Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky v North Carolina State: Regional Championship Game Chat (SEC Network)

Game has been picked up by the SEC Network.

LHP Zach Logue, who threw 58 pitches Saturday, gets the start for Kentucky as we expected.
    Comments 258 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      FWIW we're up 3-2, top of the 4th, NC pitching change coming up after the hit batter.
      Darrell KSR -
      OK, so it was an 8-pitch inning. I must've dozed during two of the pitches.

Piedmonte starts the inning with 52 pitches, not horrible, but up a little.

3-0 on Becker, auto strike, then walks him. 3rd walk for Piedmonte. Stay wild.

Mahan up, fouls off two straight pitches. And another. Pitchout, and nothing doing for UK. Fouls off another. And another. That's five fouls so far this at-bat. Hoping the pitcher makes a mistake. Might have made it there, Mahan turns on it, and rips it, but foul again, # 6. Then lines it right at the right fielder, another very hard hit out, had him played perfectly in the gap.

Kole Cottam up, and he fanned his first time and didn't look great at bat. Takes two pitches outside the zone. Fouls back an 88mph fastball across the plate, and I bet he wishes he had that one back. Ball low, and Cottam with good discipline not to swing at that pitch that three other UK batters had done, and it's 3-1. Ball belt high, but he fouls it, and it's a full count. Becker takes off, but fouled away, and they'll do it again. Will they start Becker again?

Yes, they do, and with infield moving to 2nd, Cottam lines it where the 2nd baseman would've been, and Becker keeps going to 3rd, and we have runners on the corners with one out for Tyler Marshall.

Ball high, and the NCSU catcher urges Piedmonte to keep the ball down low, or settle down, I guess it could be either. Ball on the plate, Marshall almost goes, but they check with the 3rd base ump, and he says no, and it's 2-0. On replay, it should've been a strike, as bat crossed plate by a foot. Another checked swing, and again, 3rd base ump says no, and it's upsetting North Carolina State, and this could be big.

Replay, and this one, could've been a strike, too. NC St coach goes out to "talk to his players," as he can do, as he can't really challenge the strike call without getting tossed, and good move by him, but his players are upset. I love it.

They settle down a bit, and Mingione comes out to give ump a little discussion too, and we'll start it again. Here we go.

Ball four, Marshall walks, bases are loaded, one out, and Marcus Carson at the plate. Struck out in his first appearance, and I'd give a dollar and a quarter for a base hit here.

Ball inside, hits....the bat handle. Wow. Strike one, could've been an RBI HBP. RIPPED down the right field line, two-rbi double, and this game is tied, boys and girls.

Runners now at 2nd and 3rd, still only one out, and Heady at the plate.

Heady hits it hard at the 2nd baseman, but he's playing back, and it's an RBI groundout and smart, or "heady" play, as Kentucky takes the lead, 3-2. Carson moves to 3rd with two outs.

Pompey up, and a little bingle would be good here, too. Plunks him in the back, and Pompey doesn't like it, stares the pitcher down, the catcher doesn't like it, Pompey turns his head, says something, umpire follows him down 1st base and I'm just glad he's staying in the game.

Runners on the corners for Evan White.

NCSU out to make a pitching change, and something else is going on, and Mingione and the umpire are having big words.
      Doc -
      I got no audio. What's going on??
      Darrell KSR -
      White will face the southpaw, Cody Beckman. Should be fresh enough, but threw a bunch of pitches Friday night in relief.
      Darrell KSR -
      The best I can tell on what's going on besides the pitching change--the umpires warned both teams. And it stemmed from there. Neither coach is happy. Both with words with the umpire, but held off from getting tossed. Good restraint on all parts, including the umpires.
      CitizenBBN -
      Darrell, radio is saying he was unhappy with how long it took for the call to the bullpen. Honestly not sure what that means, but that's what he said happened. Not sure if it was that such a call should be automatic after the hit batter or he went out there and had too much time in the conference or something else.
      CitizenBBN -
      Attachment 6601

Fwiw this is the storm front that went through. I was driving.
      Doc -
      He is correct. Call to pen should have been immediate as it was his second visit. First visit was to save the third baseman who was challenging balls and strikes which you can't do. Coach came out to squelch that but that was a visit to the mound to justify
      Darrell KSR -
      White chops a little soft one over the mound, 2nd baseman barehands, and throws, and throws high, White would've beaten the throw anyway, and a run scores, and it's 4-2, and runners on the corners.

White goes down as his leg hit the first baseman's leg, and both went down, but both appear ok. Single and an error on the play, but and RBI to score the runner, the error allowing Pompey to go to 3rd.

Zach Reks at the plate, and it's lefty v lefty here. Ball low on an 87 mph fastball. It's the time of the regional where that's not a bad fastball, especially if it moves any at all. Curve across the plate. Curve misses, and it's 2-1. Another curve, and Reks wants nothing to do with them, but it floats over just like the first one did, and it's 2-2. I wouldn't throw him anything else. Fouls off a fastball, and that might be the last one he sees. White was running on the pitch, by the way.

White going, curve high, catcher doesn't throw, and that should be a stolen base rather than catcher's indifference, but who knows what the scorer will call. Full count, ball too high but he swings at it and hits an infield pop-up to end the inning.

Bottom 4
      Kentucky 4
      NCSU 2
      Doc -
      Ill take the 4 runs and chased picther
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Attachment 6601

Fwiw this is the storm front that went through. I was driving.
      That looked nasty. Do you always drive on two wheels? Wait--I've ridden with you. You do.
      CitizenBBN -
      FWIW UK managed to score again, 4-2 UK now. Pop up fly ends it and we go to the bottom of the 4th.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Ill take the 4 runs and chased picther
      Definitely. Good inning. We may need 4 more before the game is over, but you can't get "4 more" until you get "the first 4."
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      The best I can tell on what's going on besides the pitching change--the umpires warned both teams. And it stemmed from there. Neither coach is happy. Both with words with the umpire, but held off from getting tossed. Good restraint on all parts, including the umpires.
      Not really. Why warn. Hitter got hit. Wasnt being thrown at.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Darrell, radio is saying he was unhappy with how long it took for the call to the bullpen. Honestly not sure what that means, but that's what he said happened. Not sure if it was that such a call should be automatic after the hit batter or he went out there and had too much time in the conference or something else.
      He is correct. Call to pen should have been immediate as it was his second visit. First visit was to save the third baseman who was challenging balls and strikes which you can't do. Coach came out to squelch that but that was a visit to the mound to justify
      That makes sense.
      Doc -
      CitizenBBN -
      That looked nasty. Do you always drive on two wheels? Wait--I've ridden with you. You do.
      Yeah, that came from phone, need to fix it. But as to your question, yes.

It was one of those fronts that was as clear as you'll see it. Been nice all afternoon, clear skies, then this perfect front rolls through. Made for that pretty sunset though.
      Hoss -
      Heck of an inning!
      Darrell KSR -
      I mean good job of restraint not to toss anyone. Good job on the coaches not to cross the line.
      Darrell KSR -
      Logue had to wait a bunch, better watch him carefully. He may not be sharp.

Ball one. Ball two. Ball three. Ball four. Crap, I hate seeing that coming, but not a shock. Mingione trying to get more out of him, but he threw 58 pitches Saturday, it's a cool rainy day, he had to wait a bunch there, lot of reasons to worry.

He's only at 41 pitches now, with 37 pitches through 3.

Ball, and that's his 5th straight. Ball that must misses, but it missed, and it's 2-0. Posting this to change the luck.
  • KSR Twitter Feed