Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• EYBL musings

By: RON "DOC" BALL

As most know I'm in the peach city (Atlanta) this weekend for the third round of the Nike eybl. I posted some stuff on my Facebook last night but will update here while between sessions, while sippin a few cold Buds and eating some Buffalo Wild Wing Nachos (and juicing my phone)

Not going to do big write ups, just more train of thought.

First, Bol Bol, didn't plays last night but did today. If we offered he needs to grab it. He likes to shoot from the perimeter a bit too much, and when your shot starts at your naval its a bit of an issue. Also, like nearly all 7 foot plus players, he does not run the court end to end particularly well. I get the mechanics and understand they are hauling more than a 6-2 guard but I'd love to see a big hustle up and down the floor consistently. However what he does have is very good hands. Most guys his height have palm fronds for hands but he actually has a good set. Calipari is good at getting big men with great hands like Davis and Stein. Bols are not that good but they are one of his best qualities. He has good timing and does not commit. Lots to like but also lots to develop.

Emmitt Williams is my favorite player in the class. I'd kill to have Cal on him. I avoid over used phases like high motor because then when you actually have a kid like this you have no means to describe him. He is Cheike Diallo with skills. He is an absolute beast who gets off the floor so quick. As good as any PF in the class, bar none

Javonte Smart is a big solid point. Remind me of Cliff Hawkins in build and style of game. Not super quick like Wall or Fox, he is a different type of point. I like him though

Can Reddish looks bigger, stronger. Is a powerful looking SG/SF and at 6-8 odds are he is going to play the forward spot. He looked better thus far this weekend than he did last December.

Louis King is a player I like. Teamed with Reddish, this NYC kid has a nice game. UL has offered. Is a nice looking SF who moves well both inside and out.

Marvin Bagley, didn't watch a lot because I've seen a lot but while he might be the top player in the class, its not like I couldn't see several players challenge him for the top ranking.

Trendon Watford, 2019 kid some don't want due to family relation. Screw that. The kid can play. I came with a preconceived notion to not like him. That lasted 2 minutes. 6-9 who can shoot and rebound, what's to not like?????

Vernon Carey Jr, also 2019, is a small version of Boogie in so many ways. Similar game and similar frame. 6-10 and 245# who shoot the three..... them after getting called for a foul yelled "yuck" (sort of) and got T'ed up. However I would take that as an exception. He did not react to numerous hacks and cheap shots by Chandler Lawson, the last part was more in jest. Carey is the second ranked player in the class behind Barrett. I'd question that as I like him better

Speaking of Barrett, watched a short bit this morning. In a half he did fine but nothing spectacular. He must have notched it up after I left because he finished the game with 41 (I left to see Bol). I'll watch this afternoon or tomorrow

Shareff O'Neal is a good play. Such a packed PF class though that we will do better. Its cool though because his dad is he and sitting in the stand with the fans, like with the fans. Its an interesting contrast with Jordan. When MJs kids were playing his airness came, they closed 1/2 the arena and rope off sections, surrounded him with body guards etc..... Shaq in the meantime is glad handing anybody and everybody
    Comments 41 Comments
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
      Loved your observation regarding Shaq and Jordan. Not surprising at all, I just hadn't thought of the contrast. Spot on.
      To use a farm term, Shaq is gregarious while Jordan seems elitist
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Doc, did you see Zion Harmon play? I think he's running with Boo Williams out of VA. Kid was youngest to ever play EYBL last year as a 7th grader. Led Bowling Green to KY state title this year as an 8th grader. If you saw him, what are your impressions?
      Doc -
      I'm watching Gerald Liddell now. UK has shown some interest in this SF out TX so i want to get watch a bit. He is playing Riddish's team so good match up to get a feel.

Harmon is on roster. Didnt play in the one BW game I watched
      Doc -
      Take that back, Harmon did play. Had the 0-fer though. 0 for 6. Had 4 pts, all from the line. I didn't pay much attention to BW as I was focused other opponent which had Carey and Watford
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Take that back, Harmon did play. Had the 0-fer though. 0 for 6. Had 4 pts, all from the line. I didn't pay much attention to BW as I was focused other opponent which had Carey and Watford
      Thanks for the update. Harmon was really good in BWs other game so far. 20 points, 4 rebs and 4 assists although I'm not sure how good the competition was.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Oh, and Hamidou Diallo isn't here
      But Michael Porter Jr was. Saw him this morning, assuming to watch his brother. Jontay looks much slimmer and improved. Expect him to move up the rankings
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
      Loved your observation regarding Shaq and Jordan. Not surprising at all, I just hadn't thought of the contrast. Spot on.
      Shaq may have more protection if he went through what Jordan did with his father's murder.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      Shaq may have more protection if he went through what Jordan did with his father's murder.
      I'm betting MJ was that way long before his dad was killed, and that murder was apparently unrelated to his status. But yes things like that will no doubt heighten your concerns about security, and that I completely understand.

Personally i'd like to think I'd fall in the middle. Maybe not zone off a whole section just for me, that's pompous, but even if I'm in the stands I might have 1-2 disguised security guys there just in case. I'd also be carrying myself of course.

In fact I'm betting Shaq may have had someone there, just not someone too obvious.
      CitizenBBN -
      Great updates Doc. Really appreciate your observations and insights.
      Doc -
      Qne can chose to live a protected, cloistered life if one desires. I'm sure over the years O'Neal has had had run ins with crazy fans, probably even violent ones. I suspect he would rather live a life among the people because he takes joy in interacting with his fans. You can see it and it not something you can fake
      Doc -
      Its funny, I'm sitting in the airport bar and the bartender is a former AAU player who played HS ball with Jodie Meeks!
      dan_bgblue -
      Doc, thank you a bunch for your reports. They were excellent as usual
      Padukacat -
      Thanks, this really helps me continue to paint my picture of next years recruits. Idk why but I fell in love w reddish on the first mixtape. I hope I get to see him this fall!
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      Thanks, this really helps me continue to paint my picture of next years recruits. Idk why but I fell in love w reddish on the first mixtape. I hope I get to see him this fall!
      I'm liking him more and more. He is physically maturing. At his size he is nearly impossible for opposing guards to stop. He is just too big.
      catmanjack -
      Is reddish a UK option? Or all Duke?
      patrick54 -
      Doc, it seems UK's primary point guard targets are Quickly and Smart. Before this Spring's AAU, they were among the top 3-4 PGs in the class, unanimous top 20 players.

I'm wondering if you think they will stay that high based on how they have played or if other guards, like Tre Jones, will pass them up.
      catmanjack -
      Might not be as easy to pull a top PG with Green back.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by patrick54 View Post
      Doc, it seems UK's primary point guard targets are Quickly and Smart. Before this Spring's AAU, they were among the top 3-4 PGs in the class, unanimous top 20 players.

I'm wondering if you think they will stay that high based on how they have played or if other guards, like Tre Jones, will pass them up.
      I was more in the Quickly camp but now leaning more to the Smart camp. Jovanta looked real good. I'd definitely have both in the top 20, and do so easily. Smart was one of the players I was most impressed with.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Agree which I assume is why we have not offered yet. Smart is a lot like Bledsoe. Strong lead guard who can shoot well. Confident kid for sure. I'm sure Cal can convince him that if anybody can play multiple PG's, it's sort of normal at UK
      Doc -
      Is reddish a UK option? Or all Duke?
      My gut says Duke.
      Edward100 -
      Sounds like money in the bank.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post