Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky v North Carolina State: Regional Championship Game Chat (SEC Network)

Game has been picked up by the SEC Network.

LHP Zach Logue, who threw 58 pitches Saturday, gets the start for Kentucky as we expected.
    Comments 258 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Here we go...game still on SEC Network.

Cats will lead it off, with Pompey-White-Reks.
      Darrell KSR -
      Pompey takes three pitches, two of them balls, then hits a shot on the nose but right at the center fielder for out # 1.

White takes a pitch that's across the letters; this umpire calls the high strike and that's ok if he's consistent, misses on a pitch outside the zone, fouls one off, then hits one on the nose like White usually does, but he also hits it at the center fielder for out # 2.

Reks takes a strike, then swings at a ball too low and it's 0-2, and this pitcher is having our lunch right now. Bloop to left field, a little Bermuda triangle action going on, but the left fielder eventually catches it, not too snugly, but doesn't let it leave, and that's 3 up, 3 down.

Bottom 1
      Kentucky 0
      NC State 0
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Here we go...game still on SEC Network.

Cats will lead it off, with Pompey-White-Reks.
      3 up, 3 down

0-0 middle of the 1st
      Doc -
      Reks playing left and right field
      Darrell KSR -
      As the announcers say, today is Charlie Wholestaff day for Kentucky, but Zach Logue to start it off. TV graphic says they want 4 innings from him, and I'm sure that's right.

Three pitches, three strikes, out # 1. That'll do.

4 pitches, 4 strikes. 5 pitches, 5 strikes. 6th pitch, another strike, but fouled away. 7th pitch is an absolute beauty, drops just below the zone, and can't get either the batter or the ump to bite, and it's 1-2. Another pitch, another foul pop-up, but handled by Evan White and that's out # 2.

Beautiful curve over the plate to start batter # 3, and then another fouled away, and it's 0-2. 10 pitches, 9 strikes and the 10th may have been his best pitch. Threw a waste pitch outside and up and couldn't get him to chase. And a strikeout ends the inning, with the ball in the dirt, Cottam getting the ball as it bounced away, but throwing a nice throw to White to end it.

3 up, 3 down. Nice work from Logue.

Top 2
      Kentucky 0
      NC State 0
      Doc -
      Easy inning for Logue. Sits them down in order
      snoopcat -
      Is Logue normally a reliever?
      Doc -
      There we go
      Darrell KSR -
      If my count is right, it was 12 pitches for Logue. He's been terrific for 3-inning stretches at a time, and somehow seems to start losing it a little when his pitch count gets into the 60's and up, but that's just a ballpark guess. I think Mingione will treat this as a regular start for Logue and let him go as long as he is effective, even if that was 90+ pitches.

Becker leads off the 2nd. Hits a 2-2 pitch into right field, not well hit, and flies out.

Mahan swings at ball two, and instead of 2-1, it's 1-2. We've swung at 3 pitches well outside the zone, settle down Cats. Ball up in the zone, and Mahan does a super job of hitting right back through the middle for the Cats' first base hit. That's Mahan's 10th base hit in the Regionals. Wow. He was 0-16 coming into the regionals from his previous four games.

Kole Cottam up, and he's 15-for-his-last-31. Make it an even .500, Kole. Nope, swings through a high fastball and it's a strikeout.

Two outs for Tyler Marshall, and I would not object to a long two-out rally with a bunch of runs. The 1-1 pitch is thrown over the catcher back to the backstop, and Mahan scoots to 2nd. Curve high, almost a strike, but you know what they call almost a strike? Ball three. Ball grounded to 1st, tosses to the pitcher and no damage done.

Bottom 2
      Kentucky 0
      NC State 0
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
      Is Logue normally a reliever?
      No, he was Kentucky's Saturday starter throughout the SEC, but by the end of the season, you could tell he was behind Zach Thompson. So in the SEC tournament, they threw him in the bullpen, maximizing his ability to get you 3-4 terrific innings, and continued that Saturday here.

