Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Derrick LeBlanc said Nine Months and the Baby is Born

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Even though in recent times a lot more emphasis is put on scoring points in the game of football. At the end of the day the defense separates the grown ups and the grown up wanna-Be's. As in any good defense, it all starts up front. Coach Derrick Leblanc in an interview volunteered the name of Matt Elam so now the focus on the big guy is reborn.

When Matt Elam was born he was the largest baby in the neonatal unit of the hospital. He grew into the largest player on most football fields. Elam came to UK as a very hyped player. Yours truly was in attendance at the presser held at John Hardin High School when Elam made his commitment to the University of Kentucky. In attendance also were two University of Alabama assistants. Having said this the young came to UK with high expectations.

We get the appearance from previous coach's that when discussing his production there was a form of protection put on the youngster's image. Then perhaps the right buttons weren't being pushed to get the most out of him. Now like many seniors we have observed in the program some of them blossom into productive players. The task in reaching Elam is now assigned to a new face for him in the form of coach LeBlanc.

Today's practice was one the coach said he is eager to review the film. He used the word 'breakthrough' in describing his defensive line and attached the phrase, 'even Matt (Elam).' “LeBlanc said - “I'm pleased so far.” He said it's consistency of setting the standard and how you want to practice and what you want to do when you step on the field and the results you want to get. He said - “Coaching is just teaching. I think we are getting there and we got a long way to go and we are getting better.” The coach singled out Adrian Middleton which speaking of consistency, it seems to be there. Also singled out was Naquez Pringle. “He had one of those practice we hadn't seen before.” Of the aforementioned he said Elam is getting better and the said it's his responsibility to get him better.

What was the message to Elam? “Pretty generic and what I tell all my guys,” the coach stated. The stars don't matter, the hype don't matter. If the hype is there you definitely have to match it and if don't match it you have under achieved. “He has nine months left. Either he's going to under achieve or he's going to show everybody is what we thing he is and I think he is that.

LeBlanc said he he told Elam - “You're the biggest guy out there and people are going to notice you whether it's good or bad so why not let it be good. Whether it's a exceptional play or a bad play people are going to notice you. We had a talk yesterday that I thought was really good and I think he hears what I'm saying. His intensity level has got to go up. It's that time and my job to get him to do it.

The coach was asked is it pressure to get a guy to perform and the coach said, not really. A kid had fun pushing people around in high school and when they get to college a whole another perspective is put on it in that it's now a business. He said you got to find way to put the fun back in it. The coach said - “There's always a reality check when you get here. Everything is structured; class, study, practice eating the weight room and some kids don't adjust well.” LeBlanc said we all fall off that horse but we have to get back up on it.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post