Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Practice Notes on 4/4/17

By: LONNY DEMAREE

On the Quarterbacks

Drew Barker is coming back to his old self in starting to get the rust off. Darin Hinshaw said there is a lot of side to side, back to back, up and down movement that as a quarterback he has to make. "When you fall off the horse you've got to eventually get back on," Hinshaw said. "Another thing is with a back injury there's scar tissue that has to break up and it takes time. And it's a different type of scar tissue."

Stephen Johnson: "Stephen's (Johnson) playing at a real high level," the coach said. He said it's the little things we continue to work on so he can get better and better and better to the level of perfect. You can never get there but you have to work toward it. Anybody associated with the football side in the BBN understands there seldom has been a time when there has been quality backup quarterbacks in the program. Example: In 2,010 the starting quarterback was Mike Hartline and in preparation for the BBVA Compass Bowl game, 10 days before the game he was dismissed from the team. Morgan Newton having taken zero snaps for the entire season was thrown into the fire. Everyone knows the results of that. Eddie Gran said they cannot get through the season without quarterback depth. Hinshaw said Gunnar Hoak is really coming along.

Darin Hinshaw
    Hinshaw talked about how please he is with the long contract and that they plan to be here a long time - he said knows his kid are looking forward to being here.

Eddie Gran
    When we throw and catch - throw a perfect hitch-route that's wide open and they drop the ball - throw to fast or not on time - take the right step up front - he said when those things become consistent they have a chance to be really, really, special on offense. He said they did that in Saturday's scrimmage but he said they have to be consistent. Question was asked what specifically he mean by special? He talked about all the aforementioned. The question was asked of Gran about the conversations you have with the quarterbacks about playing time? He said you talk to them about competing with the understanding that quarterbacks are need to get through a season and when their time comes you have to step up. He said, just like Stephen Johnson did last season.

Benny Snell is one the coach say has to have that whoa applied to slow down his giddy up. "I'm just so passionate about the game," Snell the ebullient said. "I'm a perfectionist and I want to do everything right. When make a bad play I'm hard on myself. I've got to try to be less frustrated with myself when I make a mistake." Stoops when said Snell gets tackle he gets upset. I told him "You are going to get tackled in this game of football. "It's just those things when you are one man away from break a big one and that one man bring me down by a shoelace or clipped heal." We asked Snell where is right now as opposed to when he first go here? He said - "I feel like I'm faster - I way faster now than last year - I'm working on my speed cuts and my vertical (speed down field) - my strength and conditioning if feel like I'm faster and stronger.

Dorian Baker on Drew Barker: He was balling out there. He said he had a back injury in high school and it's tough coming back. It's a mental thing as well as a physical thing he said. He said said they came in together but this is college ball and things are going to happen and only the tough survive. He said he had a very frustrating year of 2016 battling his hamstring injury. There was noise that he was sloughing off helping his teammates but he and coach Lamar Thomas talk about those things. Gran said Baker loves the game and coming to practice. Look for this guy to come up big in 2017. Gran said Barker is another one you don't have to question his giddyup.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post