Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Tuesday Q&A with receiver Demarcus Sweat

By: LARRY VAUGHT

DeMarcus Sweat

Question: When you scored your first touchdown on a 56-yard catch and run against Kent State, why was there not a huge burst of emotion from you?
    Sweat: “I have always been like that. You just expect a lot for yourself and want to act like you have been there and will be back. You don’t want any 15-yard penalties (for celebrating) to hurt the team. You want to act like you have done this. I am a freshman and there should be more to come.”

Question: Was it just spontaneous to high-five the cheerleaders when you did score?
    Sweat: “It was just popped in my head. I just felt like the crowd would be in it if I gave the cheerleaders a little touch like that.”

Question: Do you feel you are progressing as fast as you hoped you would?
    Sweat: “I mean as far ... yes with the playbook and benefitting the team. I was just really focused on getting on the field and helping the team out as much as I could as a freshman. So I guess you could say yes that I am benefitting the team a good little bit right now as a freshman.”

Question: Is that the kind of explosive play you can make either catching passes or returning kicks?
    Sweat: “Yes. We have a lot of good receivers. When my name is called and I get in there, I am going to try and make something good happen for the team.”

Question: How hard is it to pick up the blocking assignments?
    Sweat: “It is not hard. The game moves way faster than high school, but once you get a little hang of it you are going to start picking up the blocks and everything will come natural.”

Question: Has the offense been better than you expected?
    Sweat: “We are progressing every week. That’s the main thing. We run a fast offense, so everybody is picking up the signals well and helping each other out when we are not. We are on a good roll.”

Question: Are you curious yet about what it might be like to play a Southeastern Conference road game?
    Sweat: “It is going to be kind of different going down there to Florida (Sept. 22). It is all a game. It will all be the same. Just keep your composure and act like you have been there and play hard.”

Question: How do you change from such a soft-spoken, fun-loving person off the field to the all-business player on the field?
    Sweat: “On that field, it is all work and no play. Outside the field, you can be one person. On the field, it’s all work. You have to treat that like your job and do it well.”

Question: What was the reaction like on campus to your first Kentucky touchdown?
    Sweat: “My teachers, Mr. McClutkin the music teacher watches all the games. My psychology teacher, Dr. Golden, he said something about it. As far as that, it was just helping the team.”

Question: Are you a big music guy?
    Sweat: “Yes. My mom is and pointed me to a lot of music growing up. I just got into music and studying all that.”

Question: Are you a singer?
    Sweat: “No, but I do listen to music a lot.”
    Comments 3 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Larry. I loved the answers he gave. He is very mature in talking with you, and very humble. He has all the tools to be a great player for UK imo.
      Darrell KSR -
      Can't wait to see him against Florida. I know they have beaten us like a drum at times, but we've had some notable skill player breakout games against them, too. Would not hurt my feelings to see a 2 TD, 100 yard receiving day in Gainesville. Of course, I would not object if he wanted to do it first against Western....
      Jimcats -
      As long as we play teams against which our O-line can provide decent protection, the passing game will be fine. I'm so happy for Boyd that I'd like to see him once again be the star of the receiver corps.

It's great to once again have a QB that I can feel confidence in. Since the O-line protected pretty well against the Cards, they probably can do the same for at least half the SEC teams we play this year. And we'll be in those games all the way.
  • KSR Twitter Feed