So he's used to starting, but if Kentucky survives, I wouldn't be surprised if he does not get one of the 3 possible starts against Louisville in Super Regionals.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quick scorekeeping note--they gave the NCSU catcher a passed ball, rather than a wild pitch.

First pitch, and it's hit high off the right field wall, just missed a home run, fires to 2nd and almost gets him at 2nd, but it's a leadoff double.

Bloop to 2nd, Mahan catches, out # 1. Did not advance the runner, good unproductive out.

Nice job of working the batter, and gets him to chase a high and tight fastball he had no chance with, strikeout, out # 2.

Gorgeous curve that painted the plate, and missed...I don't know. Low? Outside? Good pitch, but a ball. Another curve, misses a little worse this time, and it was a ball. 2-0, and throws another curve (this batter is a left-hander), and it's perfect, 2-1. Has him set up for a fastball, and throws it past him even though he was looking for it, and it's 2-2. Fastball, and it's 2-0, NC State with a home run.

Crap.
      Doc -
      Was a strike away from.getting out of the inning
      Darrell KSR -
      Well, part of me was thinking, "let's get the scoring going," as I think Kentucky will give up runs tonight, and will need to outscore them, so our bats don't need to get into that mindset where they're not needed yet. They are needed.

I was hoping it would hit the big blue wall, but it rocketed over it.

Note--both hits--and both could have been home runs--were from left-handed hitters.

There's a 370' fly ball, but it's to center field where it needs 20 more feet to make the wall, and out # 3.

Top 3
      Kentucky 0
      NC State 2
      Darrell KSR -
      Auburn trailing FSU 7-0 in the bottom of the 9th. They really did just run out of pitching, and FSU, like my friend said, is a "lottery state," and they "always have pitching."
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Was a strike away from.getting out of the inning
      Sure was. I wonder if it would have been different had that first pitch been called a strike. But that's baseball.
      MickintheHam -
      Trying to juggle the Reds, the Preds and the Cats tonight. Fortunately, the Reds have won, the Preds are crushing it and Logue is on the mound. 2 outta 3 is not what I want!
      Darrell KSR -
      Carson leads off, and strikes out for out # 1. I hate to feel this way, but I feel like we need to get at least one back this inning. Heady at the plate, takes four pitches, all balls, and we have a baserunner.

Pompey and White about to see Piedmonte for a second time. Pompey takes one pitch, now two, both balls. Six straight balls. Generous strike--probably was, but it was inside black, and could've been a ball, and it's 2-1, hitter's pitch. Takes a massive swing, lifts his head, and misses the ball by a foot, 2-2. Not a foot, probably an inch, but looked like it. Full count, Heady going and grounded to 2nd, and that's out # 2.

Cats need to start this two-out, runner in scoring position, bring him home pattern tonight. We may need a lot of it.

Evan White up, 3-0, they won't give him a pitch to hit, walks him. Two on, two out, and Reks up. Grounded fall, and hopefully he'll get a better swing and better contact on the next one. Fouls one back, and he's in a hole, 0-2, and I'm hoping the pitcher makes a mistake. We're so amped, I hope the pitch is in the zone.

It is, Reks ropes it, but the center fielder runs 40 feet, and makes a diving catch, or else that game would've been tied.

Bottom 3
      Kentucky 0
      NCSU 2
      Darrell KSR -
      Folks, that play from the center fielder was a "winning play," and really a back breaker. I know it's early, but man, you hate to see this.

The pitcher for NC State is a normal starter, he is well-rested, can probably go 100 pitches, and not making too many dumb pitches. Not really impressed with what he has, we have hit the ball hard, but sometimes that's ok. And it's always ok if it's always at someone.
      Darrell KSR -
      We're still going to have to score to win this game, and probably a good number.

Logue at 29 pitches through 2 innings.

Very easy, 3 up, 3 down for Logue, and it was about 5 or 6 pitches. Very efficient.

Top 4
      Kentucky 0
      NCSU 2
      CitizenBBN -
      Everyone have a hot date or something?

I got iheart working, which is probably on a delay of about an hour and a half, but a UK guy was just hit in the back. No fight, but sounds like some attitude.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post