Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Vince Marrow’s Recruiting Work Will Start to Show Up Friday

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Recruiting coordinator Vince Marrow as it has been said is the most important recruit Stoops has corralled since he’s been here. When Jim Harbaugh got the job at the University of Michigan he came hard after Marrow. At the 2016 pre-season Big Blue Bash Marrow’s wife in conversation said “We really love it here and would like to stay here……………” the Cats proceeded to put together a winning season and a bowl game.

How have times changed since the U of L game? “You’ve been through it, when we first got here,” Marrow reflecting back on the past, said. “It was hit and miss and didn’t have enough depth. Now going into year five we have pretty much depth across the board and that’s a product of recruiting. And a product of coaching and building depth in our room. It’s good to see, if a guy goes down you’ve got another guy to put in, and if that guy goes down you’ve got another to put in. That’s when you know you got a team that can compete in the SEC.”

What did the U of L game do for this program? “It’s like anything else, when you are that kid that’s getting bullied and finally punch him in the mouth and everybody respects you. That’s how it was after that game.” He said they were beating the Cardinals in some recruiting battle and now it’s showing up on the field.

Sometimes it’s addition by subtraction in certain situations and C. J. Conrad is one of those situations. It has allowed sophomore Justin Rigg to get on the field much more as he splits reps with Greg Hart. The coach said of Rigg – “He’s a very big kid 6-foot-6, 250-pounds. He was making a lot of progress if fall camp until he had that some kind of motorcycle or some kind of cycle accident. C. J. being out has really benefitted this kid because he has soft hands and can stretch the field. We can really run behind him because he a very good in-line blocker. It’s like having another offensive lineman in there so it was a real benefit for him.”

The restructuring of the offense visibly created some undercurrent discontent because they were not getting the ball as regular as they (receivers) wanted. “I told the receivers when you have a boom Williams and a Benny Snell the defense has to put men in the box and created more one-on-one situations,” Marrow said. “We are going to do what benefits us if we have to put thirteen and three tight ends out there that’s what Eddie’s (Gran) going to do.”

Telling Marrow what was said about Snell by Chris Westry who said “that guy runs the ball like somebody hit his mom.” Marrow said – “Recruiting Benny, you’ve got to know Benny. He is a competitive guy. He a mean (expletive) dude. He don’t care if it’s his little sister or his mom over there and in this league you need a dude like that.” The coach said it’s not an act. I have to tone him down – coach Gran has to tone him down. “We can be in meetings and something’s not right he’s mad about it. Benny is trying to be more of a leader in the vane of what Maurice Clarett was for Ohio State. Maurice knew what he was going to do but he also knew everybody else was doing and Benny’s trying to take it to that level. They (offensive line) loves him because they know he’s going 110 percent all the time.”

We ask Snell what the coaches mean when they say that sometimes they have to ‘pull you back?’ Snell said – “I get fired up a lot when I mess up and get down on myself. When sometimes a coach is coming at them in a certain way they don’t understand but when I come at them it’s different and they are a lot more receptive.

One of the things on display Friday night will be what the cast of running backs looks like. The coach’s already describe A. J. Rose as very fast and Sihiem King as a guy you can’t tackle in a phone booth. So somewhere in the season the BBN may being relating the cadre as “Benny and the Jets” by the Beastie Boys.” How catchy would that be?

Marrow said on 2016 media day that the Coach Darin Hinshaw hire was one of the greatest hires he’s seen.
    Comments 3 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Thank you Lonny. Lots of really good info there. Any idea when Conrad will be able to return? I love watching him play.

Thanks
      +1
      Terry Blue -
      Some of the guys I m looking forward to watching tomorrow include. Rose, Hoak, Thomas, Elam, Riggs, West
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Some of the guys I m looking forward to watching tomorrow include. Rose, Hoak, Thomas, Elam, Riggs, West
      Good list.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post