can win,” Hackett said of the attitude of the players. “From the coaches on down to the players. The turnaround from what happened winning seven games and going to a bowl was the confidence that they can do this in the SEC. I’ve played in the league and I’ve refereed in it and I know the type of players and UK is starting to stack up. When you play with confidence and the type of players they’re bringing and the across the board leadership. All that is key to where this team is trying to go. More than anything, it’s confidence. I saw it this spring. I just see growth and confidence.

So these are the opinions across the entire landscape for what’s in store for the Wildcats.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post