Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky v Louisville Super Regional Game 2

Lineup change: Troy Squires in at catcher, Luke Becker out of the DH spot, replaced by Kole Cottam.

Sean Hjelle on the mound, Kentucky is the home team today.

Comments 139 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      At least it's not a video feature
      lol...oh, you went there. Then again, they would too.
      Darrell KSR -
      Hjelle: 49 pitches, 29 strikes, 20 balls. Has allowed 4 hits in 3 innings, no walks, 1 strikeout.
      Doc -
      Screaming opposite field liner puts Carson on first with one out
      dan_bgblue -
      The umps low strike zone keeps moving as well
      Darrell KSR -
      Cats have one hit, but McKay has faced the minimum, courtesy of a double play. So he'll face 7-8-9 this inning.

Tyler Marshall fans.
      Marcus Carson with a dribbler that is going to go foul, no it's not, it stays fair and no play as he has an infield single.

Heady up and he's behind 0-2. Heady works a pitcher as well as anyone, but not much you can do down 0-2. McKay is throwing better to right-handed hitters than left-handed hitters, it seems to me. Takes a pitch high. Curve in the dirt, shouldn't have swung, but he did, and there's another strikeout.

Pompey up, and we need an extra base hit here. Ball one. Pitch down, excellent change and Pompey fishes for it and swings four times around before the ball gets there, and it's 1-1. Fouled off, and he's i....well, you know. I might start Carson here with the top of the lineup up. McKay thinking the same, throws over twice now. There goes Carson--did Pompey strike out? Not sure, but Carson is thrown out. Started the slide a tad too early, but I don't think it mattered.

Top 4
      Kentucky 0
      Louisville 1
      Darrell KSR -
      Pompey did strike out to end the inning, so White will lead off next inning.
      Darrell KSR -
      McKay: 49 pitches, 35 strikes, 14 balls, 3 innings, 2 hits, 4 strikeouts.
      dan_bgblue -
      The turf field has cost UK twice so far. The grounder up the middle that neither a diving Heady nor a diving Mahan could knock down earlier would have been catchable on a grass field, and then it cost Carson the stolen base as the turf grabbed at him on the slide that would have been different on dirt.

Hate the turf, and UK is gonna have it at the new field
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Mangione just said the plan is to get McKay out and believes he will go in 6th or 7th inning.
      Darrell KSR -
      Good start to the 4th inning as Hjelle gets his 2nd strikeout.

Hairston up, and he bangs his 2nd base hit of the game. Hairston is Dorian Hairston's brother, former Kentucky baseball player. Gotta be a little mixed feelings there, although Dorian surely is rooting for brother.

Hjelle with some throws to 1st, and White really makes a nice snap tag on runners. It looks so smooth that on something close, we'll get a pickoff.

1-2 on the next batter. Grounder to White as he moves toward 2nd, waits a tick for Heady to get there, steps toward the interior of the infield so he has a clear throw, and gets the force out. That was a really nice play, underrated.

Two down, and the 8th batter for Louisville at the plate. Bounces up the middle, Mahan with a nice snag just short of behind 2nd, races to bag ahead of the runner, and Cards are out.

Bottom 4
      Kentucky 0
      Louisville 1
      dan_bgblue -
      Nice, really nice play by Mahan for the last out
      dan_bgblue -
      Grounder to White as he moves toward 2nd, waits a tick for Heady to get there, steps toward the interior of the infield so he has a clear throw, and gets the force out. That was a really nice play, underrated.
      But he will play the outfield at the next level
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Mangione just said the plan is to get McKay out and believes he will go in 6th or 7th inning.
      Earlier he exits, the happier I'll be, even though Louisville has an excellent bullpen. But Cats will have to get some more batters making plate appearances against him, not just work the count, or else he'll get farther. 98 pitches would be double that, through 6 innings, which means he'd go at least one more inning and get Louisville to the 8th. So we have to do better. But if Louisville wants to stop his 100+ pitch streak, I'm ok with that.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      But he will play the outfield at the next level
      Man....
      Darrell KSR -
      Hjelle had a nice inning last inning, and is at 60 pitches through 4 innings now. Hopefully will give us at least 7. If he's strong and healthy and not tired, maybe 8?
      Darrell KSR -
      White pops up on the first pitch--but he's been an early hitter all season, the exception to the rule, and how can you argue with a .370 hitter?

Reks strikes out on 4 pitches, and McKay about to have a super-easy inning, and lower his pitch count even more.

Announcers criticizing White, but I promise, he's done that all year, and done it successfully all year.

Cottam up, behind 1-2, now time for a home run. Will post for good luck.
      Darrell KSR -
      Didn't work, struck out, and that's a 9-pitch inning for McKay. Crap. Looking like an 8-inning game for him to me.

Top 5
      Kentucky 0
      Louisville 1
      dan_bgblue -
      Wow, the Cats burned that inning for running up the pitch count. They were thinking offense first not defense when at bat
      Darrell KSR -
      McKay with 58 pitches (42 strikes, 16 balls).
      Hjelle with 60 pitches (37 strikes, 23 balls).

Of course, it's just a 1-run game. That's one swing of the bat. Cats get a player on, single, error, walk, HBP, whatever, and then one big swing and it's a different game.
      dan_bgblue -
      1st batter walk is never a good thing
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post