Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• BANG! JUCO Star outfielder Ryan Johnson commits to Kentucky

Kid has already been to the CWS as a freshman at TCU, and was a two-time Under Armour All-American in high school. He's batting .311 with six home runs, 27 RBIs in 40 games at San Jacinto (Texas). Could step in for Reks or Carson next year as a starter.

San Jacinto is a powerhouse JUCO, having won 5 National Championships, and 9 times runner-up, with 24 JUCO World Series trips--all records.

Apparently we're going to see "BANG!" as the UK baseball version of "Yahtzee," as this is what Roland Fanning, Kentucky recruiting coordinator, tweeted a couple of hours ago today. OK, so he's used it before for non-recruiting news (UK's triple play, for example). I still think it would be cooler just to save it for recruiting news.

Comments 13 Comments
      blueboss -
      When I first saw the post I saw Johnson and thought we got the basketball version of Johnson.

Now maybe we can have Johnson & Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
      When I first saw the post I saw Johnson and thought we got the basketball version of Johnson.

Now maybe we can have Johnson & Johnson.

Cam, and Stephen, and Ryan....
      UKFlounder -
      Is he eligible for the draft?
      blueboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Cam, and Stephen, and Ryan....
      That's a whole lot of Johnsons

Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      Is he eligible for the draft?
      I don't think so. He will be a junior next year. Transferred after his freshman year at TCU and is playing his sophomore year now.
      UKFlounder -
      Thanks. I didn't know if there was a different rule for JUCOs

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I don't think so. He will be a junior next year. Transferred after his freshman year at TCU and is playing his sophomore year now.
      Darrell KSR -
      Well, I didn't answer your question. I just said I didn't think so. There are all kind of rules, and I should know them, but I don't. I also don't know if he has been drafted out of high school. I THINK that would impact his eligiblity. If he had never been drafted, then he could be draft-eligible after "graduating" from JUCO, but not sure of that, either.

I'll look up the rules at some point, because I need to know them.
      Darrell KSR -
      Don't take this as Gospel, since I just did the quickest of looking, but this would seem to indicate he'd be eligible. See # 4.

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3551

First-Year Player Draft (MLB Rule 4 Draft) Eligibility

Post to Twitter
      An individual is eligible for selection in the First-Year Player Draft (Rule 4 Draft) if the person has not previously signed an MLB or minor league contract, and is either a resident of a U. S. state or territory or Canada, or is not a resident but was enrolled in a high school or college in a U. S. state or territory or Canada within the previous year, and...

1. Has graduated from high school; or

2. High school athletic eligibility has expired; or

3. Dropped out of high school at least 365 days prior to the draft; or

4. Attended a junior college the previous school year; or

5. Is attending a four-year college and has completed at least junior year of athletic eligibility, or

6. Is attending a four-year college and is age 21 or older (or will turn 21 within 45 days of the draft); or

7. Is attending a four-year college and the school has no baseball program, or

8. Was dismissed from a four-year college for academic reasons; or

9. Withdrew from a four-year college at least 120 days prior to the draft

A club is not permitted to select a player in the Rule 4 Draft two years in a row, unless the player gives his approval in advance.

A high school player eligible for selection may elect (in advance) to have his name removed from draft eligibility in that particular Rule 4 Draft.
      UKFlounder -
      Bryce Harper had found some way to be draft eligible after playing one year if Juco instead of 3 years at a 4-year school, but I did not know if that rule still existed. It seems like it may - I appreciate your quick resesrch
      dan_bgblue -
      Perfect Game was really high on him out of high school

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/...aspx?ID=353740
      catmanjack -
      I seem to remember Alex Fernandez starting at Miami 1 year and transferring to a Juco so he could get drafted after 2 years. Not sure how that worked out though and that was awhile ago.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
      That's a whole lot of Johnsons

Going to whistle right past the obvious joke and move on to...

Should we worried they'll send in Mongo to run them all out?
      MickintheHam -
      For years under Madison and Cohen players who couldn't start were encouraged to go to two year colleges and then transfer in. The thinking was that a freshman at most majors would just sit and get no playing time. By going to Jucos they would learn the game and gain experience. Playing at a Juco, a player once he completed the two year assignment would come into the D1 program just as though he had played two years at the D1 school. Immediately eligible. They are eligible for the draft after their junior year. The kids who were sent to Jucos were regarded as not likely to play their first two years and the likelihood of being drafted high after their junior year was small. These were all very friendly moves. The D1 coaches and Juco coaches were buddy buddy and generally took care of each other. It was almost like a farm system as a D1 coach would limit himself to just 3 or 4 Jucos.
  • KSR Twitter Feed