Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Washington prepared for Kentucky, future

By LARRY VAUGHT

Sherry Washington is very proud of what her son, Kentucky signee P.J. Washington, has done to get himself in position to play at UK.

“He set out and wrote his goals down, which is hard to get a teen-age boy to do. He has accomplished those goals. I was just telling him a few weeks ago that now I need you to make a new set of goals,” Sherry Washington said. “Obviously writing them down and having that vision makes you work harder. I don’t want him to think he has made it.”

Sherry Washington, an assistant high school basketball coach in Las Vegas, tried to let her son and her husband — Paul who coached P.J. at Findlay Prep in Las Vegas -- weigh his college options.

“I tried to stay out of it a lot. I let him and his dad do most of that. My biggest thing was that was it was his decision. He is the one who has to get out there and run and listen to the coach,” she said. “I know it was hard, but we really had to sit back and support him no matter what. But I am excited. I can’t wait for next year.”

His father, a former college player, has worked with P.J. on a variety of things, including his perimeter shooting. But he has plenty of other skills to make him one of the most versatile players in the 2017 recruiting class. He led Findlay Prep, a national power, in scoring, rebounding and assists.

“He has a 7-2 wingspan and is really a tough kid. He goes after those loose balls and once he gets it, you do not take it out of his hands,” Paul Washington said. “Put a taller kid on him and he goes by them. He leads our team in assists. He has really good court vision and instincts with the ball.”

Because P.J. Washington did so much for his team, his father tried to make sure he did not wear him out and looked for ways to rest him.

“He is the kind of kid that has a lot of energy, so we had to make sure we get him some rest. We had to strategically pick times to ease up. Toward the end of the season I would give him a couple of days at a time to sit out in practice and rest his body because he gives you so much when that ball goes up,” Paul Washington said.
    Comments 30 Comments
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      It will be hard to keep he and Vanderbilt out of the starting lineup at the 3 and 4 spots. They bring a lotto the table with their ability to do a lot of different things offensively, plus both rebound and defend. Cal loves guys who rebound and defend.
      exactly.
      CitizenBBN -
      I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say Cal won't be sleeping on the couch any if Diallo goes and we miss on Johnson.
      Doc -
      If Diallo stays in the draft and we do not get Johnson then SGA will start at the two.
      The problem with that is then there is no depth at the guard spot. You have no substitute PG or SG. Alexander could be the depth for both but can't be the depth for both and start. IMO you have to create it and the most logical would be Vanderbilt to the 2. Not saying that would happen but he has the most SG skills.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      The problem with that is then there is no depth at the guard spot. You have no substitute PG or SG. Alexander could be the depth for both but can't be the depth for both and start. IMO you have to create it and the most logical would be Vanderbilt to the 2. Not saying that would happen but he has the most SG skills.
      Cal may have to sub like he did in 2012 at the guard spots, where the depth was primarily Teague and Lamb. Lamb was Teague's sub at the point and Miller came in at the guard spot.

Jamarl Baker is the wildcard in the backcourt, no one really knows what to expect from him other than he can shoot the ball.
      jazyd -
      Cal may have to sub like he did in 2012 at the guard spots, where the depth was primarily Teague and Lamb. Lamb was Teague's sub at the point and Miller came in at the guard spot.

Jamarl Baker is the wildcard in the backcourt, no one really knows what to expect from him other than he can shoot the ball.
      worked pretty well
      Doc -

I forgot about Baker
      dan_bgblue -
      Me too
      UKRxman93 -
      Assuming HD stays in the draft, let's hope Baker is more able to contribute sooner than first thought. I'd forgotten about him too.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      Wow, me too! That's what happens when you get an embarrassment of riches!
      kingcat -
      I really like Baker
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post