Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• EYBL musings

By: RON "DOC" BALL

As most know I'm in the peach city (Atlanta) this weekend for the third round of the Nike eybl. I posted some stuff on my Facebook last night but will update here while between sessions, while sippin a few cold Buds and eating some Buffalo Wild Wing Nachos (and juicing my phone)

Not going to do big write ups, just more train of thought.

First, Bol Bol, didn't plays last night but did today. If we offered he needs to grab it. He likes to shoot from the perimeter a bit too much, and when your shot starts at your naval its a bit of an issue. Also, like nearly all 7 foot plus players, he does not run the court end to end particularly well. I get the mechanics and understand they are hauling more than a 6-2 guard but I'd love to see a big hustle up and down the floor consistently. However what he does have is very good hands. Most guys his height have palm fronds for hands but he actually has a good set. Calipari is good at getting big men with great hands like Davis and Stein. Bols are not that good but they are one of his best qualities. He has good timing and does not commit. Lots to like but also lots to develop.

Emmitt Williams is my favorite player in the class. I'd kill to have Cal on him. I avoid over used phases like high motor because then when you actually have a kid like this you have no means to describe him. He is Cheike Diallo with skills. He is an absolute beast who gets off the floor so quick. As good as any PF in the class, bar none

Javonte Smart is a big solid point. Remind me of Cliff Hawkins in build and style of game. Not super quick like Wall or Fox, he is a different type of point. I like him though

Can Reddish looks bigger, stronger. Is a powerful looking SG/SF and at 6-8 odds are he is going to play the forward spot. He looked better thus far this weekend than he did last December.

Louis King is a player I like. Teamed with Reddish, this NYC kid has a nice game. UL has offered. Is a nice looking SF who moves well both inside and out.

Marvin Bagley, didn't watch a lot because I've seen a lot but while he might be the top player in the class, its not like I couldn't see several players challenge him for the top ranking.

Trendon Watford, 2019 kid some don't want due to family relation. Screw that. The kid can play. I came with a preconceived notion to not like him. That lasted 2 minutes. 6-9 who can shoot and rebound, what's to not like?????

Vernon Carey Jr, also 2019, is a small version of Boogie in so many ways. Similar game and similar frame. 6-10 and 245# who shoot the three..... them after getting called for a foul yelled "yuck" (sort of) and got T'ed up. However I would take that as an exception. He did not react to numerous hacks and cheap shots by Chandler Lawson, the last part was more in jest. Carey is the second ranked player in the class behind Barrett. I'd question that as I like him better

Speaking of Barrett, watched a short bit this morning. In a half he did fine but nothing spectacular. He must have notched it up after I left because he finished the game with 41 (I left to see Bol). I'll watch this afternoon or tomorrow

Shareff O'Neal is a good play. Such a packed PF class though that we will do better. Its cool though because his dad is he and sitting in the stand with the fans, like with the fans. Its an interesting contrast with Jordan. When MJs kids were playing his airness came, they closed 1/2 the arena and rope off sections, surrounded him with body guards etc..... Shaq in the meantime is glad handing anybody and everybody
    Comments 41 Comments
      Doc -
      PS, my typing sux
      UKFlounder -
      But good reporting, which is what matters

On Bagley I've heard others say he is clearly the best player in the class, and msybe the best high schooler for the last several years. It sounds like you are not quite as high on him, or am I misunderstanding your post?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      PS, my typing sux
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Doc, you are a superstar.....thanks for the details....a feast for us recruiting junkies
      Doc -
      You can see game stats at www.nikeeyb.com

Click on games
      Edward100 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
      Doc, you are a superstar.....thanks for the details....a feast for us recruiting junkies
      No doubt about it.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      But good reporting, which is what matters

On Bag,Ryan, I've heard others say he is clearly the best player in the class, and msybe the best high schooler for the last several years. It sounds like you are not quite as high on him, or am I misunderstanding your post?
      You understand correct. He is a great player. I just think there are other as good.
      Philly Cat -
      Thanks, Doc. I'm all-in on Cam Reddish, and I thought your comment about him playing forward was interesting. I saw him in a HS game this year (granted, only one game), and he was the primary ball-handler against pressure D... and that was with Arizona-bound PG Brandon Randolph on the same team. It made me wonder whethet Reddish was grooming himself (or being groomed) for a point-forward or 2G role in college. Curious if you're able to pick up any intel on his college position.

Toward that end, Cal might have an advantage if Reddish waits and sees how Kevin Knox is used/developed... hopefully seen through reports from Reddish's HS teammate, Mo Bamba.
      Doc -
      Reddish is being used at the 2 and Louis King at the 3. Reddish has excellent bulk to go with his height. Reminds me of Justice Winslow. He definitely has SG skills though
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Doc, great stuff--also on the KSR front page now. Much appreciated; you're the best.
      Doc -
      Oh, and Hamidou Diallo isn't here
      Darrell KSR -
      Oh, and Hamidou Diallo isn't here
      Then you posted in the wrong forum.

This is the "All-Diallo, All the Time" Channel.
      Doc -
      Getting ready to watch Smart vs Bol. Only seen each once so it will be a good second opinion. Later its Garland, who I've seen several times, vs Barrett. I'll watch that game in its entirety
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Then you posted in the wrong forum.

This is the "All-Diallo, All the Time" Channel.
      I think you and the other Darrell have seen Watford, right? Your impressions?

Mine is he tends to handle the ball too much and it leads to turn overs. Correctable fault. Can shoot, excellent frame. Can play a 3 or 4.
      Darrell KSR -
      I think you and the other Darrell have seen Watford, right? Your impressions?

Mine is he tends to handle the ball too much and it leads to turn overs. Correctable fault. Can shoot, excellent frame. Can play a 3 or 4.
      Good player, haven't seen him in AAU settings. Alabama high school is hit or miss. Seemed like a talented kid, passes the eye test.
      patrick54 -
      Thanks for this write up Doc.

Javonte Smart seems a lot like Andrew Harrison. Big, able to attack but not overly athletic. Fair comparison?

As to Bol, when I watch the vids he seems awkward yet all the reports of him are that he is dominant and moving toward likely top 3-4 player in the class.
      wes011 -
      I'm pretty sure Shaq is his own body guard.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by wes011 View Post
      I'm pretty sure Shaq is his own body guard.
      He does but the guy is taking pictures of kids with Shaq. O'Neal is literally sitting in the bleachers. Chris Paul did the same last year. Jordan on the other hand took a different approach. Imo same magnitude of star, different approach
      badrose -
      Loved your observation regarding Shaq and Jordan. Not surprising at all, I just hadn't thought of the contrast. Spot on.
      Doc -
      Getting ready to watch Bol / O'Neal again. This time they are going against size. The Family has a 6-8 250# and a 6-10 290# front line so will be telling to see how Bol hold position against mass. I'll probably catch 1/2 thus game as I want to see some of Come Anthony who is playing one court over
      Doc -
      He does but the guy is taking pictures of kids with Shaq. O'Neal is literally sitting in the bleachers. Chris Paul did the same last year. Jordan on the other hand took a different approach. Imo same magnitude of star, different approach
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post