Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Hoops Weiss: Calipari isn't going anywhere

By LARRY VAUGHT

Few media members know John Calipari as well as Dick “Hoops” Weiss, a member of the College Basketball Writers Hall of Fame. He now covers college basketball for BlueStar Media but has also worked for newspapers in Philadelphia and New York.

Weiss has also written books with Calipari, Dick Vitale, Rick Pitino and Mike Krzyzewski.

Weiss made the trip to Egypt to watch the USA participate in the under 19 FIBA World Cup. He was in Cairo last week when a report surfaced that Calipari had an interest in becoming president of the New York Knicks.

Calipari quickly denied the report but I got in touch with Weiss to ask him how Calipari reacted.

“I think he was more concerned about where the story came from,” Weiss said. “He told me, ‘There may be a coach who called the Knicks, but if they want me I intend to be at Kentucky for a long time.’”

Weiss said Calipari joked he has “7.7 million” reasons (his annual salary) to stay at Kentucky.

“He is having a good time coaching this team and he is not going anywhere,” Weiss said.

Two current UK players, Hamidou Diallo and P.J. Washington, are with Team USA and Calipari in Egypt. Diallo made a last-minute decision to pull his name out of the NBA draft and return to Kentucky to play for Calipari.

“He said Hami would kill him if he left,” Weiss said.

He also said Diallo had surprised him and Weiss now thinks he is a potential lottery pick.
    Comments 1 Comment
      dan_bgblue -
      Imo, Pretty thoughtful and solid article from ESPN about Coach and the lure of the NBA. I do not care for much of what Medcalf writes, but I think he did a good job on this one

ESPN
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post