Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Barker playing like the old Drew Barker

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky quarterbacks coach Darrin Hinshaw emphasized again Tuesday just how pleased he is with the way quarterback Drew Barker is coming back from offseason back surgery.

He led the offense to a score in his first series in Saturday's scrimmage.

"Really proud of that. He’s starting to get a little bit of the rust off, if you know what I mean. He’s really coming along," Hinshaw said.

He said returning starting quarterback Stephen Johnson is playing at a "very high level" in spring practice.

"I’ve got to continue to coach him for the little things now so he can continue to get better, and better and better so he can be perfect," Hinshaw said.

He also praised redshirt freshman quarterback Gunnar Hoak is playing well.

"The whole offense in general now is really clicking. We’ve got to continue to take it to another level because the defense is getting better and better and coming after us," Hinshaw said.

Barker, who was not available to the media Tuesday but seemed in a jovial mood as he left practice, may have surprised himself with how well he did in the scrimmage based on what Hinshaw said.

"He played really, really well. He played like the old Drew Barker. And in practices it hasn’t been that way because I’m trying to throw him in here and there. The other thing too, with the back injury, the scar tissue has to break up. It takes time. It’s a different type of scar tissue," Hinshaw said.

"Think about all the movements you do as a quarterback. All the different things we do — hand it off, up, down, sideways. It all affects the back area, so he’s finally getting into a comfort zone where the pain level, he’s able to throw. And the hardest thing was being able to just put that mustard on the ball and be able to get it from point A to point B, and he’s doing it now. It’s good to see a smile on his face.”
    Comments 21 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Think we have to remember that at this time last year Johnson was just an afterthought. What happens after a summer of conditioning and practice if Drew comes out and clearly out plays Stephen the way he did last year or Hoak does for that matter. I think this is why the staff doesn,t name Johnson the starter now
      Thedonnie123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Think we have to remember that at this time last year Johnson was just an afterthought. What happens after a summer of conditioning and practice if Drew comes out and clearly out plays Stephen the way he did last year or Hoak does for that matter. I think this is why the staff doesn,t name Johnson the starter now
      Johnson showed it when it matters. Practice All-Stars are great and all, but I want the guy who performs best when the bright lights are on.
      dan_bgblue -
      I suspect it is still a long way from being decided who takes the first snaps this coming season for UK. I have a personal favorite candidate, but I do not get to see practice or step in the huddle to listen during that same practice. Have to leave it up to the coaches to decide. Hopefully they make the right decision, as the reports sound like there are 3 viable candidates.
      kingcat -
      Go away from Johnson and lose a game you should win and the season and staff are toast, imo. The kid paid his dues on the field of play and delivered.

To go another direction the staff will have to be 100 percent sure a new guy will deliver in an even bigger way immediately and throughout the season.

There cannot be another QB controversy or mistake made at that position given Johnsons success.
      Just not going too happen unless he is injured imho. Write it down.
      Terry Blue -
      I expect Johnson to be the opening day starter but that inference about Barker being a good practice player only is unfair given the probability that Drew was hurt sometime during the second half of the first game. There is also an unwritten rule that you don,t lose your starting position due to injury. I guarantee you that Drew is not working so hard to come back thinking he doesn,t have a chance to be the starter
      Darrell KSR -
      Drew could be the starter. I hope we all support whoever the coaches choose.
      kingcat -
      I expect Johnson to be the opening day starter but that inference about Barker being a good practice player only is unfair given the probability that Drew was hurt sometime during the second half of the first game. There is also an unwritten rule that you don,t lose your starting position due to injury. I guarantee you that Drew is not working so hard to come back thinking he doesn,t have a chance to be the starter
      That's normally the case every year. Its an open competition and that's what leads to improvement by everyone. But I'm not wrong about Johnson having a clear advantage, even with all things being equal.
      I believe Johnson will be considered one of the top QB's in the SEC to start the season.

If he lives up to that, this is his team.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Drew could be the starter. I hope we all support whoever the coaches choose.
      They should both compete, the best man wins.

The problem is they are very different players, and it's hard to gear the offense to one and then change up if we have a change in QB. That's going to be the real problem, that if they don't pick one style or the other nothing in the offense will be set and finely tuned.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      They should both compete, the best man wins.

The problem is they are very different players, and it's hard to gear the offense to one and then change up if we have a change in QB. That's going to be the real problem, that if they don't pick one style or the other nothing in the offense will be set and finely tuned.
      Of course, that is an excellent point. Many very smart people believed that Kentucky's best opportunities presented itself with a quarterback who presented more of a run threat and ball-control offense last year. I believe they were right, but things can change in a year.
      Terry Blue -
      I,ll leave personnel decisions up to the staff as I believe in almost all cases they want to play the players giving them the best chance to win. Depends a lot on Johnson,s improvement and Barker,s health. We can,t stand double figure fumbles from the qb position or 20 pc passing completion rate in the red zone like last year
      Darrell KSR -
      I,ll leave personnel decisions up to the staff
      We can,t stand double figure fumbles from the qb position or 20 pc passing completion rate in the red zone like last year
      That lasted a long time LOL.
      CGWildcat -
      I have a preference for Johnson, based off play last year. I hope he's the starter. I also hope during some games, we see Barker come in and knock the rust off completely.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      That lasted a long time LOL.
      On a brighter note, the sun came up in the east this morning as well
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      On a brighter note, the sun came up in the east this morning as well
      Hahahaha. Worth logging on today for that laugh.
      suncat05 -
      It doesn't really matter who the QB is. I want to see the best player who gives us the best chance of winning leading the team.

We could have, should have won at least 9 games last year. I'm tired of seeing underachievement. But then, that seems to be our norm.
      Terry Blue -
      The post about fumbles and completion rate goes hand in hand with the comment on Johnson,s needed improvement. If that doesn,t happen then I,m quite sure the coach,s decision will be to start another qb
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      The "Old" Drew Barker looked like a deer in the headlights in starts during late 2015 including that 6-22 debacle against UL. He's played one good half of football since his arrival. If he's the starter I'll support him but Johnson would have to absolutely **** the bed to not start at this point IMO.
      Terry Blue -
      He was a rs frosh then with little help. Against UL both Boom and Jo Jo got hurt so UL could tee off on him. Last year in 20 pc of our offensive plays Johnson was a non factor because we played the Wildcat. Funny these things are somehow forgotten.
      wes011 -
      Terry - I understand what you are saying, but Johnson's arm helped beat Louisville.
      dan_bgblue -
      2016-2017 QB stats

GP/GS Johnson:12-9 Barker 3-3
      Efficiency: Johnson: 130.9 Barker: 136.8
      Comp/att/int Johnson: 145/256/6 Barker: 18/36/5
      PCT: Johnson: 54.7 Barker: 50.0
      TD Johnson: 14 barker: 4
      Yards Passing: Johnson: 2037 Barker 334
      Long pass: Johnson: 75 Barker: 72
      Passing Avg/game Johnson: 169.8 Barker: 111.3
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts