Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky v Louisville Super Regional Game 2

Lineup change: Troy Squires in at catcher, Luke Becker out of the DH spot, replaced by Kole Cottam.

Sean Hjelle on the mound, Kentucky is the home team today.

Comments 139 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Hope that is the last one Hjelle serves up today. Good grief that was right down the pike with no movement
      dan_bgblue -
      Driving me crazy again today behind the plate. Squires is back to the convoluted set of hand motions when giving the signs with a man at 2nd. Killing Hjelle's rhythm
      Darrell KSR -
      Next batter in a hole, 0-2, hits a little chopper, weak, but over the 6'11 Hjelle...Heady tries to barehand it--probably wouldn't have done any good, but couldn't, and it's an infield single.

Time for a double play, Cats. Need Hjelle to pitch deep today.

Another weak chopper, but this one won't make it past Hjelle. Too slow and too risky to try for the force, so Hjelle goes to 1st for out # 2. Cards runner moves to 2nd.

Side note--Louisville's road uniforms look 100x better than their home uniforms.

Hjelle misses, then floats a curve over the plate. Fouled off, and he's ahead 1-2, and next pitch will be # 32 for him. Just misses inside--this umpire has a tight zone; hopefully UK can take advantage of it on our end. Easy grounder to Heady, he clutches and pumps, throws to first wide of the bag, but a terrific stretch with the foot on the bag, and out # 3.

Bottom 2
      Kentucky 0
      Louisville 1
      dan_bgblue -
      Thank you Mr White. That one almost cost the Cats a run but you managed to catch it with the foot on the bag
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Hope that is the last one Hjelle serves up today. Good grief that was right down the pike with no movement
      It was awfully pretty, if by pretty you mean over the heart of the plate throwing batting practice.
      Darrell KSR -
      Hjelle is probably 90% of what he is at his best today, it seems to me. A 90% Hjelle is awfully dang good, though. I am hoping he's not going to be tired early because he pitched Monday.

He's at 33 pitches through 2 innings, on pace for a 6 or 7 inning outing.
      dan_bgblue -
      Even though it did not end well, that was a very good at bat for Cottam. 10 pitches
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Hjelle is probably 90% of what he is at his best today, it seems to me. A 90% Hjelle is awfully dang good, though. I am hoping he's not going to be tired early because he pitched Monday.

He's at 33 pitches through 2 innings, on pace for a 6 or 7 inning outing.
      Not one of his best outings so far. We need McKay to continue to throw a bunch.
      Doc -
      lol...that it is. And Mountain Dew the night before? Man, these guys are GOOOOOOOD. At something.
      Not that he just drinks the Mountain Dew, he CHUGS it!!!!!
      Darrell KSR -
      Cottam up, and watches a couple of balls, and McKay isn't super sharp, either. Takes a strike, then whales at a fastball on the outside black and misses, and it's 2-2. Ball down and outside, and count is full. Cottam really crowds the plate, exposed to a good inside running fastball. McKay agrees, throws one there, and he fouls it away. Good job. Does it again, fouls it again. Cottam waiting on the mistake. Throws another there, this time Cottam doesn't get it, and misses the 94mph fastball for strike 3. McKay threw it perfectly each time.

Riley "Grand Slam" Mahan up and it's southpaw v southpaw. He's in the hole, 1-2 (have I said that a bunch already?) Ooh, takes a pitch inside that's a terrific pitch, but umpire squeezes it again, and it's 2-2. Ball low, and count full. Fly lifted to left field, and it's out # 2.

McKay has thrown over 100 pitches in every start he's had since the 4th appearance, so if Kentucky is trying to run his pitch count up, I wouldn't expect it to be successful without some hitting and walks before the 7th or 8th inning.

Squires at the plate (and behind the plate), and is ahead, 2-1. Fouls one off. Fouls another. Easy grounder to 2nd, 3 up, 3 down for UK.

Top 3
      Kentucky 0
      Louisville 1
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Not one of his best outings so far. We need McKay to continue to throw a bunch.
      x2 for both.
      Darrell KSR -
      Hjelle has thrown 33 pitches through 2 innings, 19 strikes and 14 balls. Needs a better strike/ball ratio.

McKay has thrown 36 pitches, 24 strikes, 12 balls.
      dan_bgblue -
      UH Darrell, there is the no call again
      Darrell KSR -
      Oh my gosh, please stop the incessant idiotic talk. Really, do we need to hear crap about Hjelle in the shower? Shut up.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      UH Darrell, there is the no call again
      He's squeezing it. I can't tell now when he's going to call it and when he's not.
      Doc -
      We need a double play here
      Doc -
      Oh my gosh, please stop the incessant idiotic talk. Really, do we need to hear crap about Hjelle in the shower? Shut up.
      At least it's not a video feature
      Doc -
      Always one idiot who yells "balk". Course in Louisville there are 10,000 idiots, just one who yelled because the other 9,999 where swilling their beer
      dan_bgblue -
      Whew
      Darrell KSR -
      Full count on the first batter (squeezing the zone), and fly to right field with the batter very late, headed toward the line but Pompey reels it in.

Super bunt down 3rd base line; Marshall does everything you can do, but he's safe with a bunt single. Louisville with a hit-and-run (or maybe straight steal), ball hit up the middle, with shortstop and 2nd base both covering the bag, but somehow it escapes both, and it's a base hit, and Cards have runners on the corners and this could be trouble.

2-0 on the hitter. Offspeed down in the zone, and it's 3-0. Most umpires would have called that a strike, but I have no problem with that one. There's a strike. Fouled off his foot, count full. Ball low, check swing strikeout, and runner steals. Their runner stopped about 6 feet from the bag, hoping for a throw, but Squires didn't throw, not risking it.

McKay up now, dangerous hitter, and two runners in scoring position. Ahead 0-1, and popped up....ooh, I didn't like how Heady caught that sorta crossways over his body, but shortstops generally have good agility, don't they?

Big pitch there from Hjelle.

Bottom 3
      Kentucky 0
      Louisville 1
  • KSR Twitter Feed