Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Paul Washington working his recruiting magic

By LARRY VAUGHT

When I was at the McDonald’s All-American Game in Chicago, I watched Paul Washington spend a lot of time explaining to Kevin Knox Sr. why his son, Kevin Jr., should join Paul’s son, P.J., and others at Kentucky.

About five weeks later, Kevin Knox Jr. surprised many — but not Paul Washington — by giving his verbal commitment to UK and not Duke, North Carolina or Florida State.

Now Paul Washington might be working his magic again. He’s in Egypt with his wife, Sherry, watching their son, P.J., and Team USA play in the under 19 FIBA World Cup.

Three major Kentucky recruiting targets in the 2018 recruiting class — Immanuel Quickly, Cam Reddish and Louis King — are also on their team. The fathers of all three players are also in Egypt.

So is Paul Washington talking UK with them?

“We had dinner the other night with them all,” Washington said from Egypt. “We talk a lot of recruiting. We are the only parents here, so we are together a lot. So you know me. Whatever I need to do for the UK family, I will do it.”

King, a 6-8 forward out of New Jersey, does not have a UK offer like Quickly, Reddish and Romeo Langford, another high school senior on the team, do. But he would like to have one. Kansas, Syracuse, North Carolina State, Seton Hall, Connecticut and Maryland are some of the schools that have already offered the top 15 player in the 2018 recruiting class.

“I think a lot of people are sleeping on Louis King. I think he is doing really well,” Paul Washington said. “I think he’ll get a Kentucky offer, and probably really soon. You don’t want to sleep on him.”
    Comments 8 Comments
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      By LARRY VAUGHT

“I think a lot of people are sleeping on Louis King. I think he is doing really well,” Paul Washington said. “I think he’ll get a Kentucky offer, and probably really soon. You don’t want to sleep on him.”
      Not me. I really like him and he is showing a lot to like in Egypt. Unless there is something else going on, I'm sure an offer will be extended very soon. Nothing like seeing a player in practice for a month to answer any questions the staff might have.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Not me. I really like him and he is showing a lot to like in Egypt. Unless there is something else going on, I'm sure an offer will be extended very soon. Nothing like seeing a player in practice for a month to answer any questions the staff might have.
      It speaks volumes that he made the squad. He and Reddish would be a homer until package deal for Cal.
      patrick54 -
      The reason he doesn't have an offer is obvious to me: we have several players at his position currently on roster who are not surefire enough one and done to assume this early they are leaving, and at the same time, there are 3-4 ELITE guys at his position in the 2018 class Cal wants to make a run at first (2-4 position - Langford, Barrett, reddish, Williamson).

Until either cal becomes more confident more players on current roster are going to leave and/or less confident in where he stands with a couple of those elite 2018 guys, I would think he would hold off on King.

I'm pretty sure cal has laid all this before King and asked he would be patient because in a recent interview King says he intends to wait till spring. Thought that was good news for UK to land him.

At the end of the day I think all this will shake out in uks favor for King
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by patrick54 View Post
      The reason he doesn't have an offer is obvious to me: we have several players at his position currently on roster who are not surefire enough one and done to assume this early they are leaving, and at the same time, there are 3-4 ELITE guys at his position in the 2018 class Cal wants to make a run at first (2-4 position - Langford, Barrett, reddish, Williamson).

Until either cal becomes more confident more players on current roster are going to leave and/or less confident in where he stands with a couple of those elite 2018 guys, I would think he would hold off on King.

I'm pretty sure cal has laid all this before King and asked he would be patient because in a recent interview King says he intends to wait till spring. Thought that was good news for UK to land him.

At the end of the day I think all this will shake out in uks favor for King
      Of the four you listed (Reddish, Langford, Williamsom and Barrett) none would exclude King. Reddish and King play on the same AAU/eybl team so clearly they can, and do, play together. Langford is a SG while King is a SF. Williamson is a PF and Barrett isn't even in the class. There has been talk of reclassification but its not a done deal. By your reasoning, Cal needs to withdrawal the offer to either Reddish or Langford b/c both want to play the SG. Add that Cal has never shyed away from a player due to position. He has always stood by the get the best players possible on the floor, whether that's 2 point guards, or a 3 guard lineup.

I don't know the reason for the holdup but I expect an offer will be extended soon, likely before Reddish, Langford, Williamson or Barrett commit anywhere
      patrick54 -
      Of the four you listed (Reddish, Langford, Williamsom and Barrett) none would exclude King. Reddish and King play on the same AAU/eybl team so clearly they can, and do, play together. Langford is a SG while King is a SF. Williamson is a PF and Barrett isn't even in the class. There has been talk of reclassification but its not a done deal. By your reasoning, Cal needs to withdrawal the offer to either Reddish or Langford b/c both want to play the SG. Add that Cal has never shyed away from a player due to position. He has always stood by the get the best players possible on the floor, whether that's 2 point guards, or a 3 guard lineup.

I don't know the reason for the holdup but I expect an offer will be extended soon, likely before Reddish, Langford, Williamson or Barrett commit anywhere
      I agree that none of those players would exclude King but if Cal thinks he can get 2-3 of them then it might exclude King. I also think cal could offer him before those guys commit but he would prob have a better idea of his chances to land them.

If it's me I say offer King now though. He seems to have played very well in the tournament.

Who's game would you compare him to? Darius Miller type? Jared Vanderbilt?
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by patrick54 View Post
      I agree that none of those players would exclude King but if Cal thinks he can get 2-3 of them then it might exclude King. I also think cal could offer him before those guys commit but he would prob have a better idea of his chances to land them.

If it's me I say offer King now though. He seems to have played very well in the tournament.

Who's game would you compare him to? Darius Miller type? Jared Vanderbilt?
      He is a classic wing with height. I'd actually compare him favorably to Kevin Knox. He can certainly rebound well enough and shoot well enough. IMO Knox is quicker off the floor and a better defender/shot blocker. But I really like King. I like kids who play in quality leagues and it doesn't get any better than NYC/NJ area.

It might be that no offer has been given because Cal isn't sold on him. If so, fine. I suspect playing on the USA team has given Cal all the info he needs for either an up or down decision on him so if an offer doesn't come fairly soon then I suspect none would come unless UK misses on everybody....which won't happen. I'm not sure you're going to find a better SF forward out there assuming Reddish is determined to play the guard spot (which is likely to his benefit)
      KeithKSR -
      I suspect King will be offered after the U19 championships have concluded. If Cal offers while they are together the optics wouldn't be good.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      I suspect King will be offered after the U19 championships have concluded. If Cal offers while they are together the optics wouldn't be good.
      I agree. I think he used this as an extended audition, as well as a let the recruit see what I've got.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